Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical help sought!

No not shock therapy...yet!
    Last winter, I tried the two stage rear demister on my 69s. FAIL.
    Quick zap from front left ( not sure whether under dash or beyond) and the light on the demister knob went out after a brief illumination.
    This has also caused the blower fan to no longer work after the same incident.

Does anyone have any ideas where to start? Fuses all appear intact - as it happens, wiring diagrams suggest these devices are not fused.
    The lighter, which appears on the same circuit is working.
    Wiring is reasonably tidy underdash and bonnet ( fuse area a bit messy) and I've had the engine bay rewired.

Any ideas would be of great help! BTW it's 39 degrees today so an odd one to start thinking about!!

James, take it to a good autoelec and let him work it out. You could be chasing it for years!!!
    Alex Webster
    A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by alexwebster View Post
      James, take it to a good autoelec and let him work it out. You could be chasing it for years!!!
      +1 ! Auto elec frustrates the bejesus out of me! Ask yourself - what price my sanity??
      Cam Arnott
      Looking for engine #6208151
      1970 911E (Sold)
      '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
      2 x Split Screen Kombis
      TYP 901 Register # 78
      Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Yes, good call, thanks for the advice gents - will enable me to retain what hair is left!

Comment

Excuse the potentially stupid question, but did you check the fuses in the engine compartment? From memory the rear demister is fused there. If you haven't already I'd also run a multimeter over the fuses to check they're OK as sometimes they can blow and not be obvious to the eye. Before running off to the auto elec also have a look at the cable that runs from the engine bay to the window. In my car it runs along the hinge and is held in place by metal clips which is a recipe for a short circuit.
          Last edited by Paul W; 21-01-09, 10:11 AM.
          Paul Wischer
          1969 911T
          1979 Californian Moke
          TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Thanks Paul, yes all the fuses appear intact, checked as the 'zap/fizz' came from that region, but will check as advised - thanks again!

Comment

In my opinion, this guy is the best in Melbourne! Big call, but he is very professional and knows his stuff. He can make period correct looms as well.......

Comment

Working...
              X