(Almost) For Sale 1973 911 T/E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Almost) For Sale 1973 911 T/E

I am preparing my 1973 T/E for sale shortly and thought I should give Forum members the heads-up and first opportunity to enquire.

The car is currently at Kane Hearns workshop (Phil's son) where its getting a thorough clean up with engine and trans out. All tin ware is being powdercoated black and all nuts bolts ad various suspension and brake parts being zinc chromate plated again. Brakes are being rebuilt with new seals etc, all new suspension rubbers and all suspension parts repainted black. New Bilsteins are being installed on the rear. Car has about 213,000 original miles on it.

All engine oil leaks are bing attended to including several new oil hoses, new oil return tube O rings, new gaskets where required and all rockers covers linished flat and repainted black.

Interior will get new retractable seat belts and original steering wheel installed plus the period radio put back. Other than that, the interior is fine as it had a new "Just Dashes - LA" refurbed dash installed, new windscreen and rubbers (prior to purchase) and it has its original carpets in surprisingly good nick save for a few bad wear areas, but the originality of this car means you might live with them. Seats are original and drivers has 2 tears in it but I thought i would leave these as is and maybe put replacement seat in if the buyer doesnt want "original".

Body wise, its had a respray in Light Ivory over its original Silver paint. Silver is still evident under the guards and in engine bay and has cleaned up extremely well, almost to Clyde standards.

This car has been a Newport Beach (California) car all its life and is very rust-free in all the major places save for the right A pillar base area where there is some bubbling of paint due to perished windscreen seal (now new) that would have allowed water to seap in and sit. Its a relatively easy fix and one I would have done if I decided to respray the car back to original paint - which is the logical last major job to do to bring it back to being pristine.

There are other minor paint chips and cracks that would all be resolved in a respray. I had considered doing this but felt the paint is OK at present and very presentable and the underside cleanup and suspension work was more critical to get the car back in sound mechanical shape. Car will have new H4 euro Bosch headlights installed and all signal light lenses will be correct.

Overall, this is a very "unmolested" example of a narrow body 73 car which remains alsmot compeltey intact down to 5 date matching 6x15 Fuchs (refurbed recently), a complete and correct toolkit and Bilstein jack, ALL original documentation that came with the car including original owners handbook, Maintenance record, radio manual etc plus years of Andial Porsche maintenance records. it also has it original Blue & yellow Californian plates plus many old rego slips and insurance info.

This is definitely car that can be easily brought back to pristine condition given that many of the bits that get lost over the years, are still there.

Feel free to PM me if you are interested. I expect I will begin to advertise it more widely in around 4 weeks time. Car is not yet registered but will have all the correct documentaiton and engineers certificate ready for reg in any State.

If you are seriously looking for a very clean and original car, this is definitely one to consider.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by e72phil; 02-08-08, 03:25 PM.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Forgot to mention this car has the 2.4 MFI engine hence the T/E designation. Seems only the US cars had this MFI setup whereas ROW had carbies. The MFI appears to work great as it fired up first time after a long period of sitting in the warehouse. Kane wanted to listen to the cam chains for noise and happily there was no noise present. Gearbox is a 5 spd. 915 and has the later model shifter lever housing. New lever and coupler bushes are being done to bring the firmness back into the shift making gear selection far more positive. Original shift knob is also there (these are bringing over US$200 these days on ebay !)

We did find a noisy rear wheel bearing which is also being replaced. All others are fine but in need a repacking with new grease. Driveshafts will also benefit from new grease and new rubber boots.

Kane advises he just took the oil tank out and cleaned out the gunk and will do the same with the fuel tank which will ensure good clean fuel to the MFI system. Tank will get a nice new coat of grey Wurth paint back to factory look plus a new tank seal.

Whoever buys this car will get a great platform from which to start building a very clean car where all the hard work involving hoists and pulling major bits off the car , cleaning and repainting them, has been done

Will post more pics once everything is back together and clean and neat.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Here are a few pics of the inside & underside of the guards after cleaning plus the rear signal housings which are the cleanest I have ever seen on some early cars (Clydes cars excepted) and show the original factory primer colours and some of the critical corrosion areas in such good shape.

This car is definitely an ad for why Californian, Texas and Arizone cars can survive so long when kept in a clean, dry environment all their life.

We did notice one of the rear steel bumpers had been replaced with one that used to be yellow and a small repair area evidencing the damage that must have caused the replacement. Elsewhere it looks like all original panels. And the first owner was a woman driver !! Obvious ly a good driver too. The rear cross member panel has also had a "tap" at some stage with a repair evident here. Original silver paint is very evident in all shots. (why would you change to light Ivory ???)

