RHD Dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi John,

I don't know a lot about the differences between the various systems and bought a Tomtom XL one due to what I thought was very quick processing / reprocessing. What part of the world do Tomtom GPS systems not cover? I've used mine through Europe successfully but that's about it.

As an aside I've downloaded all the fixed speed camera and red light camera info into mine so it gives me a verbal and visual warnings when close. Updated monthly.

Cheers,
    Paul Wischer
    1969 911T
    1979 Californian Moke
    TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Hi Paul

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Tomtom, particulary in Europe. I understand that it's some of the more obscure areas like South America and some parts of Asia that Tomtom does not have available mapping. But a competent GIS tech can "create" the maps you might need by using available mapping layers and access to the appropriate program to make the file suitable to Tomtom.

Garmin has close links with the manufacturer of the ArcMap and ArcView programs who basically 'commission' electronic mapping depending on demand which means they have purchased a lot of the modern electronic cadastral mapping throughout the world and regularly purchase the latest satellite imagery - what they can't purchase, they create and therefore own...

I also liked that Garmin has all it's mapping available on SD cards which are available for purchase or to rent. The renting option makes it really attractive as I'm unlikely to need to own the data long-term.
      John Forcier
      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
      Restoration Saga
      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Thanks for the info John - as I said I don't know a lot about this. The renting idea for the maps is a great concept.

I have a great source for the downloading of the latest maps / speed trap data etc. If interested PM me.

Cheers,
        Paul Wischer
        1969 911T
        1979 Californian Moke

Comment

Paul, can you PM dtails as well. I could do with some help with speed camers.

If anyone is going to Europe, I have a Gramin SD Card for use over there. Unbelievable how well it works and no agruements with the little missus.

Comment

Yes please Paul, PM me.
            John Forcier
            1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
            1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
            Restoration Saga
            1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

PMs sent
              Paul Wischer
              1969 911T
              1979 Californian Moke

Comment

Working...
              X