Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stf911 View Post
    Hi Guys,

First, merry Christmas, happy Hanukkah, or whatever you choose to celebrate at this time of the year!

To close of my road trip thread, I thought I'd do a final update.

You may have read of my water adventure on the way back with the detour to Autohaus Hamilton, so I won't cover that.

I had to return back to Melbourne earlier than I would have liked via the quickest route as some plumbing blew up in my mothers new house . Now fixed.

Brutus and I left Brisbane last Tuesday with the plan of getting to Taree. About 100 clicks from Taree, we pulled into a service spot for a coffee, I was checking some texts and looked up to see John "Fishcop" Forcier parked next to me! What a fabulous surprise - we had a coffee and chatted for about 90 minutes. We talked about everything, we changed the world! Thanks John, enjoy Port Mac. What a spot.

I left Taree at 0545 on Wednesday and planned to drive all the way home, which was to be around a 12 hour drive on the Hume, but with the detour to Dee Why, I ended up getting home at 1930.

I was wrong about the Hume being a crappy road (quality of bitumen, the road is still boring) as it seems to be all fixed up and basically 110KMH nearly all the way.

I got off at the Great Northern Highway and got on to the Pyalong to Lancefield road back to Romsey and wow! The last 50 kays home were some of the best driving roads I've been on and I never saw another car. I'm sure Clyde and Mr. Upwey know it.

As for comfort during the trip, I've got to tell those using "Comfort" seats (which I've had and driven on 300km trips - they are crap and an oxymoron), if you plan to do any driving, get some BF Torino's from Phil!

I have the Nurburgring in leather/pepita and not once did I even think about my back or legs - they are superlative. They are even better than the sports seats that were in my 997s which I purchased, had delivered at Porsche Brisbane and drove back to Melbourne a few years ago.

Anyway, Brutus behaved admirably for the whole trip - the water in engine bay not her fault. She now has a few more stone chips which I love, not to mention some new memories and photos. (On the Facebook link.)

I think the bushings on my shift coupler need replacement or maybe I just need to do an adjustment, but all else is perfect.

Curiously, for the grunt Brutus has, she hardly guzzles fuel. You might recall that her fuel gauge is stuck at 3/4 so I'd take the opportunity to re-fuel her every 300kms or so. Each time I did this she took no more than 22 litres. I got so confident, one time, I drove for 400 clicks and even then she only took 28 litres. She's got the standard 85 litre SC tank. I'll fix the fuel gauge soon and find out how good she really is.

Anyway, thank you all for the support and well wishes during the trip. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to see as many of you as I would have liked - next time.

If you get a chance to do a trip (or another one) like this, by yourself with no plan or reservations, I'd highly recommend it!

Cheers,
    Sal
    Sal,

Good to hear you are still happy with the car.
    Each time I read a post I get a pang of sellers remorse!

Comment

Paul,

Thanks to you, I'm happier each day. She never fails to impress and surprise.

You built a beauty - a car one can drive. How novel these days eh?

I wonder how many times she's been up and down the east coast - I've now done two down, one up in her.

I've listened to the stereo a total of 2 hours since you handed her to me...

Merry Christmas mate!

Comment

Merry xmas Sal

Totally random and bizarre thing... I'm working out of Kempsey whilst they finish my office at Port Macquarie. Heading home and decide to grab a coffee at the big Puma roadhouse to enjoy whilst enduring the 80/60/80kph roadworks on the Princes Highway. And there is a sweet early 911 I recognise straight away from Paul's ownership.

Glad to have caught up with you briefly buddy!
        John Forcier
        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
        Restoration Saga
        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Ditto brother! Merry xmas!

Comment

Working...
          X