No announcement yet.

Checking Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope we'll see you back when the hipsters find something else to play with and prices return back to somewhat normal.
    Thanks mate for your contributions and wisdom shared.
    1973 911T Coupe
    1976 911S Coupe - 2.8RSR to be

"Just don't lift mid-turn."

Comment

Yes john. I agree that you have made a great contribution to the forum over the time you have been a part of it. I hope that after a brief rest from it you can continue to make a great contribution and support any effort (or lack of action) by our esteemed treasurer and keeper of the keys for members to post to the forum to enable you to contribute when you feel like it. I agree that there has been a big change in ownership of these cars since you joined the forum (and an even bigger change in attitudes to them since I bought my car almost 25 years ago) but i feel that the core of members here (And probably the majority) remain enthusiasts rather anything else. The change in acceptance of the cars has made things like parts much more expensive and has led to many more posts on “price and value” but I think less so on this forum than its equivalents offshore.
      Whatever you decide to do I wish you the best and thank you for your contributions - a new post by Fishy on the blue car and other things that you were doing was always a must read and you have always been generous with your time (and expertise) in helping fellow members out

I hope to see you at an historic race series in the near future

hugh
      Hugh Hodges
      1973 E
      Australian TYP 901 Register #005
      Early 911S Register #776

Comment

john,
        thanks for the kind and wise words over the years, time to find another itch to scratch, good luck
        Craig
        12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
        1972 2.4E Targa project
        1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

John

You have been an absolute asset to this club over the years and it'll be a sad day when your membership lapses... but appreciate where you are coming from. Hope you land back here with us again soon... when the hipsters have taken delivery of their new Model 3.

Cheers

Rich

Richard Griffiths
          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Not sure that ‘hipsters’ are buying $150k classic cars, unless the definition of hipster has changed very substantially since I last checked....

Comment

Originally posted by remi View Post
              Not sure that ‘hipsters’ are buying $150k classic cars, unless the definition of hipster has changed very substantially since I last checked....
              Not sure that hipster is the right word, maybe influencers.

For some,
              watching the Shannons "Driven" video featuring the the new custodian of Johns car will be of interest.

Comment

This one: https://www.shannons.com.au/club/vid...t-driven-ep-1/ Suction Cups and bikes on the rear deck lid and all. Being used is good.

Comment

Hi Guys

Humbling words, thank you.

I should have been clear that I am available anytime you need - though I suspect my memory of specifics will fade and others here will have to step up documenting their adventures. Hopefully what I've loaded up remains for prosperity and helps future custodians of these cars. I guess if there is a genuine plus in the change of owner demographic, it's that the cars are valued highly enough that owners should continue to maintain them a bit more thoughtfully with a view to their longevity. I chose to "check out" not for dollar reasons, just that without a car and with other interests, I just won't spend as much time on here. But I'm not hard to find

And I truly don't intend to be unkind to new owners. I am bearded and long haired, but I'll be damned before I tie my hair back or put it in a bun. And I was drinking hand pressed piccolos and hoppy IPAs long before they became cool too! If "Hipster" is the wrong nomenclature, then I stand corrected. I of course refer to "people of economic means with a view to look younger than they are and striving to be unique amongst a bunch of similarly dressed and tattooed unique people".

My wife (who truly has no interest in Porsches) recently asked me if I missed or regretted selling my blue car - because she knows it's unlikely I can buy back in. I thought about it for a bit and although I get the occasional pang when driving a sweet twisty rural road in my rusty falcon ute; 12 months since it left, I don't actually miss it. I do feel like I got the very best out of of Porsche ownership. I bought in ridiculously cheap (3 times including a real S by accident), had 20 years of enjoyment and got out without losing a cent. Not too many hobbies can offer that! So no regrets.
                  John Forcier
                  1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                  1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                  Restoration Saga
                  1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
                    This one: https://www.shannons.com.au/club/vid...t-driven-ep-1/ Suction Cups and bikes on the rear deck lid and all. Being used is good.
                    Yep. It's loved and appreciated, can't ask for more than that.
                    John Forcier
                    Restoration Saga

Comment

Fishy cops out...
                      Aus del 68 911S

Comment

hipsters would buy the classic 911 and then stick a tesla motor in the back?!?... so they can drive it 2.6kms to CERES and charge it up whilst having their organic avo on toast and skinny chai latte on a sunday morning.
                        Richard Griffiths
                        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

There is a man out there I have never shaken hands with, nor even met, but I know he is there (and hopefully will continue to be) he has helped me out with free advice and we have done fair business together.

He has written a verse or two on a blue ‘69 that I have read and re-read, and then read between the lines, then analysed the pictures, and read again. He has a beard and many followers, goes by the name Fishy, isn’t that coincidental!

Thanks John – you will be missed but hopefully only for a short time. Us newer to the game (but not trendy enough to be hip) seriously value the contributions of wise heads like you, Clyde, Merv, Chris, Hugh, Cam, Peter and others.
                          Mark Branson
                          1969 Australian Delivered 911 ST Replica.
                          TYP901 Register # 349

Comment

All the best John and I'm sure you will totally come back to the brand.

Not all 996 are crappy ha !!! (there are a few) , you would be surprised how much a 996 can still feel very analogue , whilst I miss my T dearly I have grown to love the 996 and there is still fun to have on making it better and more personal like all 911's

I remember the early days here too -

Cheers

Shane

Comment

Cheers Shane, I've made no secret of my desire to buy a nice 986 S Coxster in manual
                              John Forcier
                              Restoration Saga

Comment

Let's crowd fund his annual fee.
                                Paul

Targa 2.4E Signal Yellow

Comment

Working...
                                X