New transmission mounts in 901 carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New transmission mounts in 901 carrier

Im rebuilding suspension at present ER bits and have decided to replace the transmission mounts. As the 901 rubber bushes are not readily replaceable and not wanting to buy New $780.00 carrier. I'm assuming there is a DIY fix.

Has anyone swapped out the original rubber bushes and replaced new? If so pressed out?

do the various aftermarket, oem bushes fit properly - types?

Other option would be to modify 915 carrier to take the 901 box allowing ready replacement. Anything special to consider with this option?

Any other options?

Cheers

Found the likely answer on the 912 bbs. So question rebel, wevo or other. Suggestions?

Am rebuilding with ER rubber so compliance is desirable over solid.

Still interested to know if any differences exist between the 901 and 915 box re the carrier.. I found a thread that discussed making an adaptor plate and mentioned thickness important but no actual number given. Anyone ever looked at this?
    Last edited by Michel; 05-04-13, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Mine are WEVO

No complaints so far!
      Cam Arnott
      Looking for engine #6208151
      1970 911E (Sold)
      '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
      2 x Split Screen Kombis
      TYP 901 Register # 78
      Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

cam blue or black? dont rebel make an oem rubber style also that will work?

Comment

It's not just that Hayden is a mate (disclosure ) but the products are hard to go past and extensively tested in real word 'mules'...

Here's the 901 stuff http://www.wevo.com/Products/Chassis...STransBeam.htm I think you can see that there's a fair difference between the 915 beam and the 901 beam.
          John Forcier
          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
          Restoration Saga
          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

I think blue on mine from memory.
            Cam Arnott
            Looking for engine #6208151
            1970 911E (Sold)
            '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
            2 x Split Screen Kombis
            TYP 901 Register # 78
            Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

John i seem to recall you eluding to some secret pre production wevo component you have installed?

Im aware of a difference with the 915 901 carrier and was curious to know what it amounted to in terms of a spacer thickness to keep correct alignment?

I can see that the wevo CAD dwg specifies a finished height for the modified 901 carrier. guess I should measure my existing one and compare to see if that tells me anything.

It is interesting that people are saying the 901 carrier not been able to be modified is a myth, though in the real world people are installing wevo and other products. Whilst I like the WEVO fix allowing 915 style mounts to be readily used it seems overkill if you can simply install there bushes without any mods?

Comment

Michel

I have the Wevo 901 "kit" but am still looking for a beam as my car has a modified sporto beam. Looking at the bits, Hayden (who I have also met and seems to be a smart engineer rather than a profit driven business type), has designed "cups" that are welded into the beam and these in turn then use "rubbers" which can be replaced easily and cheaply. The "rubbers" also match his engine mount "rubbers" which means the whole engine and gearbox assembly has the same complience depending on type of rubbers used. These are aslo designed to limit for and aft movement which helps shift quality etc.

I'm sure that if it was possible to design replaceable rubbers with the existing beam, someone would have done it. I can't really see how it can be done and properly support the gearbox without something like the wevo fix. You only need to do mod once. BTW, the wevo engine mounts look great as well.

cheers
                Jeff Eelkema
                TYP 901 #132
                S-Reg #1431
                69E (project)
                various bevel Ducatis
                60s Vespa

Comment

Jeff
                  I'm all in the support of good engineers and engineering, which the wevo product is.

It seems by Cams and others comments that they have fitted wevo or other 2part transmission mounts successfully to un modified carriers. Hence one of my questions above.

Jeff I could swap you a 915 carrier for the kit . You could opt to use a spacer/ adapter if correct thickness determined

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Eelkema View Post
                    Michel

I'm sure that if it was possible to design replaceable rubbers with the existing beam, someone would have done it. I can't really see how it can be done and properly support the gearbox without something like the wevo fix. You only need to do mod once. BTW, the wevo engine mounts look great as well.

cheers
                    Jeff there is this http://www.rebelracingproducts.com/i...smts901blk.jpg

Comment

I am also thinking that I should replace my 901 tranny mounts. From what I can see with WEVO (http://wevo.com/Products/ChassisProd...STransBeam.htm ) you have to get the whole crossbar mount and this only by sending them your old mount. Is there a better alternative?

Comment

Merv, the kit Jeff mentions from Wevo can be installed by anyone with welding skills. So you may need to farm the job to a local if you don't weld, but you certainly don't need to send it all to Wevo to do.
                        John Forcier
                        Restoration Saga

Comment

Merv

I had considered the WEVO kit and it is a tidy solution to the $700 buy a new porsche x member.

However it is a myth that you cannot use the existing 901 x member.

It is possible to press out the bush and fit a 2 part after market bush.

I think there are only two options here?

Rebel or super pro

My issue with both though is the material may be too hard?

any comments by others on;

are there any other aftermarket alternates not mentioned and

is the rebel or super pro bush too hard for mainly road/ occasional track day

Merv if I do buy the rebel unit or other from 0/S happy to do a little mini group buy.
                          Last edited by Michel; 09-05-14, 12:54 PM.

Comment

I've got super-pro on mine ( before I knew about the wevo). Haven't tried them yet!

Of interest I tried an experiment with my old engine mounts (rubber) and tried to push them into the trans carrier...... They distorted badly, and wouldn't sit in the carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by Classic View Post
                              I've got super-pro on mine ( before I knew about the wevo). Haven't tried them yet!

Of interest I tried an experiment with my old engine mounts (rubber) and tried to push them into the trans carrier...... They distorted badly, and wouldn't sit in the carrier.
                              Ditto. I have a nearly new set of engine mounts sitting around and I thought, "Maybe?". So I pushed out an old rubber bushing from an old mount to try first... The 915/engine engine mount bushes don't fit in the 901 carrier.

FWIW I'm using Wevo (blue) in the Blue car and have no issue with noise etc, but have ordered another full set of black (softer) which will go in the Blue car and the blue mounts will go in the Green car...
                              John Forcier
                              Restoration Saga

Comment

Working...
                              X