No announcement yet.

1971T timewarp photos galore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who the .... would want the job of a concours judge. No one who is sane anyway.

I think we can let that go for some time yet like NEVER!!!!!!!
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Peter

The originality thing is fascinating isnt it. As it left the factory, taken to extremes, could mean the original oil and rego sticker. Another, more moderate view is that you replace worn parts with the same, as required to maintain the vehicle in the condition it was when it left the factory. A third view is that the factory engineers were constantly improving myriad things on a virtual daily basis, and therefore it is legitimate to upgrade components in line with that development - Zeniths to Webers as you point out. Sure you can upgrade an early 901 to later specs, but that will tend to make them all more the same, rather than celebrating the unique traits of each year over that extraordinarily intense, short nine year period that we are all so fascinated with.

I think for example if a 69 car is modified to resemble a 73, it is a bit of a shame. A bit like building mock Federation houses in 2006! I also recognise though that a lot of guys want to take these cars and mod them for racing, for obvious reasons. And there are plenty of examples out there that are suited to this because of previous mods, tired condition etc.

I reckon the middle position is about right though. Parts that are subject to normal wear and tear should be replaced to maintain the condition of the car, as indeed the service manual requires. Eventually though some "fixed" components will need to be replaced - paint gets tired, upholstery wears etc etc. When this is done, it is a fact that the car becomes less original. Not worse, just not original anymore. And that is why after 30 odd years the truly original cars are so rare and interesting. Late last year Clyde was at my place crawling over my 73E and he was pointing out little things that through his research he now knows to be the correct, original, factory detail. Little things like the sharp fold angle in the footwell storage pockets which every restorer always makes more rounded, and the plastic rivets in the door sill trims, which always get replaced with metal. The thing that is GREAT about authentic cars is that they are the only real touchstones to what the factory was building in that period. No photos or manuals or words can replace being able to see the real thing and use it as a guide for ongoing maintenance of the bloodline.

On another note, I have to say...never say NEVER, when it comes to these cars.

My experience is that as I have learned more my interests in models, spec, what I actually want out of the car has changed. Each of the three longhoods I have bought I have said..thats it!!

But my first car, a 70T which I loved dearly, became an instant tradeable commodity when one days my eyes happened upon the 73E . Fickle I'm sure. And I like the E a LOT, I admire it's timewarp qualities, but it doesnt get driven so much because a) I just like driving the S more, and b) I would really hate to damage it, and c) its low mileage, which within reason I would like to preserve.

So one day in the not so distant future it will probably move on to some-one who is goggle-eyed for that elusive originality, because I will develop an interest in something similar - maybe a convertible Roller or something like that...

cheers

tonyc

Comment

Hey Tony what was the final word from the NSW Concours did you win overall???

That E is a lovely car for sure now did I tell you I noticed a couple of things..............
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President

Comment

No...got whipped by those two red 944's with the dinnerplate undersides and one of the Turbo's. But 4th wasn't too bad for a first (and last!) go, given that you weren't too impressed with my unwillingness to spend whole weekends under the car. Also as I found out, I committed the UNPARDONABLE SIN of leaving a bottle of Spyder Venom in the glovebox!

Now go on Clyde, tell me about those couple of things.....

tonyc

Comment

Fantastic car Clyde. As a self confessed ‘originality freak’ you couldn’t possibly consider selling it! It'd probably end up with a slant nose body kit and V8 conversion.
            Paul Wischer
            1969 911T
            1979 Californian Moke
            TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Clyde,
              Fantastic car...the photos detail an amazing timewarp. Still hard to believe
              this one was for sale as long as it was. Its a keeper, but if you do sell,
              I may have to bring it back to the states

Love the shot of the Deep 6 w/ XWX tires...
              Attached Files

Comment

Chris,

I was impressed with that picture also.

My son took this picture from the passenger seat of my RS and it rates as a classic.

He was trying to take the car in the mirror but got the other one next to us at the same time.

Buying my new 71T is an expensive way to get a perfect speaker cover mate.
                Attached Files
                Clyde Boyer
                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                President

Comment

Tony,

Put me up for a week before the concourse next year and you will win hands down, after you build the garage!!!
                  Clyde Boyer
                  TYP 901 Register Inc.
                  President

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator
                    Chris,

Buying my new 71T is an expensive way to get a perfect speaker cover mate.
                    Haaa...yes it would be. I figure all the time I would save
                    NOT sourcing parts & making to-do lists is money in the bank 8)

I found a speaker cover in the bag of parts that came with my
                    car, Iam going to go with it for now. My dash & new found speaker
                    cover is off to Tony @ Autobahn for a re-do.
                    Thanks for sending pics though...

I guess I owe you a beer.....in Sonoma my friend !

-Chris

Comment

I thought Just Dashes was the only place that could re do the dash etc????
                      Clyde Boyer
                      TYP 901 Register Inc.
                      President

Comment

Tony says he has been doing dash's for a long time now.
                        I read too many threads about good/bad experiences w/ JustDashes,
                        so I sent one to Tony.

I'll post detailed pics when he is finished with it

Comment

Love to see those pics I have a 69 dash that needs doing but like you too afraid to send to Just Dashes and no one out here can do it thats for sure.

If you could buy the technology I would start a business.
                          Clyde Boyer
                          TYP 901 Register Inc.
                          President

Comment

Working...
                          X