Fs: 1968 911l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fs: 1968 911l

Thinking about selling the 68L project I have here in Port Macquarie. Essentially the car (and me) are at a cross-road and I'm very happy doing other stuff these days. The car could form the basis of a lovely 2.0 SWB restoration to semi-original condition; a super SWB hot-rod; or the direction I was heading was a very desirable historic competition car eligible for Group S, and Targa events. There is some minor running around a buyer might need to do as engines are at Promotive Engineering in Brisbane pending rebuilds to your instruction and cost (or retrieval and delivery to your preferred mechanic), but otherwise everything else is located in Port Macquarie NSW (actually stored inland at Wauchope away from coast air).

I could part out everything individually and potentially maximise the value, but I’m a pragmatist living by the ocean away from the hustle and bustle of the cities and just not up for the argy-bargy of selling. So, I’ve decided to make the deal as positive for myself and the buyer as possible by including everything related to the car and at a realistic price and I’m even including the excellent NSW registered Tilta trailer it’s on, so all a buyer would need is a decent sized ute or van for all the spares and a tow-hitch. (FWIW, I rented a Ford Transit LWB van to get it all to Port Macquarie).

Here’s what is on offer:
    • 1968 911L USA delivered LHD (SWB) chassis# 11805114. Originally Ossi Blue, but currently in 6/10 Viper Green. Very little rust - previous owner had a new floor put in and some other rust work done plus average 2pac paint.
    • Import approval (email from DIRD) and no asbestos issues... (It’s been in Australia over 20 years and I think was registered in Victoria once before)
    • Matching number magnesium engine (one of the first) and 901 gearbox with the uber rare 901 ZF LSD. Engine/chassis was verbally checked with Porsche Australia – I can’t offer you written proof, but those of you who know how will be able to verify
    • Original engine currently at Promotive Engineering in Brisbane pending a rebuild - engine components are clean and measured up and can be built to any spec at this point ($5k spent so far on repairs, clean up, machining, and 3.2 oil pump). Original weber carburettors are missing, was going to go with PMO. There is a set of weber IDTPs which will require work.
    • There is an additional 69T engine also at Promotive ready to be rebuilt to any spec (I was intending a nice “S” spec engine for Group S. Also have an additional 901 5spd gearbox suit rebuild for spare/racing).
    • Minimal interior – RS door cards, original interior wheel arch trim, door tops, parcel tray, and new headliner. Perfect base for a Group S build or hotrod. Returning the car to original could be done, but it would be hard as 1968 is a difficult year to source interior components due to the very low overall production number for that year and the fact that it was a “change-over” period to the LWB.
    • Complete rubber and seal kit to suit SWB (mostly Sierra Madre, some Porsche), a lot of spare engine and gearbox seals as well.
    • Two sets of original glass plus polycarbonate rear.
    • Extensive steering rack, suspension and brake restoration done. Everything powder coated and/or gold zinc plated including the very rare 68S brakes that came with the US ‘L’ spec. Elephant Racing hollow TBs in 23/33. Does need new/restored Koni inserts.
    • Complete extra set of SWB hanging panels (hood, bumpers, front fenders, and rear lid). Pretty much enough to completely backdate a later car or repair a forward-dated car.
    • Spare front and rear lights/lenses
    • Tilta single axle trailer - current NSW registered to August 2018, new lights, tyres and winch,
      and completely roadworthy.
    • AGI made (Sydney) CAMS spec bolt-in roll cage with paperwork.
    What does it need to finish? Not 100% sure as I received the car completely disassembled and everything in boxes. But no reason to think it's not all there... (Caveat emptor) Cost to finish on top of purchase? You'd need to decide on the direction and specification, I'd say $20-50k and you'd recover a lot of this cost if you were happy to sell off the spare parts you don't want or need if you don't take it racing.
    • Choose an engine to rebuild (I was going to go with original spec for the correct engine and Group S spec for the spare 2.0)
    • Choose a gearbox to rebuild (I was going to shelve original with ZF LSD and build spare box with it's current AFMSX ratio.
    • Decide on keeping current paint or go back to metal and original color. (I was going to leave the current green for a track car, but I'd look at going back to original Ossi Blau for a hotrod/partial resto)

I know pricing is difficult, but I’m pretty much offering up everything one would need to dive balls-deep into an easy restoration with lots of options and a heap of spares to either use or sell off to defray costs – you could almost build up another early 911 if you’re sitting on another SWB rolling chassis. Lots of stuff already done https://www.typ901.org/forum/forum/t...6-my-swb-racer

Asking $90,000 for everything as is, where is (Car on registered trailer and spares in Port Macquarie, two disassembled but cleaned engines in Brisbane). I'm not up for parting out or separating stuff at this time.

