TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Porsche is the best value for money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a good review of the relative value of all the Boxsters on here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsW7lVRsxqM

Black Edition https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...-4983159/?Cr=0
    Last edited by Merv; 24-04-18, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
      True Nick I had a Gen 1 Cayman but not the S. At 2.7 is was faster over a winding road than my 997. However it lacked some grunt at times. The 3.4 S is the way to go I suspect. Was there a GTS? The Boxster with its drop hood is an attractive option for winter and summer nights however.
      The Cayman to buy would be a 2009-2011 S-spec . . . starting with the 2009 Porsche upgraded the engine so no IMS risk and a 0-100km time of 5.1 sec . . . it really was as fast as a Carrera but with mid-engine stability. There was also the limited edition Cayman R but they're not cheap in Oz pretty hardcore to use as a daily.
      Last edited by npvpositive; 24-04-18, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks Nick. I have a bead on a 2011 Boxster S 987.2 with the upgraded motor, no IMS issues, Sports Chrono and Sports Pack. There is a Spyder around but badging differences only in reality. The so called Black Edition in 2012 was also a badging initiative.
        Last edited by Merv; 29-04-18, 07:03 AM.

Comment

My Summary

Two cars in play just now. A good friend's immaculate 2011 Boxster S with 30K kms, PDK, Sports pack PASM, etc., and another colleague's earlier 2005 Boxster S 6-speed manual with exactly 15K kms. Both cars present as new and fully maintained.

In terms of value for money I think the Boxster are excellent value, as are the Caymans to almost the same extent. As Nick says the post-2009 ones are immune from IMS issues and the PDK is an asset for any city driving, without robbing power. They were also the first to have standard direct injection and LSD. So going away for a few weeks now to think this through.

I want a sports car that I could in fact use on most days. I found that late 80's SCs have become very costly as have most of the 993's and even the once unloved 996, especially the Turbo models. Time will tell whether they sustain those values.

My experience with the 997 and newer 911's was that they have reached a point where what they have to offer the driver, can't actually be used by most of us. Their limits in speed and handling are so amazingly high and beyond the road we travel and the skills we have. Thus, aside from prestige, their value comes into question for me. The handling balance and reasonable power of the Cayman and Boxster seems to be more accessible in regular use, much cheaper and is a true sports car, rather than a GT car.
          Last edited by Merv; 27-04-18, 07:26 AM.

Comment

damn, i wish i was as practical as you Merv...i just bought a GT3 because i love the sound, stiff suspension, fixed back recaros and being able to get up to the speed limit before anyone else .
            Mickc

65’ 912/6
            70’ 911T coupe
            00’ MK1 GT3 CS​

Comment

Well said Mick. I recent drove a nice GT3. Great fun, but I couldn’t live with it for long on a regular basis. That said, “value “is indeed relative, and money isn't the only factor.
              Last edited by Merv; 29-04-18, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X