Buying! Advice on New Daily Driver Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
    My wife actually really likes the Jetta which I understand is really a Golf with a boot, so there could be a compromise there (VW should do a R32 Jetta!)
    John,

We went through this decision ourselves, at first we were only looking at the Jetta, but once you look and drive both I would be surprise if you stick to the Jetta even if it costs a bit less.
    GroupS 76 3.0 Carrera http://typ901.org/showthread.php?t=4220

Comment

... 5k wheels I suspect
      You know to much those are Tourage wheels, 20" version of the Passat's 18s. VERY HEAVY.

The C5 is actually priced similarly to the R36. You are probably correct on the residual for the Citroen, but I am not expecting much better on the V-dub

Comment

Hi John, have read this thread with interest as have been thru the whole "family car" thing myself many times.

I have had 4 Benz wagons: 280TE (W123 best they ever built), 230TE, E230T and now a C200 Kompressor. Given your current family size, the C200 wagon would be fine and I think it looks far better than its sedan brother. I bought all my Benzs as used cars and have not had any major problems with any of them. I rate the C200 as the best so far since its a joy to drive, has great economy and is plenty big enough without being too large, which the previous E class tended to feel like. But the E class had the rumble seat and I could cart around the kids and their friends as well (handy for birthday parties which you have all in front of you).

What is it that your wife has against wagons anyway ? Has she started carting about a pram or stroller yet? Been shopping for heaps of groceries ? They dont all have to be 4WD's and some of the latest euro wagons have great styling.

One word I would mention is the resale/residual values. In my experience with varieties of cars, the Benz seem to hold onto their value well. Perhaps consider a demo vehicle of 1-2 year old car. Mine was a 2004 model bought in 2008 with 40,000 Kms on it. Due to good timing on my part (purchased in Nov 2008 when things were looking grim), I got it around $34K (down from asking price of $40K +) and claimed the GST back so it was a relatively low cost car.

Am actually considering upgrading to a C63 wagon (have admired Mark Johnstons C63 sedan) as I think this wagon is a real weapon. Might even leave the C200 badge on the back but I think the 4 exhausts are a bit of a giveaway.

My brother bought a C5 wagon a little while ago, 2 tears old and paid about 1/3 of its original price. He did get it wholesale, but still. Another mate bought a new Passat diesel wagon - got a huge discount on the new price and still its struggling to be worth what his residual is after 1.5 years.

I would look around at the used market as there are a lot of people who need to sell cars and get out of heavy commitments. I am sure there are still penty out there keen to sell. Of course you are somewhat bound by your financier contraints as well as your employer requirements.

Good luck with the hunt. Some pics of my current wagon below. It has the optional Sports kit - lowered, 17" wheels, big brakes up front.
        Attached Files
        sigpicPhil Lack
        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
        Early 911-S Registry # 690
        R-Gruppe # 367
        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Nice car Phil
          Last edited by MrUpwey; 04-08-09, 08:40 PM.
          Peter Williams #049
          Secretary TYP901
          1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

may be a bit old but you could always look at the previous model RS4's? or a later s4?

Comment

Based on the feedback I get from owners, buying a Citroen diesel (or anything French for that matter) would be a very brave decision.
              Jeff Eelkema
              TYP 901 #132
              S-Reg #1431
              69E (project)
              various bevel Ducatis
              60s Vespa

Comment

John,

Went through this 2 years ago and decided on a GTI with DSG and all the bits.

MSA have some good calculators for salary packaging and their purchasing power got me a significant discount on list.

http://www.msa-online.com.au/SalaryPackaging.asp

Prior to the GTI I had a 2006 Subaru XT Forester, the GTI has more rear leg room.

One colleague has a diesel Jetta the other a diesel Golf, cant tell them apart as far as a driving experience from each other but as nice to drive as the GTI.

Based on 15000 k's my GTI costs me about $38/day fully fueled, registered and insured, I think its a bargain.
                Craig
                12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
                1972 2.4E Targa project
                1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Show us your fuel card!
                  Cam Arnott
                  Looking for engine #6208151
                  1970 911E (Sold)
                  '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                  2 x Split Screen Kombis
                  TYP 901 Register # 78
                  Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

My father was once a passenger in one when being driven by a client from Melb - Albury which they did in just 2 hours and this was on the old single lane, 2-way highway. Cops used Mini Cooper S's back in those days which were simply no match for a 6.3.

And of course the long wheel base models were ideal as a family car...

Waiting for Gouldwill to chime in again here.....
                    sigpicPhil Lack
                    R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

I went through a Mercedes 600 Grosser phase...

Fuelcard +++

Hydraulic suspension.

Perhaps slightly over the top

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Its not off topic if you cant still fit a stroller in the back?

Comment

A friend of mine has bought one of these Grossers and when we met him in Europe in April, he was off to Germany chasing the "correct" leather to retrim the dash.

its not only the pertol that costs on these cars.......
                        sigpicPhil Lack
                        R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Hi John, any idea yet what you might get?

Comment

Hi John

Nup I've been driving all the salesmen crazy as I'm so non-commital

I'm thinking that as I can't make up my mind, I mustn't be as serious as I thought? I'm going to let the year tick over and I'm pretty sure deals will get sweeter with '09 plated cars.

If I was to choose... the R32 Passat is great. But I really liked the new Citroen C5. Poles apart... go figure :rolleyes
                            John Forcier
                            1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                            1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                            Restoration Saga
                            1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Hi John

Nup ...I really liked the new Citroen C5. Poles apart... go figure :rolleyes
                              in the "Showroom" section of wheels mag: "individual design and superb wafting comfort at freeway speeds"

I saw one the other day and must admit it did look different and comfortable

Comment

Working...
                              X