• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome!
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Cold and wet again in Melbourne so spent an hour putting the seat bases back together

Process is as follows

Make sure you re insatll the parts exactly as they came off there are some very subtle differences that matter if you get them the wrong way around particularly mark the seat lock block when you remove it so you can re install it the same way.

1. Clean all excess paint/powder coat away from the slot in the frame where the seat lock block sits as the tolerance is very tight in this area. If you have early to late double locking seats you will need to do both sides.

2. Re install the zinc handle though the frame and through the middle of the seat lock block (do not insert locking pin through the block and handle at this stage).

3. Attach spring at the other end of zinc handle and install locking pin through the hole in zinc handle leave a bit more sticking to the oustide of the frame as this is the bit the spring sits on

4. Turn zinc handle as far to the left (towards middle of the seat) as you can and lever the end of the spring over the locking pin. (pic 3)

5. Rotate zinc handle as far the other way as it will go, it will be under max spring pressure at this stage and line up the hole in the zinc handle with the hole in the seat lock block and insert locking pin and hammer home until fully in (pic 4)

Seat locking mechanism should now work again

Install locked seat base runner on each side and then the moveable seat runner on both sides make sure you install the one with the slots on the side where the seat lock block is.

The pin/long screw to stop the runner going to far forward or back must be installed last with the sliding seat runners lined up with the ends of the frame. There is a lock bolt on each side(pic 1)

Install recaro knob onto zinc lock handle and file back paint from the top of the tilt seat release lever so that recaro knob will re install there too

Your finished now wait for seats!!! (pic 2)

If you think I need more pics to help with the explanation let me know will take the when I do the other side..never done a tutorial before:p
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Terminator; 05-07-14, 03:56 PM.
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President
      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Couple more pics
        Attached Files
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President

Comment

Seats at trimmers currently so time to re assemble the other bits and pieces.

Headrest supports re plated and tin ware powder coated in crinkle finish like side plates similar to factory finish.

I was once told the crinkle finish on the sides plates aof all 72/73 seats was made by painting followed by air being blown over the wet paint to create the crinkle/splatter look.

Side recliners all bolted back together and release arm re plated but not yet re installed, next step is the spring back in place. I think I am going to make a tool for that job this time rather than use brute force and good luck.
          Attached Files
          Clyde Boyer
          TYP 901 Register Inc.
          President

Comment

Dave made a great torsion bar to make getting the springs back on easily available to anyone wanting to do the same job at some stage.

Finished it off by putting the levers back in place with springs and all working just fine now.

Seats almost done had an issue with vinyl which was sent folded and the folds didn't heat out so had to get some more
            Attached Files
            Clyde Boyer
            TYP 901 Register Inc.
            President

Comment

Fantastic reference point. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Real dedication Clyde and excellent work. Don't know how you find the time.

Comment

Sooo...... to continue this thread I had a pair of double locker seats to restore for the 73S Targa, double locker Recaro Sport seats started in Jan 73 approx.

Usual deal, bases disassembled and powder coated, runners zinc plated, controlling arms polished and some pictures taken of the rather intricate assembly that operates the double locking mechanism to aid at reassembly.

The detachable seat receiver has the extra slots to receive the extra locking mechanism.

As they are late 73 seats also have the double washer at front and rear corner of the detachable seat receiver

Now for the actual seats.
                  Attached Files
                  Clyde Boyer
                  TYP 901 Register Inc.
                  President

Comment

Nice work Clyde!

Cheers,

Harry.

Comment

You are the Recaro Meister Clyde. Very impressive work.

Comment

Immaculate as usual.

Comment

If you have not written a reference book you must. It's your calling.
                          [B]M.P.Lanza

Comment

Dave and I re installing springs with the Dave made handy tool

Next to nigh impossible without this tool...don't know how I used to manage it previously now its a 2 minute job
                            Attached Files
                            Clyde Boyer
                            TYP 901 Register Inc.
                            President

Comment

What about the plastic dust cover assemblies that sit over the recline mechanisms? Often they're missing, so do you know if they're available? I'm missing a couple so would dearly like to source some.

Comment

Yes the tiny tabs on those break when you remove them if they are still in place, I have one of the 2 from these seats but I won't re install.

Its nothing special you can make up something that would be close and silastic in place not really visible anyway
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Terminator; 18-12-15, 08:52 AM.
                                Clyde Boyer
                                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                                President

Comment

Working...
                                X