John Orchard
    356 B (T6) 1963
    911 2.0L 1965 SWB (sold)
    912 1966 SWB (sold)
    930 Turbo 1984
    997 Carrera S 2005

Typ 901 register #236

Comment

Looks like a beauty John. That is an unusual combination of paint and trim colours. Very nice and with the horn ring too. My Champagne Yellow and Tan was the only T6B delivered in Australia to have that combo. I inherited the original B/C Workshop Manual and Harry Pellow's resource book (Secrets of the Inner Circle) on the engines, if ever you need to borrow.

Comment

I nearly pulled the trigger on a aus 356 A last year ( As always happens I bought a 911 instead ). was repainted at some stage red but was originally this colour.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Surely this car would have to be a new low on the restoration project hopefuls? Worth noting the number of other 356s in the background.
          1963 Porsche 356 1963 Porsche 356 B S-90 Coupe Project Car for Rest | eBay Motors, Cars & Trucks, Porsche | eBay!
          Last edited by jason; 03-08-17, 07:44 PM.

Comment

That looks like one of Marc banks 356's for sale.
            356's are pretty cars but they are not fun to drive like the 901's. Also, the body is big dollars to get right and they rust like a bastard. So spend the time to find one that's in good condition.
            If I had my time again I would go for an A. The one pictured is a T6, which I sold a couple of years ago.
            For the coupes, the desirability usually goes in this order although Merv you are more knowledgable in this department, and may choose to correct me.
            pre A
            A
            C - only because they had better brakes and a few extra features
            B (T6) - similar to The C's
            B (T5) as pictured on the first post
            Karman Notchback.
            ...Then there are the continentals and split screens etc which sit at the very top of this list but are as rare as rocking horse.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            Last edited by roland paterson; 03-08-17, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Not sure about the 'not fun to drive' Roland. I know many who would disagree. As standard cars, the 356's are different to drive from the early 911's. After driving my SWB 68 for a couple of days, I get back in the 356 and I am immediately struck by how agile, comfortable, quiet and undemanding it is to use. The 4 speed gear box is far smoother than a 901 box and the gears are placed well in the torque band. The brakes if set up well, are excellent with massive finned drums or ATE disks on the T6C. They have a real charm about them that takes a little time. Both cars are enjoyable to drive. Women seem to love 356s and it gets 10 times the attention from the general public that the early 911 gets for some reason. Rust - they all rust if neglected but the unitary body on the 356 makes that check a top priority. Plenty of panels available.

The pecking order varies by country, but you are right. Gmund cars are top of the tree and then the Pre-As, the A, the T5B, T6B and T6C. These are all trumped but Carreras, Continentals, Roadsters, Speedsters if you have $350-500K. However many early cars are not as good to drive unless you are a devoted enthusiast (no synchro, heavy steering, lower HP). The T6 (B/C) shape was more a light, airy, modern and spirited, driver’s car (in various iterations) and was extremely successful for Porsche, accounting for almost half of the 356s made between 1949 and 1964. This was no 'interim' model. Paradoxically, original T6B's sold in Australia were among the smallest group (44 sales) largely due to our economy in those years. The T6C had disk brakes and 12 volts electrics among some other upgrades towards the 901 release. I have Geoff Starkey's comprehensive history of these, compiled in 2011 for the 356 Register in Australia, if anyone would like access.

Comment

If anyone is interested in a 356A, Toms friend here in Adelaide is soon to put his on the market, I have seen it and it presents well, I don't imagine early cars are easy to find?

Comment

Not at all Chris, as we know. There is an excellent T5 (single grille) that is being considered for private sale soon here as well. Last owner for 20+years.

Comment

This one however is in a different league. Such beauty. What year quiz ... on this Porsche Untitled.png

Comment

I will try 1950

Comment

It's a Pre A so I would guess 1953
                        Mark Evans
                        1966 912 5 gauge
                        1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

If the assorted information and guide price is to be believed - this 1964 356C for auction at Shannons seems very good value:

With the new 911 just over the horizon, Porsche released the final incarnation of the still popular 356 in July 1963 and the arrival of the 356C sa...

Mark Evans
                          1966 912 5 gauge
                          1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

Originally posted by SportoEvans View Post
                            It's a Pre A so I would guess 1953
                            Very Pre-A, with the split screen. 4 years before the A was released in '55. So good guesses. A '51 model.

It is amazing to think that these old Porsches were already 20 years old when some of our '901's' were made.
                            Last edited by Merv; 09-08-17, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SportoEvans View Post
                              If the assorted information and guide price is to be believed - this 1964 356C for auction at Shannons seems very good value:

https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions...1FA40B023CFV2/
                              I have seen this one somewhere recently but can't really where. It is a converted car, but Jim Kellogg is well known if the details check out. On the face of it, it looks excellent value and good long term potential.
                              Last edited by Merv; 09-08-17, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Worth watching to see if this can get a bid, for reference. 1962 porshe 356 ... 356B

Seller information

frankaudir8 (27 )
                                100% Positive feedback
                                Follow this seller
                                See other items
                                Item condition:
                                Used
                                Time left:
                                Time left:4d 23h (19 Aug, 2017 13:44:11 AEST)
                                Starting bid:
                                AU $100,000.00
                                Reserve not met
                                [ 0 bids ]

Place bid

Enter AU $100,000.00 or more

Add to watch list
                                Add to collection
                                100% positive Feedback
                                Postage:
                                Will post to United States. Read item description or contact seller for postage options. | See details

Item location:
                                Mayfield, NSW, Australia

Posts to:
                                Australia, United States
                                Delivery:
                                Varies
                                Payments:
                                Money order/Bank cheque, Cash On Delivery | See payment information
                                Returns:
                                No Returns Accepted
                                Coverage:
                                Read item description or contact seller for details. See all details
                                (Not eligible for eBay purchase protection programs)

Comment

Working...
                                X