For sale 1968T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For sale 1968T

EOI sought for the purchase of this dandy.

I am selling an Australian delivered 1968T and before listing it ‘publicly’, thought it the gentlemanly thing to do and offer it here, for 901ers to mutter and wring their hands, before I put myself into the mosh pit which is carsales/gumtree,

Chassis # 11820830
    Engine # 2180225,

Colour code 6807, Sand Beige

This is a matching numbers Australian delivered 1968T as confirmed by PCA.

REPEAT - Despite the factory fitment of ‘sugar scoops’, this is a matching numbers Australian delivered 1968T as confirmed by PCA.

The fitment of the sugar scoops remain perplexing, and through discussion with Hugh Hodges, we have realised a number of early sporto’s had these factory fitted – like the ‘discovery’ of factory delivered LHD targas in 1970 ish you learn something new.

Built in April 1968, the T was delivered via Hamiltons and was part of the first delivery of RHD Sportomatics, and is considered to be the second earliest surviving unmolested sporto.

The car has a known ownership history from new, delivery and service books, receipts, owners’ diary and its original registration – KAJ 666. KAJ 666 was also featured in a 1984 magazine celebrating 21 years.

The first owners Joyce and Tom Horsfield, were loyal customers and friends of Alan Hamilton and would as each new model appeared dutifully trade in or sell their old car. Sometime before the purchase of the KAJ 666, Tom had lost a leg and been long time Porsche enthusiast, rather than giving up 911 ownership opted for a sporto. Joyce was also an avid fan of this car and on it been sold, on Monday 17th May 1971, wrote a letter (included with the car) to the new owner…

Dear New Owners:

Well at 8.05am, tomorrow morning, I’ll be saying: There goes my very favourite Porsche. She is a beautiful car and my husband has looked after it well. The colour is lovely in the summer time – no glare and in winter it is a nice light colour and easy to see in the fading light. We have been using HandyAndy pink detergent on all the windows when washing the car and Forzelack Hard finish wax to give it a good shine. We hope you will like it as much as we have in the past.

Our first Porsche was a dark grey 356b with red upholstery. It was a nice car to drive but the colour scheme was not so good. The next Porsche was one of those horrible “monsters” (in my estimation) with 5 forward gears and one reverse, I never could find the right gear at the right time and the day we sold it was a happy day for me. I guess there was really nothing wrong with the car – it was just me. My own little car is a very nippy Hillman Imp and I figured that 4 gears were plenty so why in the name of fortune did Porsche have to put 6 gears in a car?

Then along came this little beauty – Sportomatic. You can drive it for hours without getting tired. I have never written to New Owners before but I feel this lovely car deserves it. Be kind to it please and I’m sure you will have years of happy motoring.

Our new Porsche is a metallic gold with the light beige upholstery.

Good luck!

Joyce and Tom Horsfield.

This Sporto is not a concourse queen – it has been driven, enjoyed and loved. However, it does have a few things that cannot be bought or easily manufactured (legally anyways J ) – patina, originality and provenance.

The car has a number of nice options fitted from factory:

· Rear wiper
    · Long range tank
    · Pepita fabric inserts

Has complete original tool kit.
    Original radio fitted

Also fitted are SSI heat exchangers.

The car is in great condition, there are however two obvious ‘faults’ the driver side seat has evident wear on the upper back, from years of cashmere sweaters rubbing the weft and waft and it had a correct colour repaint (6807) in 2006. Prior to its repaint the sporto was wearing almost 80% original paint and whilst looking a little mismatched, it wore it as well as Dennis Brookes, in a mustard coloured cardie J. The repaint, was done well, though if you come to see the car you will note a few minor and easily corrected blemishes, one of which, the result of a bicycle falling against the car.

This car has buckets of charm - certainly more than me.

If you know what you are looking at and are seriously interested, please contact.

P.S re: pricing and to maintain forum etiquette $196,800.00
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Michel; 03-09-15, 11:19 PM. Reason: price

Attached Files

Comment

more
      Attached Files

Comment

bit more
        Attached Files

Comment

and some more
          Attached Files

Comment

Lovely.

You know Clyde will spank you without a price...
            John Forcier
            1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
            1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
            Restoration Saga
            1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

ive got my pants down..
              Last edited by Michel; 03-09-15, 10:02 AM.

Comment

What' the magic number Michel?
                Cam Arnott
                Looking for engine #6208151
                1970 911E (Sold)
                '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                2 x Split Screen Kombis
                TYP 901 Register # 78
                Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Good Luck with the sale.

I will be watching with interest as my car was a July 68 build, also a Hamilton's delivery and still matching Numbers and also a sporto.

Probably arrived at the same time in Aust.

Also interested as to the $ price.

Best of luck again. A lovely car especially the colour.

Comment

It's interesting that such an early chassis number has a mag case engine and 3 bar grill. No slight on providence - it's just interesting to see the anomalies in the notoriously inconsistent 68 year.

GLWS - I have no doubt it will draw keen interest.
                    John Forcier
                    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                    Restoration Saga
                    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

documentation
                      Attached Files

Comment

Yeah maybe it's the 2nd oldest surviving australian delivered sporto ... mine's xxxx0525.

Comment

cool i'll edit post

Comment

Originally posted by ELSPORTO View Post
                            Yeah maybe it's the 2nd oldest surviving australian delivered sporto ... mine's xxxx0525.
                            elsporto corrected post...btw your car have sugar scoops fitted?

Comment

No mine doesn't have the sugar scoops - maybe that's an 'L' versus 'T' thing?

Mine has a mag case and a 3 bar grill.

I had an original early build '55 beetle which had a few interior, exterior and engine 1954 "one year only" parts on it - my theory is they used up all the left over old parts on the new cars.

Who knows?!?!

Beautiful car and amazing provenance Michel - no doubt it will be hard to see it go.

Comment

Working...
                              X