Sporto anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terminator View Post
    I was at Auto Coupe today collecting some parts from Darren.

I casually asked what a full rebuild using new pistons and barrells was typically going for these days $30k plus was the answer.
    For a T? Or an E or S? Mine was barrels, heads, pistons, crankshaft, E cams, clutch etc etc for much less than 30K. Much less.
    Mark Munro
    '69 911T (sold)
    '76 911 Carrera 3.0 coupe
    '69 MG Midget Group S car
    TYP901 Register #196

Comment

Originally posted by markymark_1968 View Post
      For a T? Or an E or S? Mine was barrels, heads, pistons, crankshaft, E cams, clutch etc etc for much less than 30K. Much less.
      Clearly Mark's wife is a regular on this forum also

Comment

Originally posted by markymark_1968 View Post
        Yeah, $30k is way up there... That's an invoice I'd want to really examine. I guess if you were doing absolutely everything (clipping the case halves, fly cutting everything, counting every gram, and blueprinting), plus the MFI, using factory everything, and correct detail re-finishing - all with a 'name' builder; then it could hit $30k

It's 10 years ago now but my 2.7 spec engine running webers cost me less than $8k to build (and that was when our exchange rate was really, really bad),and that included the $2k purchase of the core engine and brand new Mahle 2.7RS P&Cs. I know MFI will add $5-7k to do properly these days.

I also don't think there would be much difference in overall price between a T-E-S build as it's the same materials and labour. And honestly, would you rebuild your T engine back to a T if you could have S specs for the same coin?
        John Forcier
        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
        Restoration Saga
        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
          Yeah, $30k is way up there...
          Well if this is a realistic figure in the next few years then I had better start acquiring some skills. I have the complete original engine for my car, so can rebuild at a very leisurely pace.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ911 View Post
            Clearly Mark's wife is a regular on this forum also
            Hahahahaha! Nice one, Dirk...

Fortunately my wife doesn't ask how much my hobbies cost...

...and I don't tell!
            Mark Munro
            '69 911T (sold)
            TYP901 Register #196

Comment

I have attached a pdf file of the invoice costs to rebuild my 2.4 MFI 911E motor in 2009. Included is a new clutch as well as a new set of barrels and pistons. The 65 hrs labour should have been more like 80 hrs even though the workshop manual says it should be only about 45 hrs.

This engine was perfectly balanced and the machining done to a very high standard so you can effectively call it a "blue printed" engine. It certainly drives like its been done very well and develops sufficient horsepower and will rev its head off.

As you can see, the price back then was around $26,600 inc GST so current pricing from Darren is about right if you are going for many new parts as I did. I uprated the oil pump to a 964 type which delivers plenty of good oil pressure and is a recommended upgrade.

Work thru all the parts and see what you need when rebuilding. Its not an exercise for the faint hearted.

I am sure you can get a cheap rebuild done but have your conrods been resized, rebushed and shot peened ? Will you feel safe revving past 7300 rpm ? as with most things, you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps some newcomers understand what realistic rebuild costs are for an early 911 motor.
              Attached Files
              sigpicPhil Lack
              TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
              Early 911-S Registry # 690
              R-Gruppe # 367
              '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
              '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
              2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
              1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

It's also why you want to buy the best car that you can afford, unless you are lucky enough to have the skills and time that John F or Chris F have to put sweat equity into it. And it should not be forgotten that some of the biggest financial black holes in these cars is the body work. That is why a car in good to great condition now is likely to be a $100K or more proposition and why most people doing a restore or rebuild will be underwater on cost v potential selling price for a considerable time afterwards.
                Hugh Hodges
                1973 E
                Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                Early 911S Register #776

Comment

My engine and MFI rebuild quote was 80 hours of labour. From what I could see, Phil's old quote from Auto Coupe was just for the engine . . . didn't seem to include an MFI rebuild? That could easily add $5k-$7k.

Phil got a good price for Mahles too, they cost more now.

Comment

Yep and don't forget the gearbox part as well if needed.
                    Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President
                    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
                      Yeah, $30k is way up there... That's an invoice I'd want to really examine. I guess if you were doing absolutely everything (clipping the case halves, fly cutting everything, counting every gram, and blueprinting), plus the MFI, using factory everything, and correct detail re-finishing - all with a 'name' builder; then it could hit $30k

It's 10 years ago now but my 2.7 spec engine running webers cost me less than $8k to build (and that was when our exchange rate was really, really bad),and that included the $2k purchase of the core engine and brand new Mahle 2.7RS P&Cs. I know MFI will add $5-7k to do properly these days.

I also don't think there would be much difference in overall price between a T-E-S build as it's the same materials and labour. And honestly, would you rebuild your T engine back to a T if you could have S specs for the same coin?
                      Pistons and cylinders alone might be approaching the cost of your rebuld now John
                      Clyde Boyer
                      TYP 901 Register Inc.
                      President
                      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post
                        Pistons and cylinders alone might be approaching the cost of your rebuld now John
                        Frightening!

I remember my RS P&Cs cost $1600 USD and I was a bit outraged...
                        John Forcier
                        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                        Restoration Saga
                        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post

I am sure you can get a cheap rebuild done but have your conrods been resized, rebushed and shot peened ? Will you feel safe revving past 7300 rpm ? as with most things, you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps some newcomers understand what realistic rebuild costs are for an early 911 motor.
                          Not sure I'd consider $21k cheap, Phil. Which is what mine cost. And it was done by Spencer. Properly.
                          Mark Munro
                          '69 911T (sold)
                          TYP901 Register #196

Comment

Gents, hi, the information here is well, frightening!!!! Obviously the days of pulling it apart yourself, a quick crank grind, bore it out 20 thou and aftermarket pistons etc, don't sit well with the Germans! Makes an Aston rebuild look almost sensible!!

Seriously though, thanks for the information.

I've attached some pictures I received (not sure if I posted these - Alzheimers you know), the bloke who transported it thinks its very good...., and thinks its in good nick body wise, and i have a bloke in Tassie who'll do a glass out respray for a very reasonable price, so heres hoping....

Cheers

Julian.

Comment

oops....oh, and the gentleman was kind enough to give me another couple of thousand off, as it wasn't matching numbers
                              Attached Files

Comment

Do we know if the sporto ended up with a member?
                                When do we get to see it on Vic roads - anyone?

Comment

Working...
                                X