Advice for loose spring clip in 1971 911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for loose spring clip in 1971 911

I have a 2.2 1971 911. I removed 8 bolt round bottom oil drain plate to replace leaking gasket.
    I found 30mm spring clip laying on wire mesh and also found alloy suction pipe from oil pump very loose. I could remove by hand.
    Motor has been running. Can anyone let me know what holds the suction pipe in pump and is the spring clip part of it?

Doesnt sound good.
    I've got a pump at work, will look at it tomorrow.
    Got a pic of the clip?
    Aus del 68 911S

Comment

At the risk of hijacking this post..... I recently found these bakerlite (? ) bits in one of my 72's head oil galleries and wire strainer. Must have been there since BWA rebuilt it back in 85. Motor was still running fine.

bakerlite bits.JPG

Bill A.

72E Sporto (still is)

Comment

image_24439.jpgimage_24437.jpgimage_24438.jpg Pump
        Last edited by mrar; 28-01-20, 10:23 AM.
        Aus del 68 911S

Comment

re clip, possibly a piston gudgen pin clip? if it is you need to get it looked at ASAP! ie dont start it until you know where it came from.
          Jeff Eelkema
          TYP 901 #132
          S-Reg #1431
          69E (project)
          various bevel Ducatis
          60s Vespa

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Eelkema View Post
            re clip, possibly a piston gudgen pin clip? if it is you need to get it looked at ASAP! ie dont start it until you know where it came from.
            Was thinking same.
            Pic would help (similar to these).
            Attached Files
            Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Looks like it could it be the circlip on the oil pump splined shaft in your pics mrar

Comment

Originally posted by silbere View Post
                Looks like it could it be the circlip on the oil pump splined shaft in your pics mrar
                Not sure Bruce without a pic from op. 20200129_081847.jpg
                these are out of a 2.7.
                Aus del 68 911S

Comment

I would be seriously concerned. Don't know too many professional engine builders that leave crap in a rebuilt motor. And what is the bakerlite off? I remember on a Datsun 2000 sports rebuild taking the blanking screws out of the crankshaft to clean out the oil galleries. Nev

Comment

I would be concerned about the oil pump pick up. I think they are a press fit or bonded in. If it falls out your engine will be toast.....big risk and I don't think it can be properly re-fixed in place without stripping the engine.
                    Cam Arnott
                    Looking for engine #6208151
                    1970 911E (Sold)
                    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                    2 x Split Screen Kombis
                    TYP 901 Register # 78
                    Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

From memory, gudgeon pin spring clips are 23mm diameter or near that size. 30mm sounds a bit big. Certainly the bend at the end of the circlip should tell you if it's a spring clip or not. I'm tipping it's from the oil pump pickup tube.
                      Either way, it's going to be a big headache to fix it. What a bugger!

Comment

Thanks everyone for replies. Clip as attached is 30mm od. Have completely dismantled motor . 1 cam nut incredibly tight and 1 rocker arm allen key also incredibly tight but have successfully removed. Splitting the case is beyond my abilities. Any suggestions? any engineering shop you would suggest . Found pulling down motor quite satisfying looking forward to replies. Trev
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Whereabouts are you located Trev?

Comment

Working...
                          X