Simon's Blue T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Simon

It looks honest and complete underneath. I see it has front and rear sways and still has the front protection plate over the master cylinder. It also has the original tie-rods and red fanfare trumpets (rare now). The change of colour/texture around the front tank support indicates it's had attention - and that could be anything from some corrosion repair to replacing the tow loop. The front guard flange in the photo certainly looks original and solid.

I also see that someone has ventilated the middle of the pan with a series of holes like later cars have (I stand to be corrected, but I don't think it occured in 71), this is good as someone was thinking of corrosion protection as these holes were used to inject 'waxoil' type products. They should be resealed with the factory 8mm bungs though. Hopefully the rest of the car was treated at some time in it's life which makes a massive difference long-term.

There's certainly no corrosion bubbling through, but that old style deadener is unfortunately notorius for keeping a facade over rust - you still need to give it a good poke in key areas to see. It was originally bitumous and layed over bare metal - over time it dries out and gets micro cracks that allow moisture in. It has also been flagged to contain asbestos, so one needs to treat it with care.

I'd be keen to see close photos of the jack tubes and support plates - another area that fails early if corroded. But overall it looks pleasing Simon... If you get it down to Brisbane, I'd be happy to tyre-kick it for you
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
      Looks a decent car Simon. Atherton? Nice area . My cousin lives in Tolga and has a nice old Aston. You might have seen it too.
      Merv,your ears should have been burning,just bumped into the man at the bottleshop(gets VERY warm up here and you need to replenish the moisture lost),he has replaced the Aston with something more befitting his years'.......

a Toyota Coaster motorhome..

Comment

My 911 will be going to Cashmere on Saturday for a couple of weeks if anyone is interested.
        After that it will be garaged at Ashgrove,where I'll be paying a bit of rent.....I'd prefer not to be paying rent......

My takeaway phone number until Tuesday 24th is 0413470289
        Last edited by SimonKlein; 17-12-13, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X