Carsales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
    That's hitting the nail on the head... Praise is inversely proportional to the asking price divided by originality If it was a $60k car, it would be "terrific value"
    My point also earlier Jim. It looks a decent car but if it was 30-40K less ...will be interesting to see how it goes, however. See you Sunday.

Comment

Still trying to wrap my head around "Praise is inversely proportional to the asking price divided by originality"…..I love it & will use it without really understanding the mathematics of it….ha ha….nice one !!
      Matt Read

1989 944 (rally car)
      1994 993 (road car)
      1994 BMW M3 (salt lake racer)
      1999 GT3 (Nations Cup Championship)

Ex - 1967 912, 1970 911T, 1971 911T, 1971 911E, 1976 Carrera

901 #160
      PCV #528

Comment

I have a slightly different take on the market and this comes from my recent involvement with these cars. There seem to be 4 main drivers and they are the market, the Australian dollar, Factory RHD and matching numbers. Condition, provenence originality overlay all this. From the recent sales I have seen for coupes it seems that a lot are going overses, and some reasonable $ are being paid for the better cars. The dropping $ from when I imported a 62 Corvette ex the US at approx $1.06 to a $ that is tipped to go to around $80 cents will see the Australian market as an island andall the guides become history.
        The list that I can work off are Alex's car Sal's car the blue one the Healey Factory just sold and the car I just bought from Clyde.
        On top off that if you watch Australian delivered, low km's 930 Turbo sales they are now in the 90's to 100K bracket and are normally sold within a fortnight and again England is showing keen interest.
        Neville

Comment

As a newby to the early 911 ownership team, I appreciate these threads which help me highlight the difference between accurate and "close enough".

I would not have picked the gearknob, but those headrests!!!!!

Comment

Basically, I wanted a car that I could drive, preserve and enjoy. They are so much fun to hustle along. Garage queens are nice, but life is too short to leave them there. If you see these cars as an investment in the main, then you are always going to have some disappointments and some difficult cost-benefit equations along the way. A solid car mechanically and particularly body wise, that has not been too messed with, was where I was at initially.

The little things, and some big things, that reduce originality can be addressed over time, to the extent that they are relevant. Keeping an eye on future value in a world market is important, as is the balance between preservation and restoration. Everyone has their own take on that, however.

Great drive today Jim. Now to get your carbs re-built!

Comment

Hughs comments in the original thread about this car when it was brown show it was delivered with a Sporto trans so its not really 'matching numbers' as advertised.

Given the hype these days about originality, why wasnt it repainted its original colour for resale ?
              sigpicPhil Lack
              TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
              Early 911-S Registry # 690
              R-Gruppe # 367
              '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
              '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
              2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
              1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
                Given the hype these days about originality, why wasnt it repainted its original colour for resale ?
                Ha ha ha
                John Forcier
                1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                Restoration Saga
                1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Hughs comments in the original thread about this car when it was brown show it was delivered with a Sporto trans so its not really 'matching numbers' as advertised.

huh?!?!?

The Australian TYP 901 register is forum for enthusiasts who pay homage to this remarkable machine.
                  Richard Griffiths
                  1970 911T 2.8

Comment

The reasons for not painting my 72 targa back to its original colour are well documented on that thread.

I was merely stating that since this seller DID repaint the car, then why didnt they paint in its original colour.

I didnt want to repaint mine because I doubted I would be able to get the required price to cover these costs. This seller has obviously spent the dollars to repaint but in a non-original colour. And now my guess is that might probably mean they dont get their money back.

None of you guys are preparing a car for resale. All the money you spend is because you are keeping your car. Its a different proposition when you are fixing the car to resell it. If you are ever in this position yourselves, you may appreciate why I have made the comments I have.
                    Last edited by e72phil; 13-10-14, 01:15 PM.
                    sigpicPhil Lack
                    R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

I cast, I hooked and I landed...
                      John Forcier
                      Restoration Saga

Comment

I cast, I hooked and I landed...
                        Richard Griffiths
                        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Dont worry John, I'll have my camera in Vegas next October and no doubt will catch you in a compromising moment and extract my revenge accordingly.
                          sigpicPhil Lack
                          R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Dont worry John, I'll have my camera in Vegas next October and no doubt will catch you in a compromising moment and extract my revenge accordingly.
                            Absolutely no doubt about it
                            John Forcier
                            Restoration Saga

Comment

Absolutely no doubt about it
                              Start googling Crazy Horse III...
                              sigpicPhil Lack
                              R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

I was thinking more Hangover II. can't wait to hear who comes back with the face tattoo...be careful John, Campbell wd put you in jail in a pink jumpsuit for a face tattoo in the PS!

Comment

Working...
                                X