No announcement yet.

Oldest Australian delivered 912?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys, Thanks for the replies - terrific to see such an early car as Geoff's here and showing that RHD was part of the very early 912 production.

Re my 912, I have owned it now over 2 years and my 911 since June and have occasionally driven them back to back so can appraise each one from the other. The 912 anearly example of SWB and the 69 911 of LWB. The 912 is a lovely old thing to drive, it loves just cruising along and is very happy at 100 kph. The gearbox is a joy to use. It definitely lacks torque and it isn't quick off the mark compared to modern cars, so traffic isn't as pleasant as it is in say the Lotus Elan, but once underway it is wonderful. --- The 911 is quite different as expected. Both have the same gearbox right down to the same ratios so the 911 with 2 more cylinders buzzing away does make for a bit more noise, but what a glorious noise it is. The muffler is a left over from its duties as a race car and is a bit noisier too than standard. It has a short shifter which I think I will get rid of, it is awfully notchy and difficult to select 1st gear at times. Whilst the 912's box is a joy to use this one is almost the opposite. At 100 kph it feels as though it is just getting going, it has wonderful torque from almost a thousand revs and traffic is no problem at all and most often 1st, 3rd and 5th are the only gears used, just like the FE Holden I learnt to drive with 3 on the floor not on the tree ! It is difficult to say which is my favourite which may surprise some thinking the 911 would be by far the winner, but I have to say there is something about the 912 that I really like. My plan was to sell the 912 after finding a 911, but when it came time to make that decision I thought where else am I going to get a SWB 912 Aussie delivered in the future if I wanted one - and that made the decision to keep her. ..... Just my thoughts if anyone is interested . . Ed

Comment

[QUOTE=Ed Holly;n162762] I thought where else am I going to get a SWB 912 Aussie delivered in the future if I wanted one - and that made the decision to keep her. .....

Couldn't agree more.

Great news that it is staying.

Comment

The 912 has been so unloved for so long (poor man's 911? ) but I have has great fun in mine and it is definitely a keeper. I have driven from Sydney to Tasmania twice to participate in the Classic Rallye which is for 30+ year old cars of any make. It follows the Targa Tasmania around and although it is not a competition you get to drive on the closed roads that the Targa competitors use so no oncoming traffic.
        I changed out my 4 speed transmission for a 5 speed and had a Z ratio put in as 5th gear to get the revs down for highway cruising. The 4 speed wasn't ideal for those winding mountain roads but the 5 speed is excellent. I have been surprised by how good the handling is and haven't had any problems with 'spirited' driving in Tasmania.

Looking for 912 engine 740460
        Geoff Moore

1965 912

Comment

On standard 901 transmissions the 4 speeds 4th gear ratio is the same as 5th gear on 5 speeds.

Comment

No offence but I don't understand 912's (although I haven't driven one). Even a stock 911 is boring to me though. I think I may have been spoilt in my Porsche ownership and it has ruined me for all future purchases. If I could only have a stock 911 I think I would buy a Caterham or similar. I do like to look at the stock versions though and appreciate the 60's styling and maybe with extremely thin, hard tyres it would be slow speed fun. It would be a great comparison between a 356 and a 912. Has anyone driven both?

Comment

Originally posted by Cairns888 View Post
              No offence but I don't understand 912's (although I haven't driven one). Even a stock 911 is boring to me though. I think I may have been spoilt in my Porsche ownership and it has ruined me for all future purchases. If I could only have a stock 911 I think I would buy a Caterham or similar. I do like to look at the stock versions though and appreciate the 60's styling and maybe with extremely thin, hard tyres it would be slow speed fun. It would be a great comparison between a 356 and a 912. Has anyone driven both?
              I'm not sure there is much to understand.
              I could get out of my GT2 and straight into the 912 and have a ball, and then jump straight back into a 930 and its all good, but I guess my terrain of choice has some bearing, I'm addicted to corners, and the Adelaide Hills provides.

