Clear All

Car sales - 1972 911S Targa $190k

Nice converted Targa... Will reserve comment on the asking price

No affiliation!

Tom Laube
    Instagram - #first_corner_fever

Porsche - '73 LHD 911T, '72 RHD 911T, '79 All Rounder SC
    VW - '60 Type1 Factory Sunroof, '64 Kombi

There will be an old thread on here from when it was last sold by the previous owner in SA when it was on at sub $150K about 9 mths ago

Comment

Hi Neville

Did it sell perviously or was it withdrawn?

Cheers
      Adam

Comment

Reading the ad it sounds like it is being on sold.
        Was over in WA wed to Friday last week stayed at Freo for 2 nights and 3 days to celebrate my wifes birthday.
        No time to catch up with anybody but loved the Bohemian nature of Freo and Cottisloe was also awesome. Not much car action though.
        Nev

Comment

Yeah I remember this car being for sale at $140K. Not sure if its ever sold or was just withdrawn and now the owner is taking advantage of the frenzied prices.
          sigpicPhil Lack
          TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
          Early 911-S Registry # 690
          R-Gruppe # 367
          '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
          '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
          2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
          1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

It's nice. Only a few conversion "tells" obvious.

I'll go on a limb and call the asking price 'ambitious'. But they don't make any more S cars...
            John Forcier
            1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
            1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
            Restoration Saga
            1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

John
              I agree that it is ambitious - especially since they never made any RHD 72 targas - may be a bit different if it was a 73 car converted (at least to me)
              If they get that sort of price maybe I should join you in offering my car into that sort of "frenzy" (the only problem is that we could never replace them )
              Hugh Hodges
              1973 E
              Australian TYP 901 Register #005
              Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Suspect its a re-list. Still in SA
                Cam Arnott
                Looking for engine #6208151
                1970 911E (Sold)
                '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                2 x Split Screen Kombis
                TYP 901 Register # 78
                Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

The sad thing is - some of these cars are becoming too valuable to drive regularly. The move from enthusiast car to potential investment is moving too fast.

Comment

Yes merv.
                    I may have to go back to lancias :p

They haven't moved up in value or price at all in recent years and the "real Lancias" have both the engineering pedigree and the competition pedigree, as well as styling brilliance to rival the pre 1973 Porsches
                    Hugh Hodges
                    1973 E
                    Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                    Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Originally posted by HughH View Post
                      Yes merv.
                      I may have to go back to lancias :p

They haven't moved up in value or price at all in recent years and the "real Lancias" have both the engineering pedigree and the competition pedigree, as well as styling brilliance to rival the pre 1973 Porsches
                      I'm with you Hugh. I used to have 2 Lancia beta coupes, although not real Lancias I had lots of fun in them. I wouldn't mind a little Fulvia.
                      Peter D

TYP901# 233
                      911T Coupe 68
                      911E Targa 73
                      911E Coupe 72 (sold)
                      1974 BMW 3.0cs (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
                        The sad thing is - some of these cars are becoming too valuable to drive regularly. The move from enthusiast car to potential investment is moving too fast.
                        Totally agree Merv, the jump in values over the past two years has been insane and (speaking only for myself) has taken some of the fun out of the hobby/passion/obsession. One of the things that I've always loved about the early Porsche scene is/was-- to quote The Castle-- "the vibe of thing." The 356 Outlaw culture, R Gruppe, etc. Guys just enjoying the cars, messing with them if they want to, etc.

Even if you are rolling in cash, I don't think a $200,000 - $1m car can be enjoyed in the same "pure and carefree" way as a $50k - $100k car . . . the money gets in the way. And of course, it's not just the cars, the cost of parts, service and restoration has just followed the car values.

I have moments when I consider selling the 71S and buying something like a 2006 Cayman S . . . they are incredibly good value at ~$60k. My call is that the early Cayman is going to be the car that takes forward the "R Gruppe" spirit over the next 10 years.
                        Last edited by npvpositive; 24-05-15, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
                          Hi Merv,

I dunno, I feel that my car is worth (to me) what I paid for it and really don't pay any attention to the frenzy surrounding pricing.

I'm happy to drive my car at any opportunity I get.

Cheers,

Harry.

Comment

Yes Hugh I was looking at a 1.6 Fulvia HF the other night. Not expensive, brilliant engineering and a great car. As was my old Alfa 1750 GTV.

Comment

If I could buy back my old RX2 with the rally suspension,saas frt seats thumping stereo,broken speedo,heavy duty roof racks for heaps of surfboards,twin round frt/rear lights and 13b I would in a flash.
                              Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Working...
                              X