Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading 912 brakes

Hi

So, is everyone coming to the 356 parade on Saturday at Como park? Should be good fun!

Anyway, I have decided to ditch the 2.2 for a 3.2 unleaded engine (with 915 Transmission) coming from the UK ($10k delivered).

Need to think of upgrading the brakes to handle the extra power... My question to those in the know - What's the best economical solution for a bolt on upgrade? I'm thinking of rebuilding a set of T's?

Cheers

R

Just buy a complete front end off a late model G series. Alloy X-mmember, bigger brakes, vented discs etc but you will need to upgrade your master cyclinder (23 mm ATE - Benz unit) . You can upgrade the rear callipers but its a lot more work. The biggest issue with just adding bigger callipers to teh fronts is that your struts will probably have a 3 in. pitch calliper attachment whereas later callipers need 3 1/2" pitch (I think).

You will then need to adjust front/rear brake bias if the rears remain original . Phil Hearn at Auto Coupe will advise you well on this.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Roland, if you are only doing street driving, I would leave the set up you have and just run really good pads, and maybe gets some new rotors. This way you are not mucking around with the set up, and you know that the cost will be lower. I run my race car with standard early 911 brakes, and they work great - a good set of pads are cheap compared to a whole new setup! That is my thoughts anyway.
      Alex Webster
      A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

i agree with alex - good pads, good fluid and maybe a slightly bigger m/c if you want to improve/stiffen the pedal feel (shorten the travel)

Comment

912 Brakes

Thanks gents.

Sounds like I might keep it stock then. I have installed a new 17mm dual master as well.

Can anyone give me the heads up on a good local vendor of disks and pads?

Cheers

Roland

Comment

I have used US distributors for new rotors, but locally sourced pads - I would get a street/race use pad, NOT full race. Ferrodo and Hawk have some great ones. Call Spencer Harrison and he will give you a good heads up.
            The ones that we put in Stewart's 911 are awesome.
            Alex Webster
            A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

I'm running Ferodos - they will chew rotors a bit quicker, but as the others attest, they are 'consumables' anyway.

I agree with Phil though, if you can find a cheap enough G series front suspension and brake set up, it is a bolt on upgrade and easily done over a long weekend...
              John Forcier
              1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
              1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
              Restoration Saga
              1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Roland, two more alternatives (Presuming you are replacing the solid 912 discs rather than 911T vented - in which case I'd follow Alex's advice). Race Brakes 44-68 Racecourse Rd Nth Melbourne, Howard Reynolds Ph.9326 6088 or try 911 parts in Adelaide for calipers www.911parts.com.au
                Cheers
                Paul M.

Comment

Roland

I have a set of M Callipers I wont be using if you need some.

Cheers

Cam
                  Cam Arnott
                  Looking for engine #6208151
                  1970 911E (Sold)
                  '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                  2 x Split Screen Kombis
                  TYP 901 Register # 78
                  Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Working...
                  X