1966 race car in NZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you I will investigate.
    I know this is a long shot and probably the last thing I should be thinking about, but does anyone know where to find an original wood wheel from.
    thanks.
    bye.
    goodnight.
    Kris.

Comment

Kris,

here is a link to an excellent repro wooden sterring wheel:

Zuffenhaus are doing some excellent repro stuff and I dealt with the guy who does their wheels for them and the quality is fantastic.

Their new price is probably comparable to a used ebay one which would require resto.
      sigpicPhil Lack
      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
      Early 911-S Registry # 690
      R-Gruppe # 367
      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
      '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Kris, if you've built a VW engine before, you'll quickly realise the linage remains Unfortunately the bits for the rebuild are expensive, but you can do it yourself.

Touch wood; but my 2004 self-built 2.7RS spec engine is still running strong. It cost me about $5k to complete the long-block and about $8.5k all up running in the car on webers. That includes the purchase price of the 2.7 core, all machining and new genuine Mahle 2.7RS pistons and cylinders.
        John Forcier
        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
        Restoration Saga
        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

deal done yet kris?
          Richard Griffiths
          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Just waiting for import approval.

Comment

What direction

Hi all,
              still waiting for import approval. I have not been thinking about much else except what to do with the thing when it arrives.

Fully striped back to narrow gaurds, back to the original Irish Green?
              Find interior? Hounds tooth seats? Stock seat? Race seats?
              Bright work?
              Stock fuel tank?
              Fuchs? currently sitting on some strange unknown wheels? Anyone know what they are?
              Engine? Big question. Twin plug? JE p&c's 10.5? Its a short stroke 2.5 66x90 with 2.7 litre heads single plug, assuming it is low comp p&c's. Needs rebuild, intermediate shaft bearing missing. Camshafts are 911.105.104.00, four journal, for a 2.8 RSR I don't know much about cams, so many options. Are these even suitable in this engine. MFI would be nice. Price probaly to extreme to find an entire system and recalabrate/port manifold + heads other stuff? Anyone have any experince on the weber to MFI conversion.

Or I could just leave it, as is, put an engine in it, and drive. Instant gratification!
              Would seem like a shame though whilest it is mostly in peices.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by green gauge; 24-07-10, 11:37 PM. Reason: attchments.

Comment

Ahhh, feels good to get that out of my head!
                Dogs, child and family just don't understand.
                Its good to talk about this s*** and know that most of you have been in this situation.
                I just need to find a the best direction to proceed with.
                Any suggestions would be appeciated, including money no option dream machines.

Comment

Here comes a thought dump

My humble opinion is that you need to wait until it arrives and take full stock of what you have. Make lists! Also check for, and fix any rust issues now.

Then you need to do some solid research on what it is that you want. So many abominations are created because the owner didn't have a "theme" in mind, so they just added "cool" bits such as 3.6 wings, G series IROC bumpers and GT3 seats... the sum of the additions makes the car worth less and look ridiculous!

Also, do you really want to race the car or are you after a fabulous 'Sunday' car with the ability to be driven spiritedly and the odd track day? If you really want to be able to use it in competition, get the cage sorted first - it doesn't meet CAMS cage specs and they're easier to sort whilst the interior is stripped. If you have no intention of using it for sanctioned competition, check that the cage is safe to drive sans helmet or you could hit RWC issues come registration time.

Back to "themes"... You have a very sweet SWB (short wheel base) which are very desirable these days. I'm a fan of "period correct" builds Research what factory sports options were available (seats/interior/wheels); engine wise MFI didn't exist - they ran Solex carbies. Have a look at the 911R - it was the final and best iteration of the SWB race/sports purpose cars. I suspect that's what PO was copying? I think the engine is an area you can deviate from as it needs to suit the driving you have in mind. I'd be tempted to find a 3.0 SC lump and put PMO/Weber carbies on it. It'll look period correct enough, but provide you a solid 170-180 hp.

Colours - what was the factory colour? Always nice to have the original colour I reckon... Irish Green is beautiful (search for photos of Matt Hart's car). At the real risk of aligning with Ryan (OBRUT), I don't like any yellow except for 'Bahama Yellow' But as I'm learning, repainting a car is hard and expensive work if you don't really need to.

Well, there you go. Opinions are like @ssholes - everyone has one

Looking forward to seeing you progress with it.
                  Last edited by Fishcop; 25-07-10, 11:22 AM.
                  John Forcier
                  1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                  1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                  Restoration Saga
                  1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

getting back to irish green is going to be easier now than later once you have put it all back together and want to keep driving it...

and irish green is a great colour!!

everything else can be done in stages - like fuel tank, wheels etc.

no idea about engine. other than a track oriented engine is very difficult to drive on snow. so if street is the intention get the engine built accordingly...
                    Richard Griffiths
                    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

How much do you want to spend on it and what do you want to do with it?

Long and slippery slope ahead......!

Given its LHD and an early one you might want to look at building it along the lines of historic race car? Perhaps to FIA specs? I believe the early cars are worth a bit in the UK / Europe for rallying & racing.
                      Last edited by CamBiscuit; 25-07-10, 05:59 PM.
                      Cam Arnott
                      Looking for engine #6208151
                      1970 911E (Sold)
                      '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                      2 x Split Screen Kombis
                      TYP 901 Register # 78
                      Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Do you think the gaurds look correct. Too wide to narrow?
                        I will take it back to the original Irish Grun thougth. Does 8-10k sound about right for just paint?
                        It will be used mainly as a Sunday car, although I rarely get a Sunday off.

Comment

+1 on John's comments with the exception of the 3 litre engine. If you have the basis of a 2.5 short stroke engine you might be able to give it a refresh without huge cost. If you stay with modest compression ratio, single plug will be fine. Stay with carbs and it would still be fun it a light car. It should also help the 901 box survive as they don't appear to like lots of torque which you will get with a 3 litre.

First up you need to clearly establish what you have and what you want!
                          Jeff Eelkema
                          TYP 901 #132
                          S-Reg #1431
                          69E (project)
                          various bevel Ducatis
                          60s Vespa

Comment

Finally got the import approval today and is being taken to the freight company next week. Anybody have a rough idea when I will see it.

Comment

About a week once they get it on, and depending where they are going ....

They will give you a date and port. Do you have an agent here in Aus. I went and did most of it myself. Worth doing if you have the time. Good to talk to the customs blokes, they'll probably take a nice interest and you can suggest where not to spray the water etc.

I was able to drive it home on NZ gas ! Allow plenty of time at the agent, they live on Council time.....

Here it is in the container and he washing bay with customs. I know just how you'll feel. Fun fun fun.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Andrew B; 16-08-10, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X