New Paint job cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi John

I don't know if sad is the right term but keen is something that springs to mind. Having rebuilt a few cars (and bikes but no Porsches yet)over the years I can assure you that there is a big difference between repairs in sections a total strip down. It is a huge job to remove every last part from the tub and then refit everything after repainting, plating etc. Plan on a couple of years unless you're retired. It is rewarding and saves a few pennies but don't under-estimate the effort involved.

Cheers
    Jeff
    Jeff Eelkema
    TYP 901 #132
    S-Reg #1431
    69E (project)
    various bevel Ducatis
    60s Vespa

Comment

Ha ha, yes, my parents 'fondly' recall the HJ one tonner that sat on blocks and then occupied their garage for 3 years as I turned it from a grub to a butterfly

I will say though, an early Porsche tub is surprisingly simple. I reupholstered the entire interior (except head liner) myself in 2002 whilst living bored in Townsville; completely stripped and repainted the engine bay in 2004 whilst building myself a 2.7 RS spec engine, and repainted the trunk compartment in 2006. I did a TAFE course a few years ago and learned all about 2pak paints and painting with them (and bought all my own gear), but have never been prepared to do final paint on the outer body shell.

I reckon I'd give myself 12 months to complete my car (depending on the turn-around time from the painter), only because I know her so well now. And I know you guys are right about 'unexpected' and 'whilst you're there' repairs that will undoubtably pop up

Jeff, have you checked out any cars lately? There's a track day on 17 December at QR where we can take passengers out for some hotlaps if you're interested?
      John Forcier
      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
      Restoration Saga
      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Better put some pics in
        Engine is "before and after"
        Attached Files
        John Forcier
        Restoration Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
          Better put some pics in
          Engine is "before and after"
          perhaps u should consider doing a 'journeymans" course in panel beating? with adequate space,patience and perserverance u will have no problems.
          these cars "are" uncomplicated verging on being even quiet straight forward from my experience,unless of course the shell has to go a jig...?
          looks like u are sort of halfway there already in skills department....?
          if i was u i would stockpile everything u need first.
          the only time, u actually need "access" to low baked oven,is when u are applying the final coats of 2k paint on the outside,once everything is "hung in place"...? just about everything else (with care) can be painted without the use of the oven and still using 2k paint system.
          once everthing has been taken back to a "shell" u don't even need to place on "rotistere" (although it is a better solution). i actually hung my "shell" from garage roof joists with ropes and spreader beams,it worked well and was only required for short period of time.have fun and go for it..?

-------------------------
          peter kaufmann
          '73 911e rebuilt 2.7rs carrera mfi spec..?
          Last edited by PKAUFMAN; 18-10-07, 04:52 PM.

Comment

NICE

The arrow blue really sets of the chrome nicely

Comment

I wish I had an engine that looked like that !

By the way, who did your exhaust ?

Comment

Thanks guys - it's possibly the second longest love affair of my life (my wife sometimes reads these forums)

Exhaust is a Milli Miglia 2-in-1-out (should have got the dual out though )

I've actually thought about hanging the shell from my roof beams and creating some sort of pivot to turn the car like a rotisserie. I reckon if I chose the right Queensland summer day, I might not even need the oven...
                John Forcier
                Restoration Saga

Comment

The resto of the 'Green Steelie' ended up being in the low 20k mark. That was pretty much back to bare shell. I think I needed almost every inner and outer panel replaced, new nuts, bolt, rubbers etc.
                  Do it once, do it properly...is something I have learned in the past. It is worth every cent!!

Comment

I think you're right on that Matt!

The great thing now for me is that the cars are valuable enough and arguably rare enough to justify 20k worth of work.
                    John Forcier
                    Restoration Saga

Comment

Matt looks like you got your moneys worth

Comment

Jeff, have you checked out any cars lately? There's a track day on 17 December at QR where we can take passengers out for some hotlaps if you're interested?

Regards
                        Jeff
                        Jeff Eelkema
                        TYP 901 #132
                        S-Reg #1431
                        69E (project)
                        various bevel Ducatis
                        60s Vespa

Comment

Working...
                        X