Rennsport 2016 typ 901 convoy to Sydney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harry

Yass was a stretch for me! Remarkable that Hugh did it!

And Hughs right - 43 year old cars going without a hitch is phenomenal

Comment

Yep, the car wasn't an issue at all, it was purring along....

Cheers,

Harry.

Comment

I have had a lot of practice doing that sort of trip but have not done many lately. The 911 makes it easy though as does the 110 speed limit and divided road. It was also made easier following another car on cruise control most of the way. I was also really impressed with the lights after i had them upgraded with individual relays for high and low beams and short good wiring bypassing the main loom apart from using the original wiring to switch the relays. The car sat on 3000 rpm in 5th (almost exactly 110kph) all the way down the highway and from Sydney (in the morning when I filled up) to Holbrook it averaged 11.5 litres per 100 kms. (25 MPG in the measurement used when the car was new) Not bad for a 2.7MFI:p:p:p

No no doze. Half a small bottle of coke and 2 small bottles of water to sip while driving and a strong coffee at Benalla.
        Hugh Hodges
        1973 E
        Australian TYP 901 Register #005
        Early 911S Register #776

Comment

I was following one of the B doubles that had a fully illuminated trailers - Have never seen so many red lights on a truck - Felt like Xmas

25mpg is great - I was driving my 996C4S but found the tank too small for touring Not sure of MPG

At least everyone is back safe
          Last edited by FAP911; 02-05-16, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Well done Hugh. Following your advice I did the twin/side headlight relay wiring and difference is amazing during night driving.

Comment

Originally posted by HughH View Post
              I was also really impressed with the lights after i had them upgraded with individual relays for high and low beams and short good wiring bypassing the main loom apart from using the original wiring to switch the relays.

Hugh was sitting behind me on the Hume and the lights really do work well, I'll have to perform that retina burning modification!

Cheers,

Harry.

Comment

and that was only on low beam.... you should have seen the high beam
                Hugh Hodges
                1973 E
                Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Yes did the trip on Saturday....straight down the Hume.

My L ran flawlessly both ways - and relatively swiftly in parts of the Snowy. The closer I got to home the better the car seemed to go. The same could not be said for its driver though!

What other 40+ year old cars could you safely do such a trip in.... am now looking forward to my next road trip in the 911!

Originally posted by HughH View Post
                  Back home in Melbourne after a great run down the highway tonight from Rennsport with a couple of other cars. A run like this tonight, and the one over the snowy mountains the other day, makes you remember just how great these cars are on a long trip even if they are 43 or more years old
                  Justin Reed
                  aka Reedminor
                  1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                  1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                  1961 356B #114700
                  Instagram: reedminor

Comment

I did the run home on Saturday in clear and dry conditions (unlike Sunday). The car ran like a swiss clock and the spirited drive up obviously cleared out all the cobwebs. The engine just purred on the way home but it felt so restrained sitting on 110 KPH all the way down the Hume. The lack of cruise control really gave me an aching right leg after the 900 kms from Pittwater back to Melbourne. Having done this drive 4 times so far this year, I have been spoilt by the Mercedes CLA 250 with its Adaptive cruise Control.

I too am keen to explore Hughs lighting upgrade with relays for low and high beams.
                    sigpicPhil Lack
                    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                    Early 911-S Registry # 690
                    R-Gruppe # 367
                    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

If Id known you were driving Saturday Phil I would have met up with you somewhere.

I was on the road from Baulkham Hills by about 630am. Parked the car at home just past 5pm....

The lighting upgrade sounds interesting - i had to latch onto the back of a local driving into Tumut on the drive up.... my lights are quite ordinary and drives like the last one to Rennsport emphasize it.
                      Justin Reed
                      aka Reedminor
                      1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                      1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                      1961 356B #114700
                      Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Justin, I didnt leave Pittwater until around 10.30am as had to get the boat back onto its mooring. So I wasnt home until after 9pm and the lighting issue was on my mind as I drove for 3 + hrs in the pitch black night (no moon). Sorry I didnt know you were leaving that day also.
                        sigpicPhil Lack
                        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                        Early 911-S Registry # 690
                        R-Gruppe # 367
                        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Did I see a for sale sign on your car at Rennsport Mr Lack?
                          Clyde Boyer
                          TYP 901 Register Inc.
                          President
                          Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...
                          X