X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is This Normal?

Hi Guys,

Is it normal:

1. for the gauge illumination to be so poor you can't read the numbers on the gauges? The lighting is good enough to highlight the markers, but having a nice to see gauge at night is simply not possible at the moment. The rheostat controlling the brightness is working fine (0-5ohm range).

Thanks in advance,
    Nick

I'll probably build on this thread as the question of 'Is this normal?' seems to come up quite a bit.

As can probably be seen with the number of posts etc I have done, I have become a P-car owner only very recently. Always admired/desired them, just took a while to take the plunge.

Anyway, the key question I need answered before diving off any trying to fix something is whether or not I should expect it to start with!

You can get a set of LEDs that make a big difference, including the option of a 'warmer' light more closely matching the original.

When I made the change I checked the rheostat and it no longer works. However, to be honest, I am not sure it ever was. Fairly sure I read threads confirming that the rheostat can still work with these.

Comment

I made the change to LED also and the rheostat works fine.

Cheers,

Harry.

Comment

also with the "normal" lighting it depends whether all the globes are working or not, whether they are dirty obscuring the light and whether the earths are good or not

they are all pretty easy to pull out - by pulling out the gauges - except for tacho ones as the tacho needs the steering wheel removed to pull it out so it is not a big job to check and clean them for a start
        Hugh Hodges
        1973 E
        Australian TYP 901 Register #005
        Early 911S Register #776

Comment

40-50 years of dirt, condensation, and cigarette smoke. The gauges aren't sealed to any real extent. The original bulbs are bound to be coated with cooked on grunge too.

It's a slippery slope, but I sent my gauges off to NHS (as many here have done) for specific work relating to my bespoke set up. But I'm sure there are a couple of local techs that can pop the gauges open, clean the glass and faces, and close them up using the correct swagging tools.

Order LEDs in "vintage white" - there are several suppliers now. Normal white looks bluish and just not right in old cars. My rheostat certainly works with the LEDs I received. DO NOT REPLACE THE ALTERNATOR GLOBE WITH AN LED - that will result in a smoking alternator!

Clean earth terminals and wiring!

You will end up with excellent gauges and night visibility
          John Forcier
          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
          Restoration Saga
          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Here's a pic of my gauges with vintage white LEDs.

Cheers,

Harry.
            Attached Files

Comment

Great pic Harry. I googled looking for a picture like that and none came up.

Where did you get the LED's from?

N

Comment

Grab a drink...

John Forcier
                1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                Restoration Saga
                1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Originally posted by NICHOLASJCRAIG View Post
                  Great pic Harry. I googled looking for a picture like that and none came up.

Where did you get the LED's from?

N
                  This is where I bought mine:

http://airboxer.com/LED.html

Cheers,

Harry.
                  Last edited by Harry; 19-06-15, 09:42 PM.

Comment

You need fuel Harry��

Comment

Originally posted by Banksy View Post
                      You need fuel Harry��
                      Thanks Tim, hopefully she will make it to the servo

Cheers,

Harry.

Comment

Working...
                      X