thinking of selling my 2.2 1970 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris

Your 2.2 would be a good start point for a short stroke 2.5 like the STs ran around 72 so still period correct. The 2.2s ran a 66mm crank which was the shortest stroke used (same as 2.0). The Ts did have non-counterweighted cranks but this isn't an issue unless you want to regularly rev it over 7500rpm. Fit some bigger cylinders and higher compression pistons, some later heads (cheap) which gives you bigger valves and ports, some S cams and rebuild/rejet the carbs. 72Ts ran carbs and so did early STs so I don't see much point is looking at MFi stuff. Fairly easy to get over 200hp with this combo.

The rebuild costs are much the same regardless of size and compression etc so you just need to decide what you want before you sell a good core. The cases and crank are the key starters, the rest just bolts on. You will most likely need new pistons and cylinders with any rebuild and size/compression doesn't really change the cost. There is limit with case size as to how big you can go and some bigger sizes will require some machining of the cases.

Selling yours and buying a 2.4T engine and upgrading it to RS spec with carbs is also a good option if you can locate a good 2.4. Another easy 200+hp engine. The 2.4s and 2.7s used a slightly longer stroke which gives a bit more torque but doesn't rev as well as short stroke. Just a different character. John F has this combo but I think he started with a slightly later 2.7 core. I've only been in the passenger seat but it seems to work well

Lots of good info in the engine rebuild section on Pelican Parts forum that will help you get your head around different combos. Lots of jargon but If you read enough it should start to make sense but feel free to ask tech questions either here or on PP.

cheers
    Jeff Eelkema
    TYP 901 #132
    S-Reg #1431
    69E (project)
    various bevel Ducatis
    60s Vespa

Comment

The thing I don't get about sending MFI pumps overseas is that they sometimes (usually?) need tuning after they're installed . . . the idle mixture adjustment can be done externally by turning various screws but I believe higher RPM mix can only be tuned by opening up the pump? [I am not an expert on this stuff!!] Not sure what you do if the pump comes back from the US and then needs higher RPM mix adjustments? Trust your local mechanic not to undo all the good work done overseas?

There is a guy on the Northern Beaches in Sydney that Autohaus Hamilton use for MFI pump rebuilds . . . I believe one of the main reasons they switched to him was this exact issue . .. frustration with overseas rebuilds that needed adjustment once fitted to the car.
      Last edited by npvpositive; 07-10-14, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks Jeff & Jeff
        Some great advice there.

jedwards,
        Fantastic to hear your car was reunited with it's original engine! That's a real needle in a haystack. I wasn't sure how much to ask but now have a much better idea thanks.

Jeff Eelkema,
        I was also unsure before if 2.2T was a good starting place for a 2.5 short stroke. A lot of people really seem to pay out on the poor old T engines. However from what you have outlined it seems quite possible to build this using the 2.2T.
        A lot of people seem to favour the 7R case. I have a 2R case.

One of my friend's is currently restoring his 911 and it has a 3.0 SC engine. Perhaps I should wait until he has it running again and workout which I like better.

Has anyone here had a 2.5 short stroke, 3.0 or even 3.2? Interested to hear which you prefer and why.

Thanks again,

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris, can't offer a comparison of the varying engine capacities, however can speak on behalf of the 3.0 in my car. Running Weber 40s. Extremely driveable including in heavy traffic. 140kw at the rear wheels and plenty of torque. I shall not speak of fuel efficiency.

Cheers
          Dirk

Comment

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with a 3.0 in your 1970 911T. Sounds like a lot of fun

It's also good to hear that it works well in heavy traffic even with carbs. I'm still getting my head around the Zenith's at the mo.

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

Working...
            X