WTB: Set Steel Wheels 5 1/2x15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB: Set Steel Wheels 5 1/2x15

Sorry for the regular repeat posting looking for steel wheels.
    I'm looking for a set of 5 1/2x15 suitable for chroming.
    Not fussy about date.

I am sure that your cheapest and easiest option is to buy them from Stoddard or Sierra Madre.
    I think I might have made this point somewhere before, but buying 4 or 5 old wheels to suit and then bringing them up to the required standard, rolling straightening etc. will not be cost effective IMO.

Comment

Chris is absolutely correct. I have three sets of steel wheels in various sizes that I collected and restored.....while happy with the outcome buying a set as above would have been easier and cheaper.

Kind Regards
      Matt Read

1989 944 (rally car)
      1994 993 (road car)
      1994 BMW M3 (salt lake racer)
      1999 GT3 (Nations Cup Championship)

Ex - 1967 912, 1970 911T, 1971 911T, 1971 911E, 1976 Carrera

901 #160
      PCV #528

Comment

Hi Jeff

Just posted:

5 chrome steel 5 1/2 x 15 wheels redone by Bolton classic wheels and never mounted. Dates are 2x 11-67, 1 at 4-68, 1 at 8-65 and 1 at 1-64. All are Lemmerz except 1-64 is KPZ. All are 5 1/2 width for 185 + tires. $425 + shipping per wheel, no core charge required!

Cheers
        Adam

Comment

Thanks Adam.
          Good spotting. I've dropped him a line.

Comment

They looked good Jeff, not cheap tho. I was thinking of going back to steelies at some stage as my car came with them in 1968. One would think there would be heaps around that could be cleaned, straightened, balanced and chromed. Not too many seem to pop up however.

Comment

Yes, steelies are oddly difficult to find and expensive.
              Repros are a lot more expensive that repro Fuchs, and all the major US suppliers (Sierra Madra, Pelican, Aases, Vertex and Stoddard) have been out of stock since late 2014. I've had a set on back order for 4 months.
              Including freight, they work out at close to $600 each and I still cannot get them.

Comment

Although steel wheels were standard, most buyers opted for the Fuchs upgrade option or dealers upgraded to Fuchs to move a car... Far more cars left the showroom floor on Fuchs than on steel wheels.

Just because car was 'standard' on the kardex doesn't mean mean it had steelies... You need to see the delivery papers (which of course most people didn't keep).
                John Forcier
                1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                Restoration Saga
                1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

The Kardex will usually say "Lochscheibenrader" (set of chromed wheels).

Comment

May car was not supplied with "Steels 'n Caps" but it is period correct for late 70. I just love the heritage and simplicity of the look.

So my factory RHD, matching numbers, original 8080-H Silver Metallic with Steels 'n Caps (similar to the LHD one above) is the bee's knees in my view.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looks really good Jeff. I will be looking for some later this year - if there are any around!

Comment

I did read however on ESR that they look but good but the driving experience is not all that great. Would be tyre dependent I guess.

"I love the look as well, but I took a spin around the block and went back to fuchs. I thought my steering was broken and I'd lost 30 hp"

Comment

Wow, I had not expected that. I might get some general feelings on that from the Forum.

Comment

Will be interesting Jeff, as I suspect that the straightness and balance of the old steel wheels will be a factor as well as the the tyreing. I did see that some (15x6) weigh about 20lbs compared to 12 for an equivalent Fuchs.

Comment

is the bee's knees in my view.

Jeff, not sure i agree from an aesthetic point of view ! i always associate the steelies with the very 'dainty' look of the SWB cars. Cant comment on the driving experience as my car has only ever had Fuchs.

My 8080 on Fuchs
                              Attached Files
                              Craig
                              12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
                              1972 2.4E Targa project
                              1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Working...
                              X