No announcement yet.

Carsales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like Volvo headrests, incorrect later gearshift knob and black trim lenses for indicators which should be silver for a 72.

I am sure other anoraks here will find some other 'issues'.

Its a pity when they are asking top dollar that they cant get these small items correct. Makes you wonder what other shortcuts they took ?
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Looks familiar, Was for sale at Duttons and used to be Togo brown.

The Australian TYP 901 register is forum for enthusiasts who pay homage to this remarkable machine.
      Last edited by PD Targa; 09-10-14, 09:12 PM.
      Peter D

TYP901# 233
      911T Coupe 68
      911E Targa 73
      911E Coupe 72 (sold)
      1974 BMW 3.0cs (sold)

Comment

A bloke I met in QLD was looking at this car to buy.

He said the motor and gearbox are tired and it was "sloppy" to drive. He drove mine as a comparison and said mine drove significantly better than that car.

These are his words on the car:

"Gearbox and engine are tired. Non original 915 gearbox whines. Had 2 engine seal replacements in the last 2000 miles, oil leaks from the block, floor mat carpets don't match, shockies shot and leaking oil , non origonal paint and rust coming through already- wonder where else the rust is hiding, comfort seat springs shot, wanders over 60mph. Asking above concours price with much to spend. It's not Heath Ledger's missing Porsche"

Cheers,

Harry.
        Last edited by Harry; 09-10-14, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Ouch

Comment

Originally posted by Cairns888 View Post
            http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...tent=autoalert

A very nice example.
            Does anyone know the owner?
            Not very nice at all it seems
            Clyde Boyer
            TYP 901 Register Inc.
            President
            Early S Register Member #294

Comment

The car is probably fine in many respects (except the head restraints ...) but it is the price that seems way out for reported condition.

Comment

Originally posted by PD Targa View Post
                Looks familiar, Was for sale at Duttons and used to be Togo brown.

http://www.typ901.org/showthread.php...ht=Sepia+brown
                Yep I remember that car now. The headrests are a dead giveaway.
                sigpicPhil Lack
                R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Not having a crack at anyone so don't take this the wrong way.
                  Not so much about this post but why is it "Porsche forums" always pick the bad things out and never the good things?
                  Shouldn't the price matter for only the person who gets out his wallet to pay for it?
                  Lots of good things in these cars are overlooked by the little smallest of details.

Everyone has the right to say what they want but when you spend time on other car forums they take the car for what it is and they are 40 to 50 year old cars and have been tuned and fixed up or modified from "A class mechanics" to "back yard have a go's"
                  It is healthy to get into the bad bits in case someone is serious at looking at buying a car.
                  This forum is outstanding for that. It just seems a lot of negatives all the time when someone sells a car.
                  I have only been in the Porsche side of things for less than a year so just speaking from the outside looking in.
                  Like I said is not meant to offend anyone.

I promise to be extremely careful when mentioning that a Porsche is a very nice example. Ha ha

Comment

It's certainly a great colour!

Comment

Jim, I think the comments are more about the fact that the asking price is in the very top margin - "Concours A".
                      John Forcier
                      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                      Restoration Saga
                      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

I was making my comments as some new members here might not pick these items and in the world of early 911's, when someone is asking top dollar, they need to get the car 'correct'.

I have since heard from other members privately about what they know about this car and its history. The previous thread showing its original colour is part of that history and needs to be understood by any serious buyer in the $100K+ range.

The car that Clyde recently sold was indeed worthy of commanding the price it did (similar) and did have all the correct items.

FYI the silver trimmed lenses are more expensive than black trimmed ones and are commonly replaced with black when someone is doing a budget minded resto. Same goes for gear shift knob.

These little things may appear anal to some members new to the 901 world but to serious collectors and aficionados, these are the difference between a good car and a great car - and what make it worth the asking price.

Presenting a car for sale with those obviously incorrect headrests demonstrates to me that the seller doesnt know his early cars that well or doesnt care about getting it right. So if thats the attitude on headrests, what else might they have taken the same attitude on re other items on the car ?

To my mind, when someone wants to talk up a car so much in their ad, then it needs to live up to that hype.

This forum exists to discuss all aspects of these early 901's and new members are (hopefully) drawn to this knowledge base and hope to get good, solid information. I posted my comments to alert anyone not that familiar with these cars as to what was not correct on it and why (perhaps) it could not be worth the asking price.

I am sure some buyers will knock my 72 Targa when it comes on the market over various issues like LHD-RHD conversion and wrong colour, but the asking price will reflect these facts and I could not have been more open regarding this car given the extensive photographic thread that has been posted elsewhere on the forum. I did remove the black trimmed lenses and replaced them with silver ones and rectified various incorrect issues with the car, but its by no means a perfect car. It is, however, a solid car and all the evidence is there to see that.

For this car under discussion its always Caveat Emptor.
                        sigpicPhil Lack
                        R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Fair call Phil.
                          Like I said I am new to this whole scene.

I suppose if there wasn't such a massive amount of money being thrown around this would not happen.

If the car in this thread was $20k then everyone would say nice colour. It is reasonably straight and the interior is liveable.
                          More positives than negatives.
                          I got into these cars to drive and have some fun. Stone chips, incorrect things don't bother me at all. If the value goes up along the way all the better. I highly doubt it as everything I touch turns to ****.

I do respect the hard earned journey of getting a car back to original and also the passion you guys have for the originality of the brand.

Anyway I think that is enough said.

Off to do some work on the Moke.

Have a ripper weekend everyone!!!!!

Comment

+ 1 with John & Phil.
                            Look beneath the gloss & see the detail. Difficult when a newby, but as Phil says this is what forums are for, to help the uneducated.

Moto

Comment

Originally posted by Cairns888 View Post
                              If the car in this thread was $20k then everyone would say nice colour. It is reasonably straight and the interior is liveable.
                              More positives than negatives.
                              That's hitting the nail on the head... Praise is inversely proportional to the asking price divided by originality If it was a $60k car, it would be "terrific value"
                              John Forcier
                              1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                              1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                              Restoration Saga
                              1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Working...
                              X