No announcement yet.

I think it is time to sell the Porsche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That car was Jim Rearks old car and he competed many times in Targa in it. Our member, Carl Jones rebuilt the engine after a disaster with another mechanic . The argument was long and expensive and Jim's car was off the road a long time.

Jim was the long serving president of the Maserati Club and was the reason the club was so successful and active. I was a member for many years and enjoyed Jim's enthusiasm and leadership. It was a sad day a few years ago when Carl and I and a host of other petrolheads, farewelled Jim after 70+ years on this earth. His Ferrari lead the funeral procession to the cemetery. Fittingly, Jim was buried in his racing suit - which his daughter observed during the eulogy, was flameproof, in case his route directions to the afterlife were less than holy.

I did ask Carl if the car was worth buying and this is about the expected price because it needed a lot of work to get it back to being a road car. Of course, its a perfect track car or Targa car but as John has observed above, it will need a lot of looking after and would never be a cheap car to run.

Having owned a Ferrari and many Porsches, I can say from experience, the Porsche is a far, far easier car to live with, a lot easier to work on and the parts are readily available.

I went for lunch down the Mornington peninsula today to the same place we had taken the Ferrari to almost a year earlier, even the weather was the same (rain, cold). I remarked to Sheryl just how much better the 993 handled the roads and conditions than the F360 did. Mainly talking about useable ground clearance here and ease of driving and visibility in rain. The Ferrari has a better engine and more power and the handling is exceptional - but the 993 is better all round , even as a daily. I could never drive the 360 as a daily driver.

Its up on my hoist at work at present getting a full service done and I can say the Germans know how to build a car a lot better in terms of working on it and getting to critical areas. Like I had to remove the rear bumper to get to the gearbox oil filler. No wonder Ferrari owners complain about high service charges - it just takes hours to get to basic service items.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Cairns888 View Post
      When it comes down to how many hours a year you drive verse maintenance it makes sense.
      Anyone driven a Dino?
      Probably a raw clunky beast at a guess.
      Havent driven a 308 Dino, Carl Jones can comment on these, but have driven a 246 Dino and this was a very sweet handling car back in 1973 when one of its rivals was a carrera RS. My friend paid $15,000 for it new. I think RS's were around $14K then ? Interesting to see what teh relative prices for each car is now. Dino 246's have taken off but nothing like real RS's.

The 246 had a great revving V6 and outstanding handling being mid engined. Also a great looking car, even to this day.

But what I would really love is a 246 Dino engined Lancia Stratos. The pic below is of my brother Steve, about to head off for a quick spin in a friends Stratos during Rally Tasmania in 2001. I drove it a year later up in Sydney. Its like sitting in a jet fighter shoulder-to-shoulder with your navigator and a huge curved windscreen where you cant even see the front of the car.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by e72phil; 17-07-15, 10:15 PM.
      sigpicPhil Lack
      R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

I am with you on the Stratos, Phil. An all time great.

Comment

I have a friend finishing a Stratos replica but using (of all engines) a Toyota Aurion V6. He's going through the motions of getting it road registered. Tiny but exceptionally pretty cars!

That is is what you get with Italians... Simple beauty. But at a cost
          John Forcier
          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
          Restoration Saga
          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

John, the 3 litre Alfa V6 is also a popular motor for Stratos replicas. I seriously looked at them in the UK during a visit there years ago. They are still offered by Hawk Cars UK:

Hawk Cars, Kit cars, Replicas, Hawk Collection, Hawk HF Series, HF2000, HF3000, Stradale, Group 4, Transformer Cars, Coffin spoke wheels, Stratos wheels

But you really need to be an Italian jockey to comfortably fit into them. I remember the door had a cavanous door pocket into which you could fit your helmet (for rallying). You had to get into the car seat, grad your helmet, then(wiht teh door still wide open) lean out of eh car, put on yr helmet and duck yr head to settle back into the seat. It was not possible, unless you were really short, to get in with yr helmet on.

Tight !

A famous Group 4 Stratos below. Such a pity to thrash these around on dirt roads.
            Attached Files
            sigpicPhil Lack
            R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

I thought the Aurion choice was odd, but he picked up a 3000km wrecked car for $2k with all the computers, ABS, TCS etc... Pretty sure the kit is a Hawk - but an older and previously aborted project.
              John Forcier
              Restoration Saga

Comment

alfa = fruity note great aesthetics and performance, but a toyota v6 is no slouch - up to 300 + hp factory and TRD did a supercharged number for awhile

Comment

Out of SkunkWerks, Brisbane... The Group B Quattro is next in the queue!
                  Attached Files
                  John Forcier
                  Restoration Saga

Comment

I was once told that these are almost impossible to drive on the open road. So much of the balance is arranged with the driver as pivot, they are perfect for rally, but not otherwise. The Fiat X-19 is of course a similar car, and much under rated
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Merv; 18-07-15, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X