X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has to be good buying now?

I agree

Comment

Literally only a few bucks less than the rust free AU delivered factory RHD 71t discussed on this board that sat around forever... It was a far superior car peeps

Just some perspective :p
      John Forcier
      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
      Restoration Saga
      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

I thought that was $40K?

Comment

Originally posted by JulianG View Post
          I thought that was $40K?
          Trust me.
          John Forcier
          Restoration Saga

Comment

someone had a PPI done on this car very recently and walked away.
            Apparently bubbles coming through in every panel.
            The conversion was not the best.
            There is a hole cut out underneath towards the back which they think was purely to remove rust..
            It drips oil while running and still drips when stationary. He intimated that the cases might need to be split to fix the leak...
            I think it would have to be really really really cheap to take the punt.
            This is from the person who did the ppi...
            Last edited by mikedsilva; 05-03-14, 10:14 AM. Reason: update info...

Comment

Originally posted by mikedsilva View Post
              someone had a PPI done on this car very recently and walked away.
              Apparently bubbles coming through in every panel.
              The conversion was not the best.
              There is a hole cut out underneath towards the back which they think was purely to remove rust..
              It drips oil while running and still drips when stationary. He intimated that the cases might need to be split to fix the leak...
              I think it would have to be really really really cheap to take the punt.
              This is from the person who did the ppi...
              Maybe I agreed to early. And to John's comment 'a few dollars less'. With these cars $8k really is a few dollars

Comment

Mike, as a former detective I'm intimate with hearsay... and it's inadmissible And what 'conversion' are you referring to? It's Australian delivered.

Fellas it's not fair for me to discuss two other people's deal. Especially the $$ and both lurk here Suffice to say that both buyer and seller were pragmatic about the car and the deal was appropriate.

I was also asked to do a body PPI on the car for the buyer who is someone who genuinely knows these cars well. From my perspective, I know where to stick a screwdriver, where to run a magnet, and how to hide a problem. I can go on ad nauseum about the importance of chassis condition in these cars - anyone who has restored an early 911 will know what I'm prattling on about This car got serious ticks where it mattered, and I don't mind saying I was really surprised.

The new owner wasn't interested in engine condition (though it has proven to be reliable enough, and the leak is from the usual top triangle - oil bypass/sender/breather. No splitting necessary). The car will get a correct series engine from '71. The correct gearbox remains and will need a refresh.

I'll reiterate that the body and monocoque were exceptional for it's age. The car does require paint and at the same time the rear flares will be attended to. There is blistering in the paint from poor prep on an earlier job. Interior was once again exceptionally original a part from front seats (easy fix), after-market radio and a replacement carpet. Even the original basket weave door cards did not have speaker holes.

Was the car a time-warp? No. But it has most definitely kept dry and at some early stage someone waxoiled it and it shows.

How does it compare to the Aubergine car? Light years... I'm not knocking the Aubergine car and it too will likely make a nice driver. But it needs everything the blue car needs without being original RHD or Aussie delivered. And as we all know (rightly or wrongly) this is where values are sustained...

A lot of tyre kickers passed on this car. The first person to look at it that understood early 911s bought it. That's all I'm sayin'
                Last edited by Fishcop; 05-03-14, 11:24 AM.
                John Forcier
                Restoration Saga

Comment

I think Mike was referring to the Aubergine car, John... ad clearly states it was a left to right conversion...
                  Mark Munro
                  '69 911T (sold)
                  '76 911 Carrera 3.0 coupe
                  '69 MG Midget Group S car
                  TYP901 Register #196

Comment

Originally posted by markymark_1968 View Post
                    I think Mike was referring to the Aubergine car, John... ad clearly states it was a left to right conversion...
                    Ahh, my apologies Mike if that's the car you're referring to :embarrassed: - I know you considered the blue car too, and a few people walked away from it. For the life of me I was wondering where I'd missed a big hole in the rear of the blue car

I'll leave my first post though just in case it interests anyone researching.
                    Last edited by Fishcop; 05-03-14, 11:29 AM.
                    John Forcier
                    Restoration Saga

Comment

John,
                      I am enjoying the image of you turning up to a PPI with a large screwdriver and reassuring the owner with, "it's alright, I know where to stick it"

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
                        John,
                        I am enjoying the image of you turning up to a PPI with a large screwdriver and reassuring the owner with, "it's alright, I know where to stick it"
                        I hid the engineering scribe I used in my watch band, and the rare earth magnet was in a handkerchief
                        John Forcier
                        Restoration Saga

Comment

40-50 years equals rust. Unless you get lucky and find a 95% rust free car that is been looked after or restored then it all gets factored into the price. Someone got a deal on the blue 71 as John has clearly pointed out. (If they like the colour) some people do not like it. I liked it. The Burgundy car has its pro's and con's also. How much your budget is at the time rules above all. Otherwise we would all purchase overhauled cars that need nothing. $40k on purchase plus $40k over 3 years somehow equals less pain than $70 straight up. It's the nature of the beast as us Men like the challenge even after you have spent 1000's of hours and countless scars. At the end of it all it's just playing with cars. Old Porsche's are just another old car. Some guys like tinkering with cars, some don't. Maybe the others play with Barbie dolls?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
                            Trust me.
                            Yes it was sold VERY reasonably,it certainly didn't need all the naysaying that was going on here when I put it up the second time round.(Bizarrely,the first time I put the car for sale early last year,the whole lot of you missed saying a word about it....I was monitoring the site..as you do.)

I don't bull**** when I offer something for sale and I also give short shrift to folk who lowball,like the other gunna on here who had a look,not you Jim.

If I don't/didn't know about a particular aspect of a car..in this case the various rust areas,I will,and did,do my best to rectify that info.

The new buyer appears happy with his purchase and the sale enabled me to purchase 3 carby kits for my '64 330 GT 2+2!!

Thanx John for having a look and making a PROPER assessment on what will,I'm sure,turn out to be a stunning resto,in very capable and worthy hands.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonKlein View Post

I don't bull**** when I offer something for sale and I also give short shrift to folk who lowball,like the other gunna on here who had a look,not you Jim.
                              He means me... sorry for that... but it is probably one of the nicer things I've been called.

Comment

Working...
                              X