FS in Brisbane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS in Brisbane

Hey all. I know this car has popped up previously, but the owner has put up some good photos on this website

Having seen this car pretty regularly in the flesh I can confirm it's in exceptionally nice condition - with nothing to spent on it. It is a very good example of how a 911 can be converted properly - about the only thing that stands out is the brake reservoir on the RH side.

With the price of these cars running away, I don't make comment on the asking price - the market dictates that. Though I note a search for early 911s on the market at the moment comes up with predominantly 'converted' cars and they're mostly asking north of $60k for the nice ones. And I can reiterate that this car is better than nice.
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Is that the start of there being a sum where you could convert it back to lhd and still be in the money?

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
    Hey all. I know this car has popped up previously, but the owner has put up some good photos on this website

Having seen this car pretty regularly in the flesh I can confirm it's in exceptionally nice condition - with nothing to spent on it. It is a very good example of how a 911 can be converted properly - about the only thing that stands out is the brake reservoir on the RH side.

With the price of these cars running away, I don't make comment on the asking price - the market dictates that. Though I note a search for early 911s on the market at the moment comes up with predominantly 'converted' cars and they're mostly asking north of $60k for the nice ones. And I can reiterate that this car is better than nice.

Comment

Why would they shift the brake reservoir? Otherwise a good looking example.

Comment

I could not live with that colour, but it looks good value John.

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
          I could not live with that colour, but it looks good value John.
          Honestly, the colour is lovely in the flesh. It is the same colour as the recently purchased car of Simon Klein's. Like all blues, they change significantly under different lighting.

Yeah the reservoir thing is a bit weird as it is normally done like that by the half-arsed converters and is a dead giveaway... Having said that, it's a logical place to put it and I've often wondered why Porsche went to the trouble of routing factory lines from the left of the car to the right side master cylinder?

Julian, I don't know how to benchmark cars these days! Having seen so many awful conversions over the years I subconsciously put them at the bottom end of my personal desirability scale. But like I say, this car is a bit of a paradigm buster being exceptionally good and extremely well cared for. It's also pretty rare being a T/E MFI car. I don't think we got them here?

My gut says it's a great car to own - no rust, nice factory features, nice colour, comprehensive documented history. Get in it and drive. I do know the owner - so that makes me biased. But the owner is PCQ life member and Porsche Oracle and that just makes me think more of the car

It's a shame the market will likely penalise the seller for the conversion which when "done in the day" increased the car's value significantly...
          John Forcier
          Restoration Saga

Comment

Here's the text from the ad and a pic for posterity

This is a rare opportunity to purchase a 1972 Porsche 911, the most desired series of the classic early 911s. The 1972 series had a 2.4L flat six motor and the external oil filler behind the driver’s door. This car is a 5-speed manual with original specification 911TE mechanical fuel injection (MFI) motor (matching numbers), unmolested original bodywork and trim. Original Porsche ‘Certificate of Authenticity’ included. All service records since owned available.
            Only rust ever found was in headlight buckets which were replaced with new OE parts. The car is in mint condition and comes with tan interior and back to bare metal pristine Pastel Blue paint. Awarded class winner twice and second outright in PCQ Concours.
            I purchased the car in September 1995 from the second owner in California USA. Second owner stored and never drove the car. RHD conversion in 1999 with all-new correct Factory Porsche parts and ADR certified under my direct supervision with documentation/photos. Car is virtually indistinguishable from original RHD. 5-speed gearbox (correct 1972 series 915) replaced Sportomatic in 2001. Gearbox rebuilt in 2012, engine was rebuilt c1992 by Carlsen Porsche in USA.
            Factory supplied options of tinted glass, S-appearance trim, alloy Fuchs wheels have been enhanced with correct OE options including: Recaro sports seats with head rests; driving lights in horn grilles; towing hook; engine compartment light; 911S steel front spoiler/bumper; f/r sway bars.
            This is a straight, original, unmolested 911 which performs as well as it looks. Early 911s in this condition are getting harder to find now. Car is ready to drive and enjoy! Substantial photo sets and further details can be supplied.
            Asking $78,000 - ONO

I do find the comment "unmolested" strange and misleading given it's converted... regardless of how well.

the value question is an interesting one - if someone offered me $78k for my aussie delivered matching engine factory RHD 'not perfect' car I'd have to think hard about it!!
            Attached Files
            Richard Griffiths
            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

the value question is an interesting one - if someone offered me $78k for my aussie delivered matching engine factory RHD 'not perfect' car I'd have to think hard about it!!

