No announcement yet.

912 1966 Light Resto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worth mentioning that the underbody and inside coatings of these early cars contains asbestos.

Comment

Nothing like the smell of paint stripper in the morning.

Trim coming off while paint stripper works...
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

It took me 2 weeks with a heat gun, wire wheel and a multi tool to get the whole underside back to clean metal. Dirty job. The 356 had 55 years of old grease and road grime to remove. Once done however you can seal it as needed and rest easy

Comment

Bit more paint stripping - bit more trim off while stripper soaks.

I am thinking I should take the front guards off also. Any hints on any hidden bolds for this? Row of bolts seen in boot and 3 bolts inside top of door well - Are there any other bolts I need to remove to remove guards?
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I can't remember Robin but it was pretty straight forward. Make sure you have some of the new rubber moulding for the join up near the screen on each side and also the proper tape to replace the stuff that will be worn between the guards and the body. New front hood seal as well?

Comment

This photo may help ... two bolts at the front (1 accessed thro the horn grills - the other inside the boot), one through the head light bucket, hard to access bolts near the top access with door opened, plus other hard ones near the filler. not hard to do - just be patient. Beware though ... you will find rust you didn't think you had . Rust is often in the 'elephant ears' - the panel that joins the guards near the doors ...

This gallery has 1 photos.
              '71 911 T 2.7
              TYP 901 Register #16
              Early 911S Register #2460
              Looking for engine # 6112862

Comment

Originally posted by marcus_cottrill View Post
                This photo may help ... two bolts at the front (1 accessed thro the horn grills - the other inside the boot), one through the head light bucket, hard to access bolts near the top access with door opened, plus other hard ones near the filler. not hard to do - just be patient. Beware though ... you will find rust you didn't think you had . Rust is often in the 'elephant ears' - the panel that joins the guards near the doors ...

Thank you - very helpful

Comment

My cheap endoscope from eBay arrived - inside of sills seems sound, lots of dirt, spiders, webs - but nothing too shocking. I will blast these out with an air line and apply some wax spray to preserve.
                  This gallery has 10 photos.

Comment

Good clear shots, sure saves a lot of work just to have a look
                    1971 911E
                    1993 964 30 Jahre 'Jubilee' Edition Looking for engine 6218087

Comment

Great shots.........

Comment

Here is the endoscope I bought - easy to setup and use - on board light was enough for the photos I took. Just taped it to the end of coat hanger wire to push through sills. Will take some more shots after I blast them out and add some preservative spray.

Comment

Finally had time to get the front guard off. Elephant ear is fine - little bit of worm under corner of guard itself.

This really is a relatively low rust car for a 66.

Still slowly paint stripping the inside ready for POR15 coat.
                          This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Ah, the memories! I used gloves but should have had a full body suit at times. Your car looks pretty sound Robin. Do research the best type of material to use between guard and body, when re-fitting the guard later. I bought one of those endoscopes and it has been very useful on the 356. They have even more enclosed sections than the 911, if that is possible.

Comment

Oh how time flys. Finally this was stripped out by me. All internal metal cleaned up. Now at the professionals getting metal repairs and paint. Then I can put it back together.

4EE1CC59-6DD9-435D-A5B2-E49A46FC0EA2.jpeg
                              ED0C153B-2843-4055-9D04-B3D9D8EE10A2.jpeg
                              C9CA3E61-3C16-4108-841F-9484DD523137.jpeg
                              2DFD32F9-3482-4639-A1E0-95A5BDD72268.jpeg
                              5F34330C-DE9B-4249-BEA0-C74381A63BB2.jpeg
                              7C79DD85-8A29-4E8C-8DE8-97ACBA663091.jpeg
                              4EE1CC59-6DD9-435D-A5B2-E49A46FC0EA2.jpeg

Attached Files

Comment

Hope you are not paying for the guy to play with his phone
                                Jeff Eelkema
                                TYP 901 #132
                                S-Reg #1431
                                69E (project)
                                various bevel Ducatis
                                60s Vespa

Comment

Working...
                                X