Healey Factory cars update - new Aussie E2.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by npvpositive View Post
    In x years time (10?) we will have a situation where the majority of Australians can't drive stick . . . and at age 40-50 will they really want to learn just so they can own a 50-60 year old classic car?

Maybe a 993 tiptronic will suddenly become very, very desirable!!
    Hi,

are you serious?

No offense to anyone here, but I strongly believe the majority of Australians can't drive full stop :p

I am yet to see some idiot stopped at the traffic light because his poorly maintained car crapped out to at least but the hazard lights on or push it to the side as to not obstruct traffic flow or a commuter that doesn't speed up as to not loose his spot on the next red light when I am to change lanes in a fully laden truck and trailer with the indicators on for a minute....

Let alone driving with a manual transmission...

There is no way in hell that a 993 Tip is going to be worth more than the equivalent 6 speed manual.

Tongue firmly in cheek here

Comment

Originally posted by griffiths_r View Post
      wouldn't worry about clyde... he gets it wrong too!
      Except if it relates to carpets, apparently... :p
      Mark Munro
      '69 911T (sold)
      '76 911 Carrera 3.0 coupe
      '69 MG Midget Group S car
      TYP901 Register #196

Comment

So how much again do we reckon the healey factory car is worth?!

I would think plenty of drivers will still want to go manual ala Fishcops comment. I reckon rarity always has appeal. I have cars that were 20 years old when I was born but was always attracted to the fact they are different / rare & just cool (well not cool on hot days, you know) not always easy to drive but part of the appeal.

I don't know off hand but broadly how many typ 901 cars are there in Australia? Would it be less than 1000? With a current population of 23.3 million residents (some of whom are car nuts, a few being into porsche and quite a few having disposable income) and tracking toward 30 million residents then distilled down the rarity of good '73 cars would be positive for value over time stacked up against population one would think. especially in the context of Porsche cars being popular in UK / Germany / USA etc compared to perhaps an XY GT which peaked some time back. of course I mean this in the sense of 'affordable' classics too, not NART Spyder or barn find MB Fangio race car money that could arguably be in a bubble.

I don't know the 993 tip vs manual delivery numbers, but i think in 993 turbo spec about 118 cars were Aus delivered compared to 320 in 996 turbo spec (in 2001 alone Porsche moved 114 of the 996 turbos) so water cooled / lights etc aside, the dynamics of supply are quite different between those models which probably give a pointer to availability / values.

That said, I tend to think the majority of people get into these cars as a passion not an investment. Maybe.
        Jeff Garvey
        1971 911s (needs resto)

Comment

Paul,

Attached some photos, sorry all I could find on short notice. The DB5 now looks suspiciously like my backyard, the others are closer to sale (DBS pretty close).

Oh, and I've got first dibs on the Fergie in the background!

Cheers

Julian
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by griffiths_r View Post
            wouldn't worry about clyde... he gets it wrong too!
            Yes I do, having sold cars at what I thought was their peak value only to find 5 years later they have doubled or tripled in value.

Like my 73 S which I sold for $85k last sold at $210k, like RS101 sold for 175k now probably $550k, like RS 197 sold for $310k now probably $650k just to name a few!!!
            Clyde Boyer
            TYP 901 Register Inc.
            President
            Early S Register Member #294

Comment

They're a bit like houses... don't sell unless you have to.
              John Forcier
              1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
              1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
              Restoration Saga
              1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

I don't often drive my house to the shops / cafe and have people come up and chat / take pictures of it!!!
                Jeff Garvey
                1971 911s (needs resto)

Comment

Working...
                X