Julie's '63 Beetle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VWCV Concourse 2008..........and the winners are;

1. Best 1957-63 Beetle The 1960 red and white one (Julie's in foreground)

2. Best Microbus and Car of the Show - the 23 window (formerly/recently in the "Webster Collection") The same owner, Colin, also owns the blue Karmann Ghia which also won an award.

The green '72 Beetle is what we call a "timewarp" - only done 8500mls from new- every component original (except tyres).

.........our first concourse, and I must say that although we didn't win (and really didn't expect to) we had a pleasant day and the food was good. The restaurant owners are very keen to have car clubs along and have them displayed on the lawns, they also offer special meal deals - so I can envisage that this would be a good lunch venue for a TYP901 run in the not so distant future. I'll start planning.

Attached Files
    Peter Williams #049
    Secretary TYP901
    1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

The view from the restaurant, Forest Edge.
      Attached Files
      Peter Williams #049
      Secretary TYP901

Comment

Love those split window kombis!!

A mate of mine up here has just bought one of the early rare Karman Ghia's, I'll try to post a photo or two on the weekend.

Nice work Peter
        Cam Arnott
        Looking for engine #6208151
        1970 911E (Sold)
        '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
        2 x Split Screen Kombis
        TYP 901 Register # 78
        Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Thanks Cam.
          Just between you, me and the UNIVERSE, Julie's car (in my humble opinion) was appreciably better than the winning car in our category ............

...........say no more.
          Peter Williams #049
          Secretary TYP901

Comment

Originally posted by gouldwil View Post
            Thanks Cam.
            Just between you, me and the UNIVERSE, Julie's car (in my humble opinion) was appreciably better than the winning car in our category ............

...........say no more.
            i know how that feels....
            Craig
            12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
            1972 2.4E Targa project
            1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

The car looks great Peter (and Julie) - well done. I agree, the venue looks well worth a visit for car clubs, looks like plenty of room and it's picturesque.

Coincidentally a friend who is living in Sweden sent me some shots from a classic car show over there last weekend, including this brown split window bug that has heaps of, er, whatever 'patina' is in Swedish. Targa looks nice, too.

Next year get a few of us around at your place beforehand with electric toothbrushes and we'll see how you go then.
              Attached Files
              John H

70 T

Comment

Here's one I spied at the track today.

A rather original '56 with plently of patina.....
                Attached Files
                Cam Arnott
                Looking for engine #6208151
                1970 911E (Sold)
                '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                2 x Split Screen Kombis
                TYP 901 Register # 78
                Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

I was just reading through some old posts when I came across this one of Julie's magnificient Beetle. Apart form the Beetle looking fantastic the very last photo has a reference to "Mark Sanders former (red) 912 in the background". It looks very much like my 912 which I bought from Rohan Veal nearly 2 years ago. It's since had a full engine and gearbox rebuild, a huge amount of work to brakes, steering and suspension and a full interior re-trim. I'd be keen to get some more background info on it. The chasis number of mine is 353329 and the engine number is 747531.
                  Cheers

Comment

that's a nice car you've got gary!

started a thread under general/technical ("sighted..."). post some pics and i am sure the guys will chime in with what they know.

cheers

rich
                    Richard Griffiths
                    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Originally posted by Gary912 View Post
                      ....... "Mark Sanders former (red) 912 in the background". It looks very much like my 912 which I bought from Rohan Veal nearly 2 years ago. ........
                      Cheers
                      Gary, I remember that when Julie's car was at Mike Tankard's, he was also doing a freshen up on the 912 for the then new owner (who I think may have been a guy named Rohan??). At the time, I had purchased a new set of Torino seats for KYJ from Phil and the original 'comfort' seats from KYJ were fitted to the 912.
                      I know you've had the seats re-done in leather (by Blackman?) - but if the seats had black cord inserts when you purchased the car and if the "Rohan" you purchased it from was a rower (as in public schoolboy rowing), then I reckon that's your car in the photo.
                      Peter Williams #049
                      Secretary TYP901

Comment

Peter, I think you're spot on. The seats did have cord inserts and have been retrimmed (without the head restraints) in leather by Tim Ward. I'm sure we're referring to the same Rohan. I still have the original 912 seats (the recline and tilt mechanisms are very worn) and one day I'll get around to selling them.

Comment

Working...
                        X