Wanted headlight switch/pull replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanted headlight switch/pull replacement

Hi all. I think I am needing a new / secondhand headlight switch. Symptoms are all lights work except the main driving lights (front) both sides. Hi Beams still work but only when you pull back on the stork and hold...they do not work when pushed forward. Rear lights indicators etc all working. The unit seams to have lost the hold (click) between parking lights and driving lights. Globes are ok. I was hoping the switch may be servicabe but looks like a closed unit. I pulled the switch out with no obvious signs of the problem. Seeing if anyone has a working switch they may like to sell or any feedback on my symptoms. Part number is 911.613.029.01 Cheers
    Mick

Hi Mick,
    I have this in my spares, is this the one you are looking for?
    Cheers
    Craig
    Attached Files
    Craig Sedgman
    914/6 GT Clone Project
    996 C2.1

Comment

Craig
      12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
      1972 2.4E Targa project
      1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Originally posted by CS911E View Post
        Hi Mick,
        I have this in my spares, is this the one you are looking for?
        Cheers
        Craig
        Hi Craig. Thanks for responding to my post. Unfortunately your one looks like one from a later model. The earlier switch that I am chasing are quite different. Thanks again for your reply. Kind regards Mick
        Last edited by Mick Case; 18-02-24, 05:33 AM.
        Mick

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Case View Post

Hi Craig. Thanks for responding to my post. Unfortunately your one looks like one from a later model. The earlier switch that I am chasing are quite different. Thanks again for your reply. Kind regards Mick
          No problems.
          Craig Sedgman
          914/6 GT Clone Project
          996 C2.1

Comment

Hi Mick
            PM sent yesterday.
            Cheers Tom
            Tom Laube
            Instagram - #first_corner_fever

Porsche - '73 LHD 911T, '72 RHD 911T, '79 All Rounder SC
            VW - '60 Type1 Factory Sunroof, '64 Kombi

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Case View Post
              Hi all. I think I am needing a new / secondhand headlight switch. Symptoms are all lights work except the main driving lights (front) both sides. Hi Beams still work but only when you pull back on the stork and hold...they do not work when pushed forward. Rear lights indicators etc all working. The unit seams to have lost the hold (click) between parking lights and driving lights. Globes are ok. I was hoping the switch may be servicabe but looks like a closed unit. I pulled the switch out with no obvious signs of the problem. Seeing if anyone has a working switch they may like to sell or any feedback on my symptoms. Part number is 911.613.029.01 Cheers
              I had same issue with the ST replaced the switch and no change turned out to be the relay that was the issue
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President
              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Thanks Clyde. I have sourced a second hand switch, and I'll see how that goes when I can fit it to the car next weekend. Was it just your headlights that were not working or were there other symptoms or lights not coming on? From looking at the back of the switch, there is only one contact for each side of the headlights and parkers . That is the right head light and parkers (front and rear) have only one contact and the same for the Left . I'm guessing the 2 stage switch dictates the difference between the parkers and headlights as there is no seperate circuit? I have looked for a headlight relay but could only find my high beams and indicator Relays.
                Mick

Comment

Mine was the relay under the dash everything worked fine except main beams can't confirm if I had to hold high beam as I just flashed them to see if they worked never put them on permanently that I can remember.

Auto Elec attended to mine out of my pay grade.
                  Clyde Boyer
                  TYP 901 Register Inc.
                  President
                  Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Well it has been an interesting process but the headlights are working again. I was able to source a reasonably priced 2nd hand switch but Unfortunately it didn't work correctly. I was happy to keep it as I could swap out a switch and keep all the wires connected to the other unit keeping all my wires in place. The second hand unit, even though it wasn't working properly, did turn the headlights on but not in the right position . The dash lights wouldn't turn off and there were a number of lights that just didn't work.
                    With nothing to loose I thought I'd pull the second hand one apart and although it didn't appear to have been opened before the centre pull section was clearly not put in the correct way..( Accounting for its erratic behaviour) With that discovery I thought it would be an easy fix to realign the contacts and all would be good. After it was all back together I put it in the car and everything worked but not the headlights. Now with the original unit out I thought I couldn't be any worse off so I pulled apart that unit. I discovered the base plate which holds a spring and a small ball bearing that creates the 2 notch pull in the switch had come apart. Once again I thought easy fix. Once all back together I swapped it into the car. All the lights worked but not the headlights.
                    I didn't want to be defeated so I swapped / checked / opened and clean both the switches but still each time with no headlights.
                    As yet I had not pulled the centre section or stork apart which holds a number of components which slides within the unit. There was nothing visibly wrong but I thought I'd look anyway. I discovered that there is a contact that runs in-between the components that had failed or shorted out. I was able to fix this with some MacGyvering and some brass picture components . After placing back in the car.............everything works including the headlights !! I decided to look at the other switch and it suffered from the same problem.
                    Fixed that one up and now I have a spare.
                    In conclusion I learnt a lot and realised that they are a very serviceable component.
                    Mick

Comment

Working...
                    X