WTB Swb 911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CS911E View Post
    Has been around for a while now, think it is a UK delivered car? I know one of the more recent 901 members checked it out when searching for a car.

Cheers
    The scarcity of SWB's on the market (at any price point really) is suggesting I may have to consider taking Dirk's path to a LWB.....

With that in mind, I took a look at the abovementioned car on the weekend. It is a UK delivered car so original RHD, It is an E which I thought was more desirable than a T (higher HP) except for the hydropneumatic suspension - or am I incorrect on this assumption?

A couple of other observations on it FWIW:
    - It looks like the tan seats have been swapped in or the door panels have been redone as I thought both should be the same colour? What sort of vinyl should be on the door panels - basketweave or a more standard vinyl?
    - The decklid grill is incorrect.
    - it didn't have door pockets.
    - the colour is incorrect and should be Albert Blue as the paint code is 1818 and has an L after it (what does the "L" stand for?).
    - the sunroof works but doesn't close without some manual assistance.
    - the engine is obviously incorrect (from a '73), but it is an E spec engine.
    - no original radio (and door panels cut for speakers....).
    - Looks to have had a hit to the front at some point.
    - The doors had some rust in them. The big question mark I have is how much rust is there that I didn't see (especially being a UK car).
    - I didn't realise Fuchs could be finished that poorly, but apparently they can.

Are H4 headlights correct for a '71?
    Did cars with Fuchs typically have a Fuchs spare?

Interested if anyone has any comments/views on it (in addition to the post earlier). Any feedback/debate/answers appreciated.

Cam

Comment

Hi Cam

Sounds like a fair bit of work to straighten out, but could be a long term project if you thought you had the finances over time..

I reckon this would be worth checking out, I enquired about at it yonks ago and recieved detailed photos and information. In the end I let it go because it was a LHD to RHD conversion, but believe it is matching numbers and has been restored. It depends where your 'must haves' lie versus your budget?

I think it is still for sale because I believe it is stored some distance away from Sydney airport, but if you have some time off over Christmas then it could be worth a day's investment. I recall that Alex knows the seller and thought it was a good car?

Cheers
      Craig Sedgman
      914/6 GT Clone Project
      996 C2.1

Comment

Thanks Craig. Have seen that one for sale for a while now. While mechanically it sounds quite good, the LHD to RHD conversion also puts me off (and the SC dash it looks to have used). If I go down the conversion route, I'd go for a SWB 911 conversion.

Comment

The white E, speak to Chris at Shannons - he had the car there and had a fair bit to say about it. When I saw it, looks good from far, but when you do some digging ..... I will let others that are more educated chime in....

The Purple E - is a mate of mines car. Excellent value in my opinion - despite it being converted. There are only a few small things to do, most of which are relatively easy to fix. It drives really well.... Jay is keen to sell, he has a Turbo also.
          Alex Webster
          A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

I've been doing some research for a friend keen to enter the 901 market. It is my humble opinion that you pretty much won't get into a nice/correct RHD SWB for under $60k. Ironically a 912 in the kind of condition I would accept can be found for around $30-35k. And there is a lot you can do with a 2.0 bus motor and a Scat kit (200hp). Hayden Burvill (Wevo) is about to the London-Capetown in a 912... I personally wouldn't think of changing a 912 with a 911 engine when you can match the HP at 1/3 the cost.

I also can't seem to find a nice/correct RHD LWB 911 for less than $60k (my standards have changed with the restoration of my car - I know just what it takes to get them rust free now, and I'd rather just not go there!). I reckon the last nice one was Andy B's black 71t. If you find any verified rust free early 911 in original RHD for <$60k, grab it!

I second the Aubergine car... It's in good condition as apparently a well done conversion and pending a PPI on the conversion and rust status will get you out on the road. I've actually "tagged it" for my friend to help him get a picture of the market, and if it's still about in the new year, we may go have a good look at it as his budget just can't stretch to original RHD.

If you don't like the dash I can vouch for the Classic British and German repro dashes, very nice and correct for $750 - check my resto thread to get a look.
            John Forcier
            1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
            1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
            Restoration Saga
            1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Good point John, although I reckon Dirk got the last nice one

Comment

Ha ha.

Do you see yourself getting back in a 911 anytime soon Shane?
                John Forcier
                1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                Restoration Saga
                1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

997........ maybe or a fully restored thing out of Brisbane , completion date yet unknown

Comment

Originally posted by nickjames View Post
                    have seen this one all over the shop.. first at a used car dealership on nepean highway, then at Shannons, then was part of a house contents auction in brighton !

seems to have quite a few rust spots in the usual places. price started off at around 48k i believe.
                    First 901 I drove (may 2010) soon after starting to look for one. Drove OK... but really didn't know what to look for in detail at that time - however new it was overpriced at $59,900.

Comment

Working...
                    X