be careful what you wish for ....
              Craig
              12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
              1972 2.4E Targa project
              1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

I agree, unmolested is possibly not the right word to be used amongst the anoraks I am also pretty sure the car was not originally delivered in Pastel Blue... Caveat Emptor

$78k? Yeah I'm inclined to agree the price is high - but what are we comparing it to? It's become very cloudy in what is a global market now. Aussie delivered RHD cars are almost simply a niche now! Lots of people seem to just want to get into one of these cars "before it's too late" - presumably that means before they become completely unaffordable... Already I've seen pretty much all predjudice against LHD cars disappear, and no one seems to 'diss' Targas anymore So are we at a point where we look twice at well converted LHD cars? Perhaps even consider returning them to LHD as Julian asks?

As we've seen over the past 18 months or so; cars that we'd once never have looked at twice due to modifications, rust or damage are being reassessed by buyers based on potential or perceived future value. Good God, have you seen the Yellow Perril Cam Arnott has bought! I've no doubt some of the recent buys have been very savvy and in the longer term, maybe we'll look back on current attitudes with a certain humor?
                John Forcier
                Restoration Saga

Comment

Yellow peril very savvy indeed
                  Cam Arnott
                  Looking for engine #6208151
                  1970 911E (Sold)
                  '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                  2 x Split Screen Kombis
                  TYP 901 Register # 78
                  Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

I can think of another yellow peril that was a good buy too ...

I am sure you are right about the colour John. Just that lighter blue has never appealed to me. Do like the Aga Blue a lot however.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
                      I am also pretty sure the car was not originally delivered in Pastel Blue... Caveat Emptor

come on john, fess up - what was the original colour?!?
                      Richard Griffiths
                      1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Without trying to restart a well worn debate I must admit having both lhd and rhd, I prefer the lhd (I'm 6 1 in the old language) and it doesn't present any problems apart from car parks ( but that's what children are for in the passenger seat).

Comment

If this car was Aus delivered, therefore RHD, with factory engine & box (manual) & in its original colour then where would the price be?
                          Thought provoking, because to my thinking a LHD to RHD conversion, changed from sporto to manual and a different colour to that in which it left the factory in is pretty far from "unmolested". These are significant changes to a cars original specification.
                          I have no doubt that this car is a Porsche in lovely condition, has been very well looked after & presents beautifully, I am in no way criticising the car or its owner just posing a question.
                          I say this as today I missed out on an Aus 73E fully restored which sold for a tiny amount more than this car is listed at.
                          The blurry topic of price, value & investment becomes more difficult particularly for those of us who are in the hunt for a car.
                          Motolita

Comment

Yep, great question. I guess in essence that's what I was posing also...

I think the closest 'relative' to an AU delivered car would be a 72E - I'm pretty sure we didn't get the 73.5 T/E. For me the steering conversion is the only issue, and the only thing not easily reversed. Colour is such a personal thing and I actually miss the incorrect Arrow Blue my car wore for a decade before I took back to original. The gearbox conversion from the sporto to a correct manual bothers me even less (I've performed the same change on mine). I must sound like I'm pushing the car - I'm not. But I do know the owner is likely visiting here and I think the views and perspectives here will be interesting to him.

Setting the price aside, this car is ready to be driven and proudly. I wonder if that fact rates higher that an Aussie car that needs work/bit of rust/incorrect engine; or a LHD car?

It would be interesting the hear more about the E you missed especially as it sounds like a good "apple and apple" comparison...
                            John Forcier
                            Restoration Saga

Comment

It would not be correct for me to divulge the exact details of the 73E in question to be fair to seller and buyer. However it is fair to say the car in question was recommended to me by a member here. It was a bit more than my budget & for reasons we all know, lucky I never saw the car in the flesh, you know, the head, heart, wife thing (& justifying more cash)!
                              It had been restored by a well respected firm known to this forum & would be a turn key car.
                              I take your point that for most people the swapping out of the Sporto to a Manual box is a good thing from a "drivers" point of view, but, from an originality & value/price view I am less than convinced, as everywhere you read about these classics has everything to do with originality & less about the prettiness of the car, it's the same with colour.
                              Again, this is just a discussion piece around the dreaded price/value proposition rather that any form of criticism of the the Blue car specifically.
                              This is why my first question on previous post is the most relevant, & that is so I/we can understand the difference between original Aus cars & converted imports.
                              Motolita

Comment

Working...
                              X