No announcement yet.

Classic Adel '08 Photos & Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam's down at the dry cleaners getting his race suit cleaned.......
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '24 MB GLA35 AMG- daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

What a cracking week!! Can't believe it's all over... although we're now dumped in the 'late classic' category with the C3 - still mangaed to win our class.
      Once I sort out this youtube thing, i'll post some links.
      Cheers,
      Nick
      PS - the view of Cam's car crawling past is a classic!

Comment

i have put up "The corkscrew" on my youtube page. this is the last and longest stage of day 1. i can't get the link here at work but if you hit my link above it should be pretty easy to find.

its a pretty cool stage, fast and flowing at the start then a very tight and complicated section at the end.

warning: the in-car language gets a bit blue at the end... not for the kiddies

ps. pls post the link if you view it.

Comment

got the link to work:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Great piece of road Ryan, but does your navigator ever stop to take a breath ? I find the constant dialogue a bit off-putting. If you ever listen to Barry Oliver call for Jim Richards, there is minimal conversation.

When I called pace notes for my brother in a few Rally Tasmania's, I tried to give the info as a driver would need it. If I got too far ahead, he stopped me cause all his concentraiton was on the immediate and subsequent corner.Do you prefer to have a constant stream of info, and have corners repeated as you get to them ??

Anyway, it didnt look like you got the car out of shape at all on this stage. You must be happy with the handling. It really looks like it goes exactly where its pointed (except around hairpins).

How has this changed from the previous setup of the car ? I am assuming wider rear rubber than before ?? I really notice the difference in my 72E which runs 7's & 8's compared to the same car with only 6's all round. The rear behaves much better in twisty stuff.
            sigpicPhil Lack
            R-Gruppe # 367
            '24 MB GLA35 AMG- daily

Comment

phil,

simon's constant calls/repetition are at my urging. i much prefer/require the constant stream of info.

the car is handling really well. we were also trying to not push too hard this year, given the changes to the car, new to me (kuhmo) rubber, and last years 'incident'...

tyres sizes are unchanged. however, the extra track/wheel widths have made the car more surefooted and reduced tyre squirm. we also stiffened up the front sway bar after testing at the track and added a little more rear brake bias during the rally. i was concerned we may lose some steering feel but we didn't. i still don't have a good feel for when the kuhmo's will go loose, but we were very happy with how they performed in adelaide.

Comment

Obviously you have a multi-tasking brain!

Sounds like your next event will be a better finish now you are used to teh car ??
                sigpicPhil Lack
                R-Gruppe # 367
                '24 MB GLA35 AMG- daily

Comment

who knows? i would like to think we can be more consistent.

however, i think we're going about as fast as i'm happy to go. my self preservation gene kicks in when i select 5th...

Comment

Ryan

Interesting comment about the Kumhos not providing the feedback at the limit. I'd be interested in others experience with other brand tyres regarding this. Or is this something that is more of an issue with 911s being tail heavy - I'm yet to learn about this feature!

I have had similar experience with Pirelli m/cycle tyres in the past and its no fun. I much prefer tyres that start to drift a little to give you a chance to catch it before it finally lets go.
                    Jeff Eelkema
                    TYP 901 #132
                    S-Reg #1431
                    69E (project)
                    various bevel Ducatis
                    60s Vespa

Comment

"Interesting comment about the Kumhos not providing the feedback at the limit."

hi jeff

that is not what i meant - my comment was intended to indicate that i have not yet had an oppurtunity to use them on a track and find out where their limits are. i presently don't know whether or not they go progressively or quickly at the limit as we didn't push them hard enough in adelaide - aside from one or two "slightly too hot" corner entries.

Comment

Brilliant photos! I can see a couple of nice posters on your garage wall
                        John Forcier
                        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                        Restoration Saga
                        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Jeff,

I echo Ryan's comments about the tyres. With most of these cars (early 911's) you can feel the limit coming in most cases. Depending on set up of the car, it will start to tell you what the limit it. So long as you don't do the lift off in a corner trick, the cars should understeer, and the be able to be controlled with the throttle. This is what I do on the track, however having the balls to do this in a rally is a LOT different.

As far as the effort from Ryan and Simon in a car straight out of the box, it was EPIC! The cars looks awesome, sounds awesome, and they are pretty good blokes to boot, but don't tell them that!

The Taylors did a great job winning their very competitive class.

Tony Rogers did superbly in his pretty stock 2.4E. Cam kept the new beast on the black stuff all weekend and is already pumped for next year!

We are now Pplatinum winners, and have to work out if we want to do another 3 years to get to Diamond? or is it Gold Platinum?
                          Alex Webster
                          A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

A few photos of mine, although I don't the the snaps are as good as Mr Curnick's. Lack of sunshine, I think.

Anyone happen to know how we went as Team Typ901 ??
                            Attached Files

Comment

nice pics andy. the event decals were a good fit with your car.

The link below is to the Basket Range stage, day 3. in my opinion, one of the best tarmac stages in Australia. Wild bit of road with almost no straight bits. Also the scene of last years little incident, so we may be going a little easy...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                              Last edited by OBRUT; 28-11-08, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X