Engine Rebuild Dilema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John (W)

one other point. i would not restrict yourself to traditional cam grinds (E, S etc). there has been a lot of work in this area in the last 30-40 years.

my 2.7 has GE80 cams which are like a modern RSR grind. however, they make power more by lift than duration and thus are very tractable (despite looking pretty radical on paper). they also do more conservative grinds GE60 GE40 etc. worth looking into.

my 2.0 litre car has 906 cams which are pretty extreme for a street car... (but almost essential if you want big power from only 1991cc's)

Comment

Ryan, does one need to deepen the valve pockets on the RS pistons to run a set of GE80 cams?

If I do decide to split my case for a re-seal, I'm going to up my compression and I'll look at new cams...

Cheers
      John Forcier
      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
      Restoration Saga
      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Thanks for that suggestion Ryan. I have added those cams to my ever-increasing list of details to research.
        A very basic question for John regarding 2.2S pistons. That certainly seems to be a popular combination but can I use the standard 2.4 conrods given the increased height of the 2.2 piston?
        Thanks,
        John

Comment

Yes, it's the combination of the longer throw 2.4 (and 2.7) crank combined with the high top/crowns of the 2.2S pistons that give the engine that high compression "pep"

By the way, I've had a ride in an early car with the type of motor you're looking at... fantastic! It couldn't have been much slower that my 2.7RS engined car!
          John Forcier
          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
          Restoration Saga
          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Very encouraging. Thanks John. That's the combination I favour and I'll now look for the components.
            Regards
            John

Comment

"Ryan, does one need to deepen the valve pockets on the RS pistons to run a set of GE80 cams?"

From memory no. My 2.7 has 10.5:1 JE's and they clear the GE80's ok. (its tight but they've been happy together for over 2 years and a gazillion redlines. I can't see why 8.5:1 RS pistons would be problematic.

We also used Ti valve retainers in an attempt to lighten the vavle train a little and give a bit of comfort if I buzz the motor. I don't think they were all that spendy either.

Comment

ps. John W - do a search for the user CAMGRINDER on the pelican engine building board. He is a bit of an authority on all things cammy and may have some suggestions based on the rest of your engine and use etc.

Comment

John

I can confirm that the 2.2 's' pistons are a good way to go with the 2.4 rods etc. I've got 'em in my 2.4 and with the 's' cams its makes for some good fun.

Funnily enough the previous owner who had the engine built was running the carbs with the original T internals....! Changing those freed up a few extra ponies pretty fast!!!!!!
                  Cam Arnott
                  Looking for engine #6208151
                  1970 911E (Sold)
                  '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                  2 x Split Screen Kombis
                  TYP 901 Register # 78
                  Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Thanks Ryan, I will follow up on those cams.
                    Thanks Cameron, yes, it's the ponies that are improtant. Any suggestions regarding sources of pistons and cylinders? I am on first name terms with both Pelican Parts and Performance parts in US at this stage.
                    Thanks.
                    John

Comment

for rebuild kits (gaskets sets etc) and JE pistons, EBS (engine builders supply co) are pretty hard to beat. i've always had great service from them.

Comment

John

I know that Spyder in Melbourne are also an agent for Nickies Cylinders and JE pistons.

Cheers
                        Cam Arnott
                        Looking for engine #6208151
                        1970 911E (Sold)
                        '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                        2 x Split Screen Kombis
                        TYP 901 Register # 78
                        Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Working...
                        X