• Time
  • Show
Clear All

or...
    Attached Files
    Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

I like the look of steelies but would be concerned about the negative effect of high unsprung weight. I have a set that are being used as rollers while rebuilding my car and I am tempted to try them when the car is finally done but that will mean stripping the chrome and powder coating and then buying a 2nd set of tyres so I may just stay with the deep 6 Fuchs currently sitting in boxes. Given the already fairly cost of repro wheels I would seriously consider a set of wheels with steel centres and alloy rims.

Someone was doing some repros a while back using new all new parts and while more expensive than all steel I don't recall them being crazy. It can certainly get expensive if you buy a S/H set of STD wheels and have them modified but it would be worth chasing if you really like the look. From memory they are only slightly heavier than Fuchs and you get the neat polished alloy lip just like the old race cars (906etc). You also have the option of running 6" rims (or wider).

Some years ago there was a guy in States making full alloy wheels that looked like steel wheels but they were scary expensive. He was well known in hot rodding circles for his custom wheels but I seem to recall he passed away a few years ago. I have only ever seen 1 S/H set for sale on Sreg but they sold super fast despite being a lot dearer than restored Fuchs. I can't recall the maker's name or wheel brand though.
      Jeff Eelkema
      TYP 901 #132
      S-Reg #1431
      69E (project)
      various bevel Ducatis
      60s Vespa

Comment

or these

Now that I think about it I'm fairly sure it was Sierra Madre that was going to produce the steel/alloy wheel but can't see anything on the site. They are doing repro steel wheels so would access to new centres and alloy rims are readily available in various sizes.
        Jeff Eelkema
        TYP 901 #132
        S-Reg #1431
        69E (project)
        various bevel Ducatis
        60s Vespa

Comment

I will be running these alloy space savers from a 944 Turbo 5kgs each 15 X 5.5"
          Attached Files

Comment

I think the wheels I posted above are a polished set of these but I prefer the brushed finish. These 944 wheels are supposed to be lightest factory wheel Porsche ever used but they seem to be getting hard to find these days.

If someone can find me set I'll do deal on my steel wheels
            Jeff Eelkema
            TYP 901 #132
            S-Reg #1431
            69E (project)
            various bevel Ducatis
            60s Vespa

Comment

Brushed finish looks OK, trouble is three of mine were red anodised from factory.

Comment

What were the ones that Keith Seume used on his 912/6 build?

Comment

Merv

He used the same 944 space savers
                  Jeff Eelkema
                  TYP 901 #132
                  S-Reg #1431
                  69E (project)
                  various bevel Ducatis
                  60s Vespa

Comment

Thought so. They look very Alfa-ish with the drilled rims. You pic seems to show two valves?

Comment

Originally posted by epilot View Post
                      is the bee's knees in my view.

Jeff, not sure i agree from an aesthetic point of view ! i always associate the steelies with the very 'dainty' look of the SWB cars. Cant comment on the driving experience as my car has only ever had Fuchs.

My 8080 on Fuchs

Nope. Jeff is quite right. They are the bee's knees.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Jeff

Hi, I've got 1 5 1/2 x 15 Lemmerz chromed but manky and would need doing, it has a Michelein XAS tyre on it with good tread - too old to use it but might look ok as a spare.....so if you start a collection happy to part with it.
                        Cheers
                        Julian

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
                          You pic seems to show two valves?
                          Yes these rims do have a second valve hole, had to get it welded by wheel shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Eelkema View Post
                            I like the look of steelies but would be concerned about the negative effect of high unsprung weight.

get a bigger engine!!!
                            Richard Griffiths
                            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Rich

Unsprung weight is what is hanging off the suspension not what is being carried. It has a significant impact on handling and steering feel hence the negative comments you hear about loss of steering feel etc with heavy wheels.

Bigger engines tend need bigger tyres, heavier brakes and transmissions etc so the car ends feeling FAT:p
                              Jeff Eelkema
                              TYP 901 #132
                              S-Reg #1431
                              69E (project)
                              various bevel Ducatis
                              60s Vespa

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Eelkema View Post
                                Rich

Unsprung weight is what is hanging off the suspension not what is being carried. It has a significant impact on handling and steering feel hence the negative comments you hear about loss of steering feel etc with heavy wheels.

Bigger engines tend need bigger tyres, heavier brakes and transmissions etc so the car ends feeling FAT:p

So double negative on steelies? More weight and that weight is unsprung weight to boot?!?
                                Richard Griffiths
                                1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Working...
                                X