No announcement yet.

Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm running the single Odyssey set on its side in the left battery box. It's been in there since 2003 with no issues. I also leave the car plugged in to a battery saver when I'm not driving it.
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

hmmm... i remember that quite vividly!

went something like this:

(very narrow, windy road...)
      ...aaarrgghh, big f'ing truck... phew, missed truck...
      ...damn, why is the gear shift knob loose in my hand...
      ... hmmm... why is there nothing happening when i push the "Go" pedal?...
      ...oh, s^&*... why is the cabin filling with smoke...

pulled over very quickly to find that the second battery lead had shorted to the body - but thanks to Clyde's targa having a spare i was able to keep going!!!

Things do go wrong in these cars occassionally - but isn't it great when you can get 'em going again?!?

cheers

rich
      Richard Griffiths
      1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Same thing happened to me - after not driving my 911 for 4 weeks due to lack of time, took it out last weekend - started fine, drove fine. At the petrol station, battery died. Thank God there was a kind-hearted mechanic there at the same time who jump started my car. Going to buy a charger that has automatic stages to keep the battery charged when it's not driven.

Comment

Against the advice of many I did the change over to a single Odyssey. In my experience it was an absolute dog. The thing constantly self discharged and was dead flat if the car wasn’t driven / charged every 3 weeks. Took it back to the people who sold it to me, who tested it and said it was working within spec – had it check by an independent auto elec who also said it was OK. After battling with it for over a year I changed over to a single Bond, which has been great. Can leave the car for better than a month and it still has more than enough juice.

As an aside the people who originally sold me the Odyssey warned me at length that the manufacturer was a shocker (excuse the pun) with warrantee issues and despite being a dealer didn’t recommend them.

Just my $.02

Cheers
          Paul Wischer
          1969 911T
          1979 Californian Moke
          TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Have had problems finding replacement batteries for my car...... and remembered this post which, with some advice from Andrew Vidler, was very useful.

Called Bond Batteries (5441 1410 - speak with Ben or Justin) and have ordered 2 batteries via ultra-tune in Prahran. For future reference the required model number (for a 2 battery set up) is 443SMF.
            '71 911 T 2.7
            TYP 901 Register #16
            Early 911S Register #2460
            Looking for engine # 6112862

Comment

Read post #14 Marcus that info was all there for you
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President
              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...