No announcement yet.

Garages - Customs and Restos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John, what's your height to the bottom of the beams/joists?

Comment

Hi John

The lowest points are the new steel beams that replaced the old concrete piers at 2.7 meters. The floor boards are another 30-40cm above. The house I grew up in only had 2.7m ceilings, so I know there's enough room to do most things if I put up a false ceiling. Whatever I use needs to allow access to plumbing/electrics

The accompanying photo show a bit more (I'm enjoying experimenting with my new Olympus )
      Attached Files
      John Forcier
      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
      Restoration Saga
      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Thanks John

Next year I'll be adding a basement garage to the house and I am trying to settle on a workable ceiling height. It all becomes a little more complicated once you go underground... I was thinking around the 2.7 to 3.0 meter mark, which looks like it should be ok.

Thanks for the info and pix, looking good John

Comment

Just remember that your concrete floor will be at least 10cm, more if it needs to support something or you're adding a lift. And don't forget to consider drainage if you're cutting in.

Oh, and triple your budget
          John Forcier
          Restoration Saga

Comment

Car Storage & Workshop Facilities

Inspired, envious and currently lacking any useable workspace due current house renovations and having recently sold my business (came with a 1500 sq.m warehouse/workshop). Everyone who possesses complete or near complete work/play spaces enjoy them for the necessity and luxury they are - do not take for granted.

As I am without current space for my 912 I am interested in establishing with a small group of like minded and needy souls a bespoke car storage/workshop facility in the ACT region. Aside from the joy of having the cars parked within the house and making late night forays easier - why duplicate all the costs and not all of us have such ceiling height (Phil) to fit a hoist. Any and all interested please contact. Michel

Comment

Great idea Michel

I've spent the last 3 years without an appropriate toyshop after moving in from the country to the city (much smaller and more expensive properties), I'm super pleased to have space again!

I recall visiting a mate in England years ago who was a fellow bike nut at the time. He and a bunch of mates had no garage space at their relative addresses. About six of them chipped in for a vacant shed located roughly in the middle of them all. They set it up great for their bikes and tools.
              John Forcier
              Restoration Saga

Comment

I've often wondered that if I had 2 beds.....

One in the House and One in the Garage......

Which One would I sleep in????

Perhaps you could help me with this answer??
                Attached Files

Comment

Gorgeous Aaron!

One day when I break the golden handcuff that is the public service, or negotiate telecommuting, I shall move back to a proper sized block and put your question to the test!

A mate built something similar and added a mezzanine loft with a couch, fridge and TV. The genius touch was the retractable access ladder to prevent his kids/wife/mormons from bothering him on a lazy Sunday
                  John Forcier
                  Restoration Saga

Comment

Working...
                  X