1972 RHD 2.4E at Oldtimer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am old and confused

Think the car for sale is a cool colour metallic blue 324 pity its now white
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post
      I am old and confused

Think the car for sale is a cool colour metallic blue 324 pity its now white

Agree, would be really nice in its original colour...
      Damian Royce
      TYP 901 Foundation Member #12

Instagram: @classiccaraddict

Comment

Hi all

I have registered as I am close to buying this car and I was looking for opinions. ( I'm not in Australia)

I am aware of the colour change (and can see that it's not the best quality) , I can see the interior needs a lot of work and I understand that the engine needs a 're seal' as its leaking oil. Not ideal - but on the other hand there are hardly any Rhd e cars around (and lhd would not work for me) -and 30 year ownership history is great. Would this be an ill advised buy?

Also - Any thoughts on whether the seats are original ones which have been re-covered - or are they non porsche?

Thoughts very gratefully received.

Regards
        Vimal

Comment

Not sure Vimal. It looks a solid car. The mirrors are wrong, hood badge is wrong, carpets look tired and the seat are odd. I suspect they are not Porsche seats, but may be wrong. They look a bit like re-covered Comfort seats, but the side panels seem wrong. Covers are idiosyncratic and out of character. The head restraints aren't original. I actually like the white more than metallic blue ... So, nothing major there but I would want to know more about the injection system and its recent driving history.

High, top of the market price.
          Last edited by Merv; 24-08-15, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Hi Merv - the car was laid up for around 10 years and recommissioned a few years ago. pump was fixed and injectors replaced amongst other things and the car drives well other than oil leakage.

Comment

Sounds good. It is in Brisbane so maybe on of the local guys could have a look at it or get a prepurchase inspection done at the nearby Porsche centre or also nearby T&D Porsche. Rust seems your last checkpoint

Comment

Looks to be on the face of it a nice old girl that has survived. It is an E, matching numbers with some nice options and probably ex UK and the dash is correct and the door trims seems to be mostly there. Paint is non original; seats and inserts strange and generally needs a tidy up. But what price an E and where else will you find a factory RHD example. Needs some wriggle room in price and someone that will drive and renew slowly. My lowly T is insured for around that figure but has some really nice options and history.
                Hope this helps.

Comment

It looks like someone cut up some old curtains for the current seat inserts. I agree with Merv the headrests dont appear original in shape but are probably retrimmed by the same guy who did the seats. Possibly correct shape underneath or the foam was shaped to suit.

The seats appear to be correct Comfort seats.

I think new carpet, door pockets and seat retrim will bring it back to looking original but would be negotiating on price because the asking price would be more acceptable with all these items 'correct'.

Potential rust issues need to be considered and the mechanical state of the engine, transmission and suspension also closely considered as these can also eat up lots of dollars to get right.
                  sigpicPhil Lack
                  TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                  Early 911-S Registry # 690
                  R-Gruppe # 367
                  '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                  '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                  2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                  1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

My 2c is that the price is appropriate for that car, but as other suggest; in more original condition than it is currently and it should be discounted appropriately.

For $170k I'd want all numbers matching - including the colour, and a complete and original interior. I'd argue it's $15k over valued (and $15k would not correct the current paint and upholstery issues perfectly), however it's a crazy Porsche market right now.

I don't know enough about share markets and investing to save myself (that's what I pay others for), but I wonder if the current market instability going on at the moment may not 'cool' the prices on collectable cars?
                    Last edited by Fishcop; 25-08-15, 10:28 PM.
                    John Forcier
                    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                    Restoration Saga
                    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Unfortunately not yet Fischcop. CTS had an immaculate 89 Carrera at $125K listed Friday/Saturday just gone. I started haggling yesterday getting leak down reports and other stuff but it was sold before I got a chance to make an offer.

Comment

Nev Do you think it made $125k??????

Comment

Originally posted by vimal View Post
                          Hi Merv - the car was laid up for around 10 years and recommissioned a few years ago. pump was fixed and injectors replaced amongst other things and the car drives well other than oil leakage.
                          Vimal

I would get pics of the bosche MFI pump tag that can be seen to ensure its still a genuine E pump

Seats are original but a horrid re trim job on the seat and the headrest

I think its quite overpriced even with the current hot pricing going on reapaint and retrim is $30k minimum and obviously shipping for you too

Just my 10c worth.
                          Clyde Boyer
                          TYP 901 Register Inc.
                          President
                          Early S Register Member #294

Comment

I had been talking to Simon since Sunday and he gave a prett sound rationale to the pricing when I asked him about the burgundy Carrera they had been trying to sell for the last few mths that ranged between $85 and $90 so If they were going to discount I believe he would have tried to close me down before negotiating below their predetermined amount. looking at the Sc at $99 that has just been listed and what has been selling I do not see that things are slowing yet. There was even an 85 Carrera Cab in Brighton a couple of weeks ago at $90 that was snapped in a matter of days.

Comment

Those seats look sweet...was this car owned by Royalty?
                              Now if that's the case it is worth every cent!
                              Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Thanks for the replies - really helpful. It is hard to assess the market - there are a lot of nice lhd cars around - but there are no real comparables currently for Rhd.

The mfi pump was rebuilt through the official Porsche centre on the Gold Coast (they sub contracted the job) - so reasonably comfortable on that.

Do you all think that a re trim would be as much as 30k (aud)?

Also do Australian cars rust as much as those in Europe? (This is a Gold Coast car)

Also does anyone have an idea of how many Rhd cars were made vs Lhd

Vimal

Comment

Working...
                                X