At the same time, Kane has been cleaning up a 72E that he purchased that has an amazing hsitory to it. I plan to write a story about this one and also to scan and post the extensive document history file that came with the car including a letter from Norman Hamilton about purchaing the car direct from the factory (it was a RHD tourist delivery in 1972).

The car then driven around europe than taken to South Africa where it lived for a while then onto Australia where it has sat for about the past 13 years under a tarp before Kane bought it. During the cleaning up of this car, he has been amazed at finding all the same evidence of minimal effects of corrosion etc over all these years.

The car is a genuine 70,000 odd miles and will come up looking great after its restoration. Fortunately its Tangerine with houndstooth cloth inserts in original seats. Its also a sporto with steel wheels. Really unusual combo.
      Attached Files
      sigpicPhil Lack
      R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Wow, very solid!
        John Forcier
        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
        Restoration Saga
        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Mr President posts in parts for sale area are supposed to have a price attached!!!!.

Perhaps this pre sale advice should have been in the General Forum and then on the for sale site when you had those details sorted.
          Last edited by e72phil; 03-08-08, 12:56 PM.
          Clyde Boyer
          TYP 901 Register Inc.
          President
          Early S Register Member #294

Comment

OK, I can move it across, but I thought it was most suited to this For Sale forum.
            sigpicPhil Lack
            R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Or you could mention price
              John Forcier
              1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
              1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
              Restoration Saga
              1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Progress report

Kane Hearn has been really getting stuck into this job and the pics of the car are below.

As you can see, the clean up, powdercoating and replating have been a very worthwhile investment as the suspension is looking fantastic.

Rather than re-stoneguard underneath in the engine bay, we have left the original material intact and done a few small patches here and there as the original factory sealant is in such good condition. Normally, the underside of these cars can look pretty bad after 35+ years of driving around. The orange coloured marks in the pics is the original wax applied by Porsche for export shipping by sea. Clyde, no doubt, would have this scrubbed clean. We left it for the new owner to decide. Its easy enough to get off. Some people like that originality.

All the bits remaining are laid out on the table and the callipers can be seen there all replated and with new seal kits. All tin ware now looks new again with new black powdercoating.

I managed to find a new set of P7 Pirellis in 195-65 x 15 which was the size fitted to the car when I got it.

The fuel tank was removed and cleaned out - surprisingly clean inside and has been repainted to look new. Battery boxes are in amazing rust-free condition.

This has been an interesting exercise and shows how quickly a car can get a real "birthday" when you put your mind to it.

It also helps that Kane has done about 9 of these cars in the last couple of years to this high level of detail (whilst working at his Dad's place - Auto Coupe. No doubt he learnt well from Phil as the attention to detail and original look are very evident.

Am also having the drivers seat recovered .

Hopefully the car will be finished end of next week
                Attached Files
                sigpicPhil Lack
                R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Some more pics. Heat exchanges are the original steel ones with almost no dents. They cleaned up really well and have been painted with a High temp ceramic paint as has the muffler. Should look nice and clean once all bolted back onto the engine.

As a comparison, here are 2 pics of the work Kane did on Erwins old car (now my car) about 18 months back.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by e72phil; 02-08-08, 04:15 PM.
                  sigpicPhil Lack
                  R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

looking very nice Phil!

Comment

very nice Phil

Comment

very solid looking car phil.

another one that would go nicely in my shed (the one that only exists in my head of course...).
                        Richard Griffiths
                        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Before and After

Keeping a pictorial record of upgrading your car is always a good way to help you remember how it was, and it helps justify (to your other half) where all the money went. It also helps show a propsective new owner the level of work that has been perfromed.

I like to look at the before and after shots as it highlights just how different the car looks. Its almost like getting a new car !

There was a fair bit of overspray still on the car from when it got changed from Silver to Ivory. We managed to get all that stuff off too.

These shots below are a good comparison (apologies if I used some before).
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by e72phil; 04-08-08, 08:20 PM.
                          sigpicPhil Lack
                          R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Looking good Phil

Almost looks like Clyde has been on the Job!
                            Cam Arnott
                            Looking for engine #6208151
                            1970 911E (Sold)
                            '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                            2 x Split Screen Kombis
                            TYP 901 Register # 78
                            Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Cam, we had to use something a bit stronger than a toothbrush to get this undercarriage clean. But I think I could employ Clyde to keep it looking that way.
                              sigpicPhil Lack
                              R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Working...
                              X