Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

69 911 Oil level gauge not working

looking for a little help.
    The oil level gauge was working fine then it just stopped working. Now when I turn the ignition on the gauge shows full it doesn't move from there until the ignition is turned off. Have replaced the sender in the dry sump tank still the same, ran a wire from the gauge to the sender, started the engine the gauge works perfect.
    I think it could be a wiring problem.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

It used to work Steve
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Yes Clyde I stopped about 2 weeks ago so bit of a mystery

Comment

...it worked when I owned the car (see my avatar) in 1980-83 (when it was Mexico Blue)
        Peter Williams #049
        Secretary TYP901
        1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Hi Peter I've had the car for 2 years everything was working and it's running really well just having an hiccup with the gauge at the moment I was hoping someone might had some idea what the problem might be it's not a big deal I'll have my mechanic check it out

Comment

100% sure that the problem is electrical not mechanical as it works when you run a wire direct between the sender and the gauge. Check the circuit diagram and that all connectors are sound. A simple circuit tester should indicate the problem.

Comment

Has this car been owned by more TYP901 members than any other in the club?
              Five TYP901 owners dating from the 1970's - Gary Parnaby, me, James Newton, Clyde and now Steve.

Peter Williams
              Secretary
              Peter Williams #049
              Secretary TYP901
              1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Thanks Neville
                Will do

Comment

As previously mentioned it's likely an electrical issue. The sender is simply a variable resistor so if the gauge is pegged it would indicate the circuit is open / broken. Before getting too far into trouble shooting make sure you've placed the wires on the correct contacts at the sender as this will give you this condition. To test the gauge ground out the sender / gauge wire and it should peg to the bottom. Should be simple to sort out.
                  Paul Wischer
                  1969 911T
                  1979 Californian Moke
                  TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Thanks Paul
                    Tried grounding the gauge / sender wire no change, still pegged at the top. I did try the wire from the gauge to the sender unit again, and the gauge worked ok

Comment

Working...
                    X