project 911?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John S View Post
    According to the Red Book, this car has a non numbers matching engine. While it is an "E" engine, it is originally from a coupe.

Strange then that, as stated by the vendor, the Porsche CoA would confirm it as a numbers matching car. Someone has made a mistake here...

john

The red book must be incorrect

there is no distinguishing number in an engine number between a targa and coupe - that is only for the body number
    there is however a distinguishing number for sportos

the engine number for those who have not seen it is 6231653

for F series cars the first 3 numbers are 6 for 6 cylinder; in this case 2 for "E"; in this case 3 for 1973; and then 4 series numbers EXCEPT it it is a sporto and then the fourth number will be a 9 (also if it is a US T K-jet in 1973 the fourth number will be a 3 and if it is a US T k-jet sporto the fouth and fifth numbers will be 93 thru to 95 with the 9 being for sporto and the 3,4,5 being for K-jet)

given the fourth number is a "1" that is a normal E engine
    Hugh Hodges
    1973 E
    Australian TYP 901 Register #005
    Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Hugh,

thanks for setting that straight. I went and checked elsewhere and found info consistent with yours. I find the layout in the red book a little hard to follow- my fault.

So, the car may in fact be numbers-matching.

For someone capable of managing a long term project, this could provide a worthwhile outcome...in terms of satisfaction not $$$...calling Fishcop....

Comment

Originally posted by HughH View Post
        Craig

not sure which book you looked at but my understanding was that RHD targas were only done in the F series - ie 73 model year but of course some of those were made in the 72 calendar year. My understanding is that the first announcement that a RHD targa was going to be produced was at the 1972 London motor show

I don't believe there are any RHD E series targas - (ie with oil door)

my information is that 77 RHD E targas were delivered to the UK and 20 to Australia (8 manual and 12 sporto) Of course there would have also been a few other RHD ones (HK, South africa and maybe a couple of other places) but the total would not be much over 100 cars

for the RHD S targa in F series Australia got 6 - 4 manual and 2 sporto and the UK got 47.
        for the T Targa Australia got 11: 2 4sp manual, 4 5 sp manual and 5 sporto. I don't have records of the UK deliveries
        hugh,

peter morgan's book. i was looking at the e programme 1972 ROW production for targas but in fact they would be MY 73 so i was correct initially '73 only for RHD targa, rare car.

craig
        Craig
        12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
        1972 2.4E Targa project
        1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Clyde can probably talk about rare targas and restoration
          John Forcier
          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
          Restoration Saga
          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

sure can
            Attached Files
            Clyde Boyer
            TYP 901 Register Inc.
            President
            Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...
            X