Porsche Factory Photos from the early 70s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porsche Factory Photos from the early 70s

The things you find online when you're wide awake at 4.45am...

The link takes you to the Early911NZ site, where it has a bunch of factory photos from the early 70s. Of note, the '1971' photos show 1973 cars, so I'm thinking its late 1972-1973. Also some interesting G-series stuff too (apologies for those who have seen the site's photos before)

It's a fantastic collection of images. Oh, to be able to go back in time...

A great collection of pics, obviously from someone who took a very early factory tour. Whilst I was able to also walk the factory in the late 90's, taking photos was verboten!

I was able to recognise some of the areas I visited although many changes have been made to the buildings now and some areas in these pics have been built over, extended and just not recognisable anymore.

I was lucky enough to see many of the original areas such as the race dept where engines were built and the workshops where factory restorations were done.

A pity a lot of this is now gone and only photos like on this site are left.

Wouldn't we all love to be able to have joined that tour in 1971 and see the details of how our cars were built.

I love some of the body shop pics with the beer bottles lined up on the wall. Obviously hot work at the time and from some of the pics showing cars with side oil tanks, can only assume its around September with the introduction of the first 72 models being built.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Yeah I bet there wouldn't be any shirtless dungaree wearing blokes in the factory these days...

Comment

We have a whole lot from my dads visit in 1963, and then again from 1972.

I have had some scanned, but 3 moves in 3 years mean I'm not sure exactly which box the discs are in, and the original slides are in safe keeping back in Sydney.

When I do get them, I'll be sure to post them.
        Justin Reed
        aka Reedminor
        1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
        1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
        1961 356B #114700
        Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Amazing stuff. The WHS guys today would have heart attacks.

Comment

Geez that link to the early 911nzdownloads has heaps of info on the cars, must be from factory manuals all in PDF format. Well worth bookmarking for future reference.
            Kane Kennedy
            Typ 901 Register #204
            71 911E Metallic Green

Comment

Wow- Check out the RS bible under the RS link
              Kane Kennedy
              Typ 901 Register #204
              71 911E Metallic Green

Comment

Hi All,

I, like Phil, have been fortunate enough to visit the Porsche factory twice, once in 1988 and once in 1993.

I was not allowed to take photos in the factory but still have great memories of a time when cars were made by men and women and not robots.

I did see the 964 before it was released and snapped that as well as plenty of pics in the old museum.

Cheers,

Harry.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Harry; 08-06-15, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing guys!
                  Tom Laube
                  Instagram - #first_corner_fever

Porsche - '73 LHD 911T, '72 RHD 911T, '79 All Rounder SC
                  VW - '60 Type1 Factory Sunroof, '64 Kombi

Comment

Love the Ferris Beuler pic Harry.

Comment

Great photos thanks for sharing I swear I saw my targa on the production line

And the picture of all the 72 Porsches in the holging area wow

It reminds me what do you call a gathering of Porsches ?

Comment

A ****load of money
                        Clyde Boyer
                        TYP 901 Register Inc.
                        President
                        Early S Register Member #294

Comment

"It reminds me what do you call a gathering of Porsches ?"

A Phalanx of Porsches?

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
                            Love the Ferris Beuler pic Harry.
                            Ha ha, yes Merv, very '80s indeed, stone wash jeans and all.

I must say though that the old museum, although a poky little room compared with what is there today, had soul and actually felt like you were in a place that housed cars of historical signifance. Today's museum looks a little too operating room sterile for my liking.

Cheers,

Harry.

Comment

So was that a family trip to Germany, Harry ? Who else was interested in Porsche at the time ?

And yes I have been to the old museum room a few times and it was an 'intimate' place to say the least. They did seem to rotate cars around so always different the next time around.

The old factory tours were also far more interesting and allowed some pretty close up encounters with the cars and workers. I especially liked the engine manufacturing line where you stood next to the guy building it. Not so now as robots do a lot of the work. Pity.
                              sigpicPhil Lack
                              TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                              Early 911-S Registry # 690
                              R-Gruppe # 367
                              '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                              '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                              2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                              1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X