PM me here or email ossiblau at gmail dot com - I can do the phone call thing if you're serious, but am out on field work a lot of this week with intermittent reception.
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

So much good stuff there.

Comment

fabtastic opportunity for some one to build something really special.
      Craig
      12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
      1972 2.4E Targa project
      1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Looks like a great project for somebody. I wish I had the spare cash to grab it. Would be great fun.

Comment

Big move fishy. All the best with your new found direction. You have always been a font of knowledge on the forum. Nev

Comment

good luck with the sale Fishy.

looks like a great opportunity for someone!!!
            Richard Griffiths
            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

A very nice project to complete for someone John. Look forward to having a chat at some stage.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I want to avoid the carsales thing, but I guess just sticking the add here and a closed FB site won't cover too much ground? If anyone is on the Australian Porsche Forum, please feel free to link this post in their marketplace in case someone there may be interest there. Otherwise it's off to Carsales over the weekend...
                John Forcier
                Restoration Saga

Comment

Hi John,
                  I posted a link in "what's for sale in Australia" thread on Porsche Forum Australia.
                  Ben.

Comment

Originally posted by ELSPORTO View Post
                    Hi John,
                    I posted a link in "what's for sale in Australia" thread on Porsche Forum Australia.
                    Ben.
                    Thanks mate, appreciated. I'm not financial over there and don't like to do the wrong thing. I'd like enthusiasts to get first notice rather than Carsales...
                    John Forcier
                    Restoration Saga

Comment

No worries, it's not the actual 'for sale' thread but it's on probably the most viewed thread on that forum I'd bet.

Comment

Off to CarSales... https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...5352979/?Cr=14
                        John Forcier
                        Restoration Saga

Comment

Remember the brakes/rotors, rack/pinion, and suspension are all reconditioned with new Elephant Racing hollow TBs and Elephant Racing bushes. All new bearings. Everything powder-coated or gold zinced. Rolling on genuine minilites and R rubber. Do some digging on Pelican or Sierra Madre and you'll see just how expensive it is to rebuild/refresh SWB suspension and brakes!

There is a complete kit of rubbers and seals, and a new headliner. Front trunk and engine bay have been completely cleaned of the crappy old asbestos underbody deadener and refinished in satin 2k paint. Interior is in 2k primer (but have the 2k satin black to go with it). I even have a roll of basket weave and plain German vinyl to get a period interior happening.

Done a quick list of the additional parts (above and beyond the vehicle's included matching original engine, gearbox, gauges and other parts) I intend to include with the project... Like I say, there are sufficient extra panels to completely dress another chassis, and tow it all away on a super little Tilta trailer...
                          • 4x 14” fuchs
                          • Extra set of 68S gauges
                          • Extra set matching 68 front fenders
                          • 65-73 long hood (rust free – minor repairs needed)
                          • “Longhood” front slam panel (cut – okay condition)
                          • Early middle-bar rear engine cover (up to early 68)
                          • 65-68 engine grill in excellent condition
                          • 68 911R front/rear bumpers in glass (new)
                          • Extra front windshield, rear screen and door glass
                          • 1969T engine (mostly complete)
                          • 68< Early 901 gearbox open diff – needs diff carried bolt at a minimum, but recommend a full inspection).
                          • Tilta single axle trailer current NSW Aug 18 rego
                          • AGI “International spec” 6pt bolt in roll cage and CAMS paperwork

I may consider an offer on just the 68L car itself (with all its correct bits) if you're not after all the extra stuff.

If you're restoring or building a SWB you may want to bat me an offer on all the extra SWB stuff (not original to the 68L car) as a lot. I haven't thought too much about what it's all worth like that but happy to discuss.
                          John Forcier
                          Restoration Saga

Comment

I've adjusted my price to $80k - I don't think I'll be a lot more negotiable though.

Remember, the base is here to build an identical car to Merv's
                            John Forcier
                            Restoration Saga

Comment

Well I've had a couple of conversations and offers for the car on its own - not quite what I'm after, but this appears to be the preference for most potential buyers.

So before I change up the ad on Carsales...

I'll sell the car and everything associated with it for $60k and I'll cover the cost of transport of the matching engine from Brisbane to a new location/mechanic of choice (It needs to be built and I do recommend Michael Harris at https://promotive.com.au/ - take a look at his website and you'll get an idea of his capabilities). So I'll keep the Tilta trailer (still negotiable on that), spare engine and all the spare panels and accessory stuff to sell off separately.

Based on Merve's recent sale, this car is an identical spec car and I don't believe you'll need to spend anywhere near $80k to have it looking special.

If anyone is chasing a a genuine SWB matching numbered 911 that shouldn't have any surprises, I don't think there's anything else like it available at the moment.
                              John Forcier
                              Restoration Saga

Comment

Working...
                              X