No announcement yet.

LHD vs RHD cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phil, the carbon canister is there to filter the vapours from the gas the fuel tank/system produces from the movement of the fuel through the system and sloshing around the tank. These are usually used on a so called sealed system, not one with an external breather.
    MFI 911's had a breather box in the boot area behind the LH bonnet hinge, this was just a hollow separator box that as its name suggests only separates the vapour from the gas. A similar theory to a gully trap. These were not so effective and eventually replaced by carbon canisters later on, when the K-jetronic system was introduced in the US. We did not get them until late SC's and 3.2's

Comment

How about totally ineffective after 30 plus years!!!!
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President
      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Yes Clyde,

I tended to agree with Phil H. and just rip it all out and put it back to simple and standard.

So much of that Californian pollution crap of the early 70's was done to appease bureaucrats. Wonder what the German P-car engineers of the day said when they were told they had to do all this stuff to keep Californians happy ?

Lets see? whats German for outside toilet ?
        Phil Lack
        GTS Classics - proud TYP901 Forum SPONSORS
        PH: 03 9460 4000 FAX: 03 9460 4011
        Exclusive Distributors :
        'BF Torino' Seats, 'Rennshifter' sports shift, Spektr lightweight polycarb glass replacement, Autos International interiors.
        WEB: www.gtsclassics.com.au

Comment

getting into carparks

I mentioned to my brother that one of the downsides to LHD cars was getting into highrise carparks - having to reach over to get the ticket... his response is that you just have to go in backwards!

Clyde - feel like testing it out with the RS sometime?!?

Rich
          Richard Griffiths
          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

I carry an "Inspector Gadget arm"

Well actually I don't.

I used to get out and walk around when I parked in one which was very rarely in the RS and then only on Sundays on the 8th floor when no one else parked above the 3rd floor.
            Clyde Boyer
            TYP 901 Register Inc.
            President

Comment

As an experiment, I have been playing musical 911's for the past week or so, moving between LHD and RHD cars to see if there is a great difference between them to justify the thoughts and comments I read from others that LHD is too hard to use in traffic.

Perhaps I have had a lot of practice but I dont find the transition a problem at all.

even going from a 901 to a 915 gearbox didnt seem to cause a real problem except for maybe grabbing reverse in the 901 when stopped at the lights.

Both cars now have short shifters fitted which has made a great improvement in finding gears quickly & positively in the 901 box.

And I think driving LHD in traffic is cool, just for the reaction of other drivers. Its better when 8 yr old Tim is in the passenger (drivers) seat !

Just forget about Maccas drive thrus and car parks and its easy.
              sigpicPhil Lack
              TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
              Early 911-S Registry # 690
              R-Gruppe # 367
              '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
              '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
              2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
              1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

I even tried to get in the LHS of the Targa last week.

Think I might convert the 2.4S Targa to LHD.

Do you think that will hurt its value?
                Clyde Boyer
                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                President

Comment

yeah Ive done that too over the past week. You really need to think twice as you approach the car.

So is it natural to get into the LH side of a 911 ? is there something in the design ??

Sure convert the targa, can I have the RHD dash please ?

May as well make it a Sporto too. I'll take the 915 off your hands as well.
                  sigpicPhil Lack
                  TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                  Early 911-S Registry # 690
                  R-Gruppe # 367
                  '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                  '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                  2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                  1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Working...
                  X