No announcement yet.

Melbourne 73e Targa listed on carsales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...rust and body fatigue are a major problem. When this car is on the hoist one cannot open and close its doors...it had no body strength and this is a big issue.
    Is this only really an issue with targas? How likely is body fatigue in coupes?

Is the major reason why targas are so maligned? (Apart from getting wet when it rains! :wink: )

Rich
    Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

I have never once got wet in mine Richard!
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President
      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Clyde

Take it out this morning - and don't forget to wear your oiled japara and gumboots!
        Peter Williams #049
        Secretary TYP901
        1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Now, now... how am I meant to come to a logical, unbiased conclusion with responses like that! Mind you, can't say I wasn't expecting it...

Clyde, with the amount of blood, sweat and tears that would have gone into your targa (plus I am sure your money tree is smarting from the heavy pruning!) it doesn't surprise me that you wouldn't get wet (assuming the roof is on of course). But for a "normal" targa...?

Cheers

Rich
          Richard Griffiths
          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

OK Richard I will be serious body, flex is an issue with targas luckily mine wasn't broken in half despite a hard life at targa Tassie and other PCV events over the years and while lots leak now I am reliably informed if the rubbers are in good shape and the side windows adjusted correctly they "WILL NOT LEAK".

I am yet to prove or dissprove the claims.

Still no info from our seller.
            Clyde Boyer
            TYP 901 Register Inc.
            President

Comment

Nah, I haven't heard anything either.

So basically if you're willing to put in the time and effort, leaking shouldn't be an issue... whereas body flex would be pretty much terminal...

so coupes are just a safer bet with all the dodgy cars out there...

Rich
              Richard Griffiths
              1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Body flex occurs which may lead to brekage but only in very severe cases I suspect. My car had had a hard life and will still sound structually
                Clyde Boyer
                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                President

Comment

All 911's flex it just depends on the individual car as to how much. We have had some Targas and cabriolets on the hoist that WILL NOT let you open the doors while off the ground! Like wise some coupes feel like a bowl of jelly while driving them, regardless what they look like or what has been done to their suspension, this is mainly due to body flex,this will be magnified if a sunroof has been fitted. This is VERY noticeable with the fitment of a good strut brace as a lot of the flex comes from the front inner guards and where they join the 'A' pillars. Targas and Cabriolets have the added problem of not having the top of the windscreen solidly attached to the back of the car(a bit like an in-complete bridge) this is where the BIG difference is between ANY convertible and a coupe. A strut brace can help but it will never resolve the problem, some are better than others, there are many on the market so if you are looking for one be careful and shop around! We make one ties the front of the car together and works very well, but is not cheap!

Comment

Rich G and others looking

Another red Targa has popped up in 'carsales' - 1970T for $38,000.

Described as a previous concourse winner - judges obviously not concerned with originality - or was it a winner back in the 70's?

Looks OK in the photos though - if you like red! (sorry Brett)
                    Peter Williams #049
                    Secretary TYP901
                    1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Working...
                    X