No announcement yet.

Too many watchers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Adam, no my thoughts were a general concern about the security of our cars, as they gain rarity and value. If you spend some time on classic car forums, as I do quite a lot, it is noticeable that there has been a rise in the theft of these earlier and easier to steal cars, for example both the Toyota and Volkswagen clubs in Australia have had members cars stolen in recent weeks. (Overseas, DDK members are becoming reluctant to take their 911s to Europe because of thefts from hotel car parks and classic car events). So essentially, I am saying that we should be careful about personal details, like going on holiday. With the amount of information that is searchable on the internet, it is too easy to determine someone's address if you have some basic information. Hence Mr Upwey's entry above.
    Cheers
    Paul M

Comment

My thoughts are that the forum is for members as much as people who have an avid interest in the early 911's. I think it needs to be dynamic and it gives outsiders an opportunity to understand what people are doing with their cars, how passionate we are and ultimately how the market is travelling and what cars are sellling for and what some of the major issues are that buyers need to look out for. I do not think we should cut off access to some of the insider information re cars and parts. I think it is as much about networking and knowing who is doing what and who may have bits you are chasing as actually seeing stuff offered on the site. It is normally sold within 30 minutes anyway.

Comment

I've hinted at this before but there's probably more going on behind the scenes here in terms of parts changing hands than what gets posted publicly. If you don't join and meet other members you are missing out on more than meets the eye ;-)
        Cam Arnott
        Looking for engine #6208151
        1970 911E (Sold)
        '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
        2 x Split Screen Kombis
        TYP 901 Register # 78
        Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron Arnott View Post
          I've hinted at this before but there's probably more going on behind the scenes here in terms of parts changing hands than what gets posted publicly. If you don't join and meet other members you are missing out on more than meets the eye ;-)
          So incredibly true!

There really is stuff going on behind the scenes that may never become common knowledge. The price of access to this is worth so much more than $50. But I have no issue with someone anonymously riding vicariously on a thread. I have been helped out several times by non-members reading a thread and letting me know about something or another to my benefit through a phone call or email. One of those '68 recaro sport seats came to me this way.

Regarding personal information etc... Well if you haven't worked out that EVERYTHING on the net is open to misuse, you're pretty naive. And I haven't met any dummies on this forum yet. I'm sure there is some nefarious activity that could occur through access to VINs and engine numbers, but frankly the risk is pretty low; and I know first hand anomalies are identified very quickly...

Don't forget VINs and rego numbers are available to ANYONE legally - you just need to know how to go about it.
          John Forcier
          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
          Restoration Saga
          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Originally posted by AdamGill View Post
            Hi Paul

Were your thoughts here limited to 'cars for sale'?

I, like the majority of members, was a watcher before I became a member. There are lots of (global) forums and this was the best suited to my requirements hence I joined. The membership fee is peanuts, $50 AUD for locals and $25 AUD for international (http://www.typ901.org/faq.php?faq=me...faq_membership) however I only joined when I had decided that I wanted to purchase. I don't believe the forum in itself is a good way of finding a car (how many cars get posted for sale here as opposed to Carsales / Gumtree?) however the forum gives you access to owners, cars that are sold off market, and enormous volumes of information when you do finally find a car.

As prices continue to rise and the volume of vehicles selling reduces I see the forum continuing to offer the benefits that I have listed above. I don't see that a closed 'cars for sale' section would in real terms offer any benefit to a prospective member. A recent proposal to include IB cars however would increase our numbers and cover those members who have now moved to the next model.

Cheers
            Adam
            We allready have quite a few members who aspire to or who have owned TYP 901 cars, but currently own IB cars, and they are most welcome as members, already covered in our charter.

The early 911S Registry battled this issue for years to block or not.

Personal opinion here, I like it how it is.
            Clyde Boyer
            TYP 901 Register Inc.
            President
            Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...
            X