No announcement yet.

Gone by Sunday arvo I would think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A fully restored red 912 converted '66 (from memory) sold for $36k at Shannons 18 months or so ago, an Aussie delivered green 912 sold for circa $32k in the last two years. Without seeing it in person (and going by the 6 out of 10 paint comment), this is not a $36k car IMO. This isn't the same silver 912 that's been on eBay a bunch of times over the last few years is it?

Cam

Comment

Well , wrong as usual.(first time today though)
      Nevada, I remember both the cars you mention, the red 912 that sold at Shannons was from SA it was a very average car and the auction also cost the buyer sale price plus a generous buyers premium.
      The Green car sold within the first couple of hours of listing and unfortunately I was second in line but never got a bite, about $10K underpriced at that stage I think.
      I for one believe the early cars have a bright future, imported or not.

Comment

I think there was a couple of red ones at Shannons at the time. The one I inspected was excellent, although the RHD conversion was unknown, eg the smugglers box was still in tact. All that said, I am not a fan of conversions, but I would have been tempted to bid on it had I not committed to a car the week prior.

Cam

Comment

It's now over 25k which I would have thought is about right for a converted 912 unless the body / paint is very good. The difficulty with 912's is that the restoration cost is the same as a 911. Even the 1.6 motor is surprisingly expensive to rebuild.....912's are best purchased in exceptional condition because restoration isn't a good investment (yet). I love my 912 & think they are underrated however you need to buy carefully !!

About 3-4 years ago a perfect award winning Australian delivered 912 went for 42k within about 24 hours which was crazy money at the time but in hindsight a smart buy.

Cheers
          Matt Read

1989 944 (rally car)
          1994 993 (road car)
          1994 BMW M3 (salt lake racer)
          1999 GT3 (Nations Cup Championship)

Ex - 1967 912, 1970 911T, 1971 911T, 1971 911E, 1976 Carrera

901 #160
          PCV #528

Comment

I was watching this on ebay - has dropped off so I assume someone has bought directly. Maybe a good thing as I was considering a crazy last minute bid.

Comment

About 3-4 years ago a perfect award winning Australian delivered 912 went for 42k within about 24 hours which was crazy money at the time but in hindsight a smart buy.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

I remember that car Matt,tried to talk my mate into buying it...by the time he rang it was gone!
              Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
                Zoks version is certainly one way to spin it.
                I probably need to be careful how I put this( given the 911 belongs to a friend of one of the power brokers here), but the 911 LWB should not be considered as a drive away deal and a serious amount of dollars should be allocated, whereas the SWB is a sorted "get in and drive it " deal.
                P.S. I have no affiliation with either.
                Chris,

I have only just seen this post about my friend's burgandy 1970 911E.

As far as I am aware you have not inspected the E, and if you read the ad it clearly states openly what the car needs to have done to it. The openly honest assessment of the car in the ad clearly shows that the car needs to find a new home, and that it would make a good purchase for someone that has a budget in mind, and would like to drive it now, and then do some work over time to improve its appearance.

The car is a driver and does require work on the body to make it nice, but it is priced accordingly to factor such repairs in. However mechanically the car is pretty strong.

I (and probably others) am wearing pretty thin of members passing self appointed judgement solely on photographs of cars, irrespective of who owns the car. Common problem on boards everywhere really.

Like I say to almost everyone I speak to looking at any car, get a PPI done by someone reputable, and make a educated judgement/decision from there. Everyone is different in what they are seeking in a car, and what they can afford. I have seen enough cars over the years to know that even a PPI does not see everything, but it certainly helps instill a little more confidence of making an informed decision.

As I said at the top, the car is priced accordingly to its condition.

Incidently, I find it comical that you refer to me as one of the 'power brokers' of the site!
                Alex Webster
                A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

I stand by the quote you used, the car was inspected by someone I trust and I don't see your assessment and mine being far apart for that matter.
                  The good part about forums, even highly moderated ones is that many points of view are expressed and hopefully they will be diverse.

Comment

Originally posted by alexwebster View Post
                    I (and probably others) am wearing pretty thin of members passing self appointed judgement solely on photographs of cars, irrespective of who owns the car. Common problem on boards everywhere really.
                    sadly, i don't think this is going to change alex...

Everyone is different in what they are seeking in a car, and what they can afford.
                    agree whole-heartedly. we should be here to support and promote all early 911's, whether they be clyde's silver targa, my rat, someone rescuing a forward-dated horror, or just someone saving their pennies to finally get in their dream car whatever the condition.

Incidently, I find it comical that you refer to me as one of the 'power brokers' of the site!
                    Come on alex... you ARE on the committee!!!
                    Richard Griffiths
                    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Working...
                    X