356 is a different kettle of fish IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post

I'm not sure there is much to understand.
                I could get out of my GT2 and straight into the 912 and have a ball, and then jump straight back into a 930 and its all good, but I guess my terrain of choice has some bearing, I'm addicted to corners, and the Adelaide Hills provides.

356 is a different kettle of fish IMO.
                Living the dream mate!!!

Comment

Deleted
                  Last edited by Merv; 19-10-17, 08:57 AM.

Comment

??? I am more than happy with my 2.9 911 I have now now and also my previous 2.6 one. Just stating that I don't see the attraction with a 4 cyl naturally aspirated sports car.
                    Dont mind me, carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Cairns888 View Post
                      ??? I am more than happy with my 2.9 911 I have now now and also my previous 2.6 one. Just stating that I don't see the attraction with a 4 cyl naturally aspirated sports car.
                      Dont mind me, carry on.
                      The M30 BMW M3 is the most sought after of all the M3 models and obviously the only 4 cylinder naturally aspirated, just saying

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post

The M30 BMW M3 is the most sought after of all the M3 models and obviously the only 4 cylinder naturally aspirated, just saying
                        I think we need to start another thread! I love BM's

Comment

If I had a 912 I would be looking at this. 2136cc and 150 hp from one of the best companies in the business. http://willhoit-auto-restoration.myb...cc-engine-kit/

Comment

I'd almost swap my 68 SWB for a nice E9
                            John Forcier
                            1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                            1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                            Restoration Saga
                            1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

OK for the 4 cylinder doubters ....

I have been lucky enough to race 4 cylinder cars half my life, a couple of MGA's in Sa then single seaters in Groups M and O starting with a 1500 cc Elfin Catalina, then an 1100 cc Lotus 20, a 997 cc Brabham BT15 which became a twincam 1600 for a while (legal as it ran both ways in period) a Brabham BT21 replica with a HART 1760 cc twincam, a Brabham BT6 1.5 ANF that did 24 Tasman starts after being Denny Hulme's works Formula Junior, a Brabham BT21C 1600 cc twincam and the latest is another Lotus 20, sister car to the one 12 years ago which can run both 1100 cc or 1500 cc as it did to finish 9th outright in the AGP in 63 with Leo Geoghegan aboard. With these the Elfin set the under 1500cc Group M lap record at Oran Park GP circuit which no one will ever do better, I had the same Group lap record at Eastern Creek with the Elfin and now with the BT6 in the 44's. I was the M and O registrar for the HSRCA for over 7 years and put out a quarterly newsletter in that time some of which were 50 pages. (Google HSRCA M and O newsletter) . Current stable is 58 Lotus Eleven, 60 Lotus Elite, 61 Lotus 20, 64 Lotus Super Seven 1500, 64 Lotus Elan, 65 Porsche 912 and 69 Porsche 911 all registered on club plates except the Elan on full rego. I have been lucky enough to have had a lot of wonderful sports cars over the years and have restored quite a few. Of the ones currently, I restored the Eleven, the Elite, and the Super Seven - of the single seaters they were the first Lotus 20, the BT15, and the BT21C.

Now to the point, I find the 912 very relaxing to drive, it sure is no powerhouse, but it was never meant to be. It seems very sure footed and nicely balanced although I haven't driven it on the track and probably won't as I find most sports cars just don't give you the same experience you get with no compromises as a single seater exhibits. A long time ago, in fact one of two things that made me want to try an open wheeler was a mate who drove a JWF Milano Zephyr said to me - "you know Ed, we are just fooling around its not until we drive a factory built racing car that we start to know what it's all about" - they were very prophetic words some 20 years ago !

Apologies for rambling on guys, but I do really love the 912 in all its simplicity as I do all those other cars, they all have their idiosyncrasies. Oh and my wife likes it and the 911 best as she feels safer with metal not fiberglass or aluminium around her !

Comment

Great Post Ed.
                                I have a few Pcars of various spec, all do something individually special and put a smile on my face.
                                That's all that matters.
                                Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Working...
                                X