TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTB - Chrome engine grill (preferably a 69)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the ebay tip, I'll be busy so Devo, you have 1 less competitor.
    Thanks to the all for the info on resto etc
    Cheers
    Jeff
    Jeff Eelkema
    TYP 901 #132
    S-Reg #1431
    69E (project)
    various bevel Ducatis
    60s Vespa

Comment

Thanks Jeff, but it looks like I have found one - just have to work out postage details. It is strange how prices work on ebay, the last one I tracked had about 25 bids with a day to go and was at about $300 - maybe no one wants the earlier (pre-69) ones?

Comment

Thats because their different to what you want I think
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President
        Early S Register Member #294

Comment

I'm looking for a black plastic grille that you guys might be removing. My budget is 'cheap' - please feel free to PM me..

Thanks,

Craig H

Comment

So I have finally purchased a 69 grille (after a false start with a buy via Pelican board) - ebay was ultimately my friend ($350 including postage), so I hope it is in good condition when it arrives. There have also been quite a few others recently which have gone for cheaper amounts, but they have all been pre-69s.

Car is getting close to finished - just a few things more to do. Next thing is to space out the wheels to fill the guards. Here is a first photo, with more to follow when all is finished.
            Attached Files

Comment

Great looking car!
              John Forcier
              1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
              1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
              Restoration Saga
              1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Bloody lovely

More photos please!
                Cam Arnott
                Looking for engine #6208151
                1970 911E (Sold)
                '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                2 x Split Screen Kombis
                TYP 901 Register # 78
                Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Thanks John and Cameron. This is the last photo I have (and it was only taken with my phone, like the other one, so not great). You can see how the 7's and 8's need to be spaced out to fill the guards, particularly in the front. More photos to follow in a couple of weeks.

And I got my grill today - not too bad condition, but most of the bars are a bit bent. Still, much better than the black plastic thing.

Thanks
                  Nathan
                  Attached Files

Comment

looks great Nathan.

Either get the wheels spaced out or get some wheels made up that are the offset you need. Ask Harry W, he could make them up for you.
                    Alex Webster
                    A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

I restored my grill a few years ago by pulling it completely apart. I used matte black on the mesh and polished each bar individually... they're quite fragile and easily bent. If I did it again, I'd make up a 'jig' out of a soft pine 2x4 and a 5mm routed channel and tap each bar into the channel to straighten it. I did it this time by hand and a straight edge.

The only thing that keeps me from going to the ST front guards is wheel width... and my obsessive compulsive desire to have 'correct' wheels... and I can't afford 9" or even 11" rears Have you thought about putting your 8" to the front and using 'mini-lites' for the rear a la factory circa 1969?
                      John Forcier
                      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                      Restoration Saga
                      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Thanks John, I will have to plan the restoration - some of the bars are popping off as I flex the grill on to the car, so I have some immediate work to do.

On the wheels, I have thought about the 10" performance superlites, but the tyre issue is too hard - I don't really want to pay $500+ per tyre for the TB15's. I wanted to stay with 7's and 8's as the 8's seem to be the limit under the tarmac rally regs (unless I am reading them wrong), and I need to use 7's all round for Group Nc racing. So the solution seems to be to use spacers (Alex, I kind of like the idea of real fuchs having picked up a great set), and then use superlites for racing (with different offsets front to rear). I already have a set of superlites (7"), but they use different offsets to what I now want to use, so I will put them up for sale shortly.

Nathan

Comment

NICE car Nathan!

Comment

nathan

great looking car. another option is fitting 8's all round with 225's on the rear and 205's on the front. the 205's will fit an 8 and should result in a little less side wall flex.

Comment

Nice Nathan, very nice. Now we have you started hopefully you won't be able to stop.

If and when I paint my 69S I would like it to look as nice as your car does
                              Clyde Boyer
                              TYP 901 Register Inc.
                              President
                              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...
                              X