TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I’m going to turn my 911 in to an EV...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the 935 replicas that run a 300+ kw motor are very impressive, these are out of LA.There is one in Vic or NSW that was converted several years ago, SC body still ran the 915 trans.
    GRC930, Graham

Comment

Any updates?!?

came across this vid on youtube... it’s even the right colour - giving me bad (read expensive) ideas!!!

Richard Griffiths
      1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Before you do anything about EVs watch Harry's Garage on YouTube about the real costs of electric vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by PCM911T View Post
          Before you do anything about EVs watch Harry's Garage on YouTube about the real costs of electric vehicles.
          thanks - really interesting watch (and lots of vids to catch up on).

There's no doubt the new car market in the UK is going to change for ever post CV-19 but I don't think electric cars are the answer in terms of both reducing...

lots of really good perspectives and data put forward - and he seems to sit in a rare open minded pragmatic space between both ICE and EV...

i think the majority of his arguments are logical and supported by data, but like a lot of the hype out there (mostly on the EV side), he lacks a full gamut comparison of cost (both environmental and financial) from production to running to recycling.

lastly, to say 'don't bother with EV's because it really won't make much of a difference to the environment' i find really irksome - we don't need a few people doing it perfectly. we need absolutely everyone doing something about it imperfectly.

anyway, great watching for anyone interested.

and here's his opinion on the impact of EVs on the classic car market...
          With the impending ban on new petrol (and diesel) car sales in 2030 spell the end for classic cars in the UK? Plus I take a look into how the carbon footprin...

Richard Griffiths
          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

You should also be aware that the Federal Government is very quietly preparing legislation for an EV per kilometre usage tax to make up for "lost" petrol tax revenue.

Comment

As a reference to convert my KG the cost was $32K for the parts only with me doing all the work.
              It was an EV west kit which was a 100kw power output.

Comment

You should also be aware that the Federal Government is very quietly preparing legislation for an EV per kilometre usage tax to make up for "lost" petrol tax revenue.

yeah no surprises there...
                Richard Griffiths
                1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
                  As a reference to convert my KG the cost was $32K for the parts only with me doing all the work.
                  It was an EV west kit which was a 100kw power output.
                  I think the cost of these kits is going to have to pretty much half to make it a justifiable exercise from an economic point of view....
                  Cam Arnott
                  Looking for engine #6208151
                  1970 911E (Sold)
                  '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                  2 x Split Screen Kombis
                  TYP 901 Register # 78
                  Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Originally posted by CamBiscuit View Post

I think the cost of these kits is going to have to pretty much half to make it a justifiable exercise from an economic point of view....
                    Yeah something in that order... but given ICE cars coming off the production line now are useable for say the next ~40yrs, there is a pretty big market for conversions - competition plus technology advances (inc 3D printing parts, better batteries, faster charging etc) will bring the price down pretty rapidly i think?

Ooh... so who here wants an aftermarket self driving kit for there 901 whilst their also converting it to EV?!? . They have to be coming soon too?!?
                    Richard Griffiths
                    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Am starting to think our logic is wrong and we should put a 911 body on a Tesla not put a Tesla into a 911!?! (For Tesla read any electric vehicle / electric conversion)

Originally posted by griffiths_r View Post

Yeah something in that order... but given ICE cars coming off the production line now are useable for say the next ~40yrs, there is a pretty big market for conversions - competition plus technology advances (inc 3D printing parts, better batteries, faster charging etc) will bring the price down pretty rapidly i think?

Ooh... so who here wants an aftermarket self driving kit for there 901 whilst their also converting it to EV?!? . They have to be coming soon too?!?

Comment

Yeah all these EV'ers dont seem to think about who will pay for roads and their maintenance so some sort of road tax will have to be added in somewhere - perhaps a tax on electricity at EV charge stations ?
                        sigpicPhil Lack
                        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                        Early 911-S Registry # 690
                        R-Gruppe # 367
                        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post

Yeah all these EV'ers dont seem to think about who will pay for roads and their maintenance so some sort of road tax will have to be added in somewhere - perhaps a tax on electricity at EV charge stations ?
                          Nah, don’t think that’s at all true... well, certainly not me anyways. A RUC is perfectly logical... if it is levied on ALL vehicles fairly. THEN, charge vehicles based on their true dust-to-dust environmental footprint/impact.

there’s also a paper out there by E&Y that shows EV’s generate more income for governments than ICE’s do... and that’s without a RUC!!
                          Richard Griffiths
                          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Originally posted by griffiths_r View Post

actually... there’s another scenario i hadnmt thought of until this morning - if my engine blew up tomorrow... i can spend $30k-$40k doing an engine rebuild, or i can spend the same converting it to EV. I’d need to think a fair bit about which way I’d go...

sorry, back on topic!!
                            Richard Griffiths
                            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Your $30-40K quoted above is parts only and entry level kit at that, using second hand Tesla batteries, a decent set up to go in something like a Porsche with labour and engineering is more like $70K by the time you are driving down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
                                Your $30-40K quoted above is parts only and entry level kit at that, using second hand Tesla batteries, a decent set up to go in something like a Porsche with labour and engineering is more like $70K by the time you are driving down the road.
                                Ah yeah, may well be... especially as we get pillaged on everything needing to be imported. guess my point is that the economics is not necessarily just pulling out a working combustion set-up... but a different option for rebuilding an ICE.

Going to be fun watching how this all plays out globally over the next 9 years.
                                Richard Griffiths
                                1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Working...